Gas Mileage

I've always ridden older bike so I am not used to all the electronics and computers. I purchased a 2011 Tri glide in November. I have only been getting between 20 and 25 miles to the gallon. What should I look at to figure what might be dragging it down? I suspect something in the computer but not sure. It also seems a little sluggish to me starting off in 1st gear unless I twist the throttle more than usual. I bought the extended warranty so I'm trying to get in touch with the service manager. Just wanted some input.

Assuming that the bike is running correctly, there are issues built into a trike design that would cause your mileage to be less than a two wheeled bike with the same engine. First of all, the trike is a bigger bike with a wider stance which causes more wind resistance thereby requiring more power from the engine. Plus you are driving two wheels in the rear instead of one. The next factor is the weight, with a rider on board with his riding gear on it would be easy to reach a combined vehicle weight of around 1,500 lbs. Again this would require the engine to work harder which would reduce your MPG. There are modifications that you could make that might increase your mileage but the best that you could hope for is a few miles per gallon. So you have to ask yourself if those modifications are worth it. Some mods will increase the power of the engine which will make it more fun to ride but not really help or may even hurt your MPG. All in all you have to do your research and decide if the mods are worth it. This site is a great place for information about any and all modification that can be made to your trike and what the real world results will be. I for one am not concerned with the MPG and just accept the fact that it is not great. Instead I'm concentrating on improving the ride and handling of the trike along with making mods that help with keeping the engine as cool as possible.

I've always ridden older bike so I am not used to all the electronics and computers. I purchased a 2011 Tri glide in November. I have only been getting between 20 and 25 miles to the gallon. What should I look at to figure what might be dragging it down? I suspect something in the computer but not sure. It also seems a little sluggish to me starting off in 1st gear unless I twist the throttle more than usual. I bought the extended warranty so I'm trying to get in touch with the service manager. Just wanted some input.

Jerry, Welcome to Trike-Talk........I Had a 2011 Tri-Glide...And riding around town i would a get around 28 MPG.....And on the highway...Not riding fast or slow but just riding it 36/38 MPG'S.....That said are you sure you are putting the same amount of gas in every time, It is very tricky to fill the tank to the same level/amount every time..??

Hi Jerry -WELCOME Since I never owned a 11 Tri but have own 16 & now a 20. My gas mileage for both trikes is 30-32 mi/gal city and 34-36 mi/gal highway. Since you bought this bike used, I would wonder if they added a cam, which would decrease your mileage (any other mods or tunes), especially if it wasn't tuned correctly. May want to get some more info on the bike so know what your working with from dealer or previous owner.

Hi Jerry, Welcome to Trike Talk

You pose a very good question with many answers

However without knowing the history of your Trike it will be impossible to give you the best answer. You said you have warranty? Have your dealer check it out, they should for sure check the ECM and confirm to you if a tune has been loaded, that in itself could speak volumes.

Good luck and check back in with more info;)

I have an 09 which is basically same as an 11 and last summer averaged 35 mpg (US). I have a stage one and bike has been set up on Dino. I find if I get best mileage at about 60 mph in 5th gear. If I put it in 6th I need to run at over 70 mph and sucks the gas.

Hi Jerry -WELCOME Since I never owned a 11 Tri but have own 16 & now a 20. My gas mileage for both trikes is 30-32 mi/gal city and 34-36 mi/gal highway. Since you bought this bike used, I would wonder if they added a cam, which would decrease your mileage (any other mods or tunes), especially if it wasn't tuned correctly. May want to get some more info on the bike so know what your working with from dealer or previous owner.

Welcome Jerry to TT

I have the same MPG on my 2014 as nucseal and a mile or two better on the highway. I DO NOT ride conservatively - not by a long shot - I give my guardian angel a real workout.

I have not done any mods except for a set of Cobra slipons, that's it.

I am very happy with the mileage I get with my TG.

Good luck with your TG.

I have an 09 which is basically same as an 11 and last summer averaged 35 mpg (US). I have a stage one and bike has been set up on Dino. I find if I get best mileage at about 60 mph in 5th gear. If I put it in 6th I need to run at over 70 mph and sucks the gas.
Assuming you still have the 32 tooth pulley on the transmission if you ever have the left side off for service consider going with a 30 or 31. I switched my 09 to a 30 and went to a bit taller tire 70 series. This gave me good bottom end and took the screaming out of 70 mph. Travel safe Fred

Jerry... just confirming that your TriGlide is 2011 and not 2021? I only ask because you mentioned that you have a warranty. Either way, I think I'd have it tuned. If it's an '11 a prior owner may have done a mod and tuned it for a specific mod. If it's a '21 then there's still a chance that it wasn't tuned properly. I tracked mileage through several consecutive tanks of fuel and averaged about 38.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I was disappointed in the MPG of my GL1800/California Sidecar. It had the "old" clunky, heavy drive shaft system. I could never get to 30 MPG. I had the drive shaft updated. Riding exactly the same and tracking for over 3,000 miles I am getting just a titch over 34 MPG...... Jim

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png