Weather riding

Feb 2, 2011
Hinckley, Oh
Do you have temperature limits for riding your trike? Husband uses 40 degrees, as his limit now. I am new to riding the trike, and want no "cold" distractions while riding this spring. But this fall and next spring, with experience, I will be more willing. Do you ride in the cold?

I'm afraid I'm a "fair weather" rider. I like it 60 or above. I might think twice about below 60 depending on the reason & destination, but wouldn't consider anything below 50 - BTDT, and it wasn't fun!! I'm of the mind that, if I have to "bundle up" to go for a ride, then I'm not going to enjoy it, so why bother? :Shrug:

BUT!!!! With that being said, I also don't have a GoldWing or Harley with heated seats, grips, etc - that might make a difference for me. I'll let you know as soon as I win the lottery and buy one for myself! ;)

My fellow co workers think I'm crazy but I have been riding as much as I can rain, sun and even left tracks in a light snow one day! Sure I would like sun the best but I just love to ride my trike!! Just had easy steer installed and front end re- built, man it is like power steering on my poor shoulders I LOVE IT!!!! If it is real cold I plug in my hands and feet and they are warm as toast!!! Try it you will love it !!!

I have gebings heated jacket liner union ridge outer pants and their heated gloves.
Have rode on a sunny day at 18 degrees and stayed pleanty warm.
Arai flip shield helmit with ski mask to keep my face warm insulated boots and heavy socks to keep my feet warm.
Makes for a nice ride.
:wave4::wave4::wave4::wave4:

I do not enjoy any kind of adverse weather. If I get caught in the rain or the cold or what ever I re-dress and I ride in it! But, I never start out riding in bad weather. I always have the proper clothing with me but I rarely ever need it! I leave all the bad weather riding for the rest of you brave souls.

I ride in any temp. I never rode w/ice or snow on the roads when a 2 wheeler for obvious reasons.
I do not understand the "concern" about cold temps and riding. Those that ride snowmobiles dress for the temps, so can bikers/trikers!
I have an insulated riding suit, full face helmet and winter gauntlet gloves. I've done several Patriot Guard missions during the winter w/no discomfort from the cold.

I rode to work on BABY at 36 deg (only a mile maybe 2 ) it was cold. At 44 deg. I rode 26 miles again on BABY about all I could stand, no windshield . With the trike, Honey and I rode home from Pittsfield 60 miles in October at 40deg. We were cold .but we were together and that was good.

I too have a Gerbings heated suit - Cascade Extreme jacket and pants, along with warm-n-safe socks and gloves. I have ridden on the interstate (75 mph on cruise control) when it was 32 degrees. No problem. I think I would think again if it was raining and 35....

It was looking good around here until last week when the big storm hit.
We will not be riding around until all the snow and ice leaves.
I also wait for a few rains to wash away the sand and salt from our roads.
Hopefully by the first part of April:Excited:

Another fair weather rider here! Like Boscoporp, I won't start out in bad weather, but always try to be prepared for it if it should come up while I'm out.

Now the Chief--I believe he'd ride in a hurricane if he could. But he's nuts.:Joker3:

I ride in any temp. I never rode w/ice or snow on the roads when a 2 wheeler for obvious reasons.
I do not understand the "concern" about cold temps and riding. Those that ride snowmobiles dress for the temps, so can bikers/trikers!
I have an insulated riding suit, full face helmet and winter gauntlet gloves. I've done several Patriot Guard missions during the winter w/no discomfort from the cold.

Purty much says it all, just dress for it.

Another fair weather rider here! Like Boscoporp, I won't start out in bad weather, but always try to be prepared for it if it should come up while I'm out.

Now the Chief--I believe he'd ride in a hurricane if he could. But he's nuts.:Joker3:

We've ridden in thunderstorms, hailstorms, tropical depressions (hurricanes), and cold - not always by choice. Fortunately, we've managed to endure all because ScalpHunter seems to have a sixth sense in keeping us safe. We keep rainsuits with us, our helmets, boots and gloves always on, and take no unnecessary chances. He's a smart rider and I trust his judgment. :yes:

No limits for temperature. Neither low nor high. We do a lot of long distance touring on our trike. If you have the proper equipment it is not an issue. We have ridden in snow, but there was no ice on the roads. I think ice would be my only limiting factor. Have ridden in hail but wouldn't choose to do so again!!!

I don't think it's so much concern as just choice. As in, I'm not worried about riding in cold temps, I just don't enjoy it as much as riding when it's not cold.

I'd be very happy if cold temps didn't bother me as much as they do, but it is what it is. OTOH, I'm no wussy-girl--I will bundle up and ride in the cold if the sun is shining--that's fun!

On 2-wheels I have ridden in ALL weather conditions. Now that I am on 3-wheels (most of time), I have continued that trend. Usually long distance cold rides. I did have 1 hr. at -3'F this winter. My goggles kept frosting inside. Finally left my bandana off my face. Got a good freeze burn that took 2 weeks to clear up.
Also did 1400 miles in upstate NY and NJ a couple of weeks ago, including 150 miles of snow covered road.
Left my house this morning at 27'F for a 350 mile ride. Never got above 40's (near end).
That all said, my wife has a 50'F rule. I can't prove it, but I think it has gone up 1'F every year we have been together. She should have known what to expect. It was 26'F with snow on the road when I met her at a bar 15 years ago on an old Harley.

On 2-wheels I have ridden in ALL weather conditions. Now that I am on 3-wheels (most of time), I have continued that trend. Usually long distance cold rides. I did have 1 hr. at -3'F this winter. My goggles kept frosting inside. Finally left my bandana off my face. Got a good freeze burn that took 2 weeks to clear up.
Also did 1400 miles in upstate NY and NJ a couple of weeks ago, including 150 miles of snow covered road.
Left my house this morning at 27'F for a 350 mile ride. Never got above 40's (near end).
That all said, my wife has a 50'F rule. I can't prove it, but I think it has gone up 1'F every year we have been together. She should have known what to expect. It was 26'F with snow on the road when I met her at a bar 15 years ago on an old Harley.

B'bozo, you crazy.

my trike is my only form of transportation. thats bye choice bye the way. i ride it just about everyday. invest in some warm weather gear and some rain gear and ride. have fun be safe...myth

In my younger days usta ride in 30 degrees and did'nt bother me much, but now if its sunny I'll ride in the 50s if someone wants to ride, but I will start serious riding in the 60s. The Warden tells me not to even ask her unless its sunny and at least 72%

We have the opposite where we live in Arizona. July and AUgust we can see 120-130 F. WHen that happens, we do "Moonlight Rides" :). But aside from those 2 months, we can ride year round. Winters it dips to high 40`s to low 60`s :D

We have the opposite where we live in Arizona. July and AUgust we can see 120-130 F. WHen that happens, we do "Moonlight Rides" :). But aside from those 2 months, we can ride year round. Winters it dips to high 40`s to low 60`s :D

Yeah, I know about those summer days in Arizona - ScalpHunter took us across to California last August. OMG - and I thought Central Texas was hot in the summer!!! Maybe B'bozo's not the only one who's crazy . . . !

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png