Gear It Down

Apr 12, 2018
bay city,mi usa
I would like to lower the the drive ratio so I don't have to slip the clutch so much when I take off. I have 2010 Harley road king with a Road Smith conversion. I would like to go down about two teeth some where, trans pulley or motor compensators sprocket What is the best way?

larry things to consider is what other costs besides the sprocket. if you change the compensator sprocket do you need to change the chain besides. if you change the trans sprocket will the belt or chain allow to adjust out the slack. i did the trans on my 07 road king/champion and was pleased. the belt took up the slack. good luck

I wanted to change the trans pulley to a smaller one(two teeth smaller) but was told by the installer there wasn't enough adjustment to tighten up the belt. That why thought of changing the compensator sprocket.

what is your current sprocket tooth count both front and rear. mine was 32 front 79 rear switched to 30 front same rear

again it was a 2007 RK with a Champion straight axle conversion. belt did tighten up.

Just a thought what size tires are you running on the Back I switched from 205X65Rx15 TO 205X70RX15 to lower rpms in gearing. You may want to go the other way. From a higher tire to a lower one 60series to 50 series for example just sayin trying to help... if it didn't affect ground clearance. Fred

Gear it Down

I want to go to go down to a 30 tooth from a 32. I have a call into Road Smith about if there is adjustment to tighten the drive belt. If not looks like the compensator sprocket is the way I'am going.

After talking to Road Smith, looks like the compensator sprocket is the way I am going. Not enough adjustment to go to a smaller sprocket . Also looking into smaller rear tires as suggested.

After talking to Road Smith, looks like the compensator sprocket is the way I am going. Not enough adjustment to go to a smaller sprocket . Also looking into smaller rear tires as suggested.
now I can't speak about Road Smith but I went from a 32 to a 30 on my 09' Triglide without swapping drive belts. Good luck Fred

Belt change

With a shorter (less teeth) belt you can probably change the front sprocket without any trouble at all and get your adjustment you need. There's a wide range of tooth count belts for Harleys out there, and if Harley doesn't make one, there's probably one for the Buell side of things that would meet your needs. Hell, even some years and models of Victory had belts of the same pitch that will work on a Harley just fine. Just a thought, but looking at the date, you've probably handled it your way, by now.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png