Review of 447 cam performance

Aug 28, 2020
Monaca, Pa, USA
Yesterday I got my 2020 M8 114 back from the dealer. I do not have a Dino chart to share but I went on 30 mile ride today ( unusual 65 degree March day). First of all I am not a mechanic and and only share my impressions based on riding experience on many different bikes since 1983.

I have done (or had dealer do) multiple modifications on a variety of bikes over the years. I can say without a doubt the 447 cam upgrade has been the most noticeable power increase I have experienced. I also did screaming eagle intake and tuner.

My last bike (Indian Springfield) , I did pipes, intake and tuner. I noticed a slight increase, I had to concentrate to notice. This upgrade on my TriGlide was quite obvious when I hit around 3000 rpms. Wow! Like I said I do not have dYna charts but this power increase was very obvious.

I climbed a steep hill with my wife on the back in 5th gear and prob could have gone to 6th. The torque feels like it just wants to pull. I will later post how it impacts my gas mileage. I also put a HD cooling fan with an auto thermostat to try and offset the potential heat increase from the cam. Talking with Kevin from DK Customs is making me consider an oil cooler ( prob after warranty). I will be doing some of DK custom mods after warranty as well. I really enjoy this trike and now I just want to twist that throttle. Be Safe BK

Glad you are pleased with the result, It sounds like you can feel the increase in torque without seeing the dyno sheet and thats what coubts :clapping: My Freewheeler goes in soon for the same cam so its interesting to hear your thoughts.

I have the high flow Screeming Eagle air cleaner, V&H slip ons with the baffles removed and DK Thunder Torque inserts plus the FP3 tuner. I have downloaded the new map for the cam upgrade so that can go on once the work is done. now its just the waiting .....

Glad you are pleased with the result, It sounds like you can feel the increase in torque without seeing the dyno sheet and thats what coubts :clapping: My Freewheeler goes in soon for the same cam so its interesting to hear your thoughts.

I have the high flow Screeming Eagle air cleaner, V&H slip ons with the baffles removed and DK Thunder Torque inserts plus the FP3 tuner. I have downloaded the new map for the cam upgrade so that can go on once the work is done. now its just the waiting .....

I don’t think you will be disappointed at all. Let me know your thoughts after you get it back. Be Safe

When I started looking for a cam I talked to the shop that was going to be doing the dyno tuning and the 447 was one of the cams that was discussed. I had researched several cams and came to the conclusion that I wanted to go with the S&S 465 cam. It made on my 17 over 95 ft lbs of torque at 2500 rpm and peaks at 107 torque at 3400 rpm which is right in the cruising range and my trike went from 73 rear wheel hp to 90. So to say the least you can really feel the difference.

Even the tech who runs the dyno and does all the shops bigger engine builds was impressed with how much low end torque this cam made. So a cam is one of the biggest bangs for the dollars spent. If you are thinking about a cam go to Youtube and look at Moonshine Harley Davidson cam shoot out. They do a very good cam comparison of several cams, Screaming Eagle ,Andrews, S&S, and several others.

When I started looking for a cam I talked to the shop that was going to be doing the dyno tuning and the 447 was one of the cams that was discussed. I had researched several cams and came to the conclusion that I wanted to go with the S&S 465 cam. It made on my 17 over 95 ft lbs of torque at 2500 rpm and peaks at 107 torque at 3400 rpm which is right in the cruising range and my trike went from 73 rear wheel hp to 90. So to say the least you can really feel the difference. Even the tech who runs the dyno and does all the shops bigger engine builds was impressed with how much low end torque this cam made. So a cam is one of the biggest bangs for the dollars spent. If you are thinking about a cam go to Youtube and look at Moonshine Harley Davidson cam shoot out. They due a very good cam comparison of several cams, Screaming Eagle ,Andrews, S&S, and several others.

My limited mechanical knowledge and research shows the M8’s really respond well to cams.

Yesterday I got my 2020 M8 114 back from the dealer. I do not have a Dino chart to share but I went on 30 mile ride today ( unusual 65 degree March day). First of all I am not a mechanic and and only share my impressions based on riding experience on many different bikes since 1983.

I have done (or had dealer do) multiple modifications on a variety of bikes over the years. I can say without a doubt the 447 cam upgrade has been the most noticeable power increase I have experienced. I also did screaming eagle intake and tuner.

My last bike (Indian Springfield) , I did pipes, intake and tuner. I noticed a slight increase, I had to concentrate to notice. This upgrade on my TriGlide was quite obvious when I hit around 3000 rpms. Wow! Like I said I do not have dYna charts but this power increase was very obvious.

I climbed a steep hill with my wife on the back in 5th gear and prob could have gone to 6th. The torque feels like it just wants to pull. I will later post how it impacts my gas mileage. I also put a HD cooling fan with an auto thermostat to try and offset the potential heat increase from the cam. Talking with Kevin from DK Customs is making me consider an oil cooler ( prob after warranty). I will be doing some of DK custom mods after warranty as well. I really enjoy this trike and now I just want to twist that throttle. Be Safe BK

For even better performance, ditch the screaming eagle (EPA) tune and get it dyno'd. You have everything else in place.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb2024Free
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png