KLR Sidecar Rig Is Sagging

Apr 3, 2021
Bourbonnais
I’m mounting a light weight utility/cargo sidecar to my 2013 KLR. This is my third rig, but the first time I have tried to fabricate a mounting system for a car. So, please don’t laugh too hard at what I’ve already done or tell me how stupid I am. I just need your help and I’m sure there are plenty of you out there who can help me.

I bought this rig already “set up”, but the PO knew nothing about sidecars. He made the sidecar and did a pretty good job, in my opinion. But he mounted it with two solid pieces of square tubing bolted directly to the KLR frame. I have since undone that, cut off the two pieces of tubing and installed a KLR sub frame I bought from Claude Stanley at Freedom Sidecars in Pennsylvania.

I welded and bolted 4 eye bolt mounts to the car frame, as you can see in the pictures and installed the two upper and two lower struts from these eye bolt mounts to the bike sub frame eye bolt mounts. I have adjusted and retightened all bolts and mounts at least 4 times. I’ve put a long cheater handle over my ratchet handle to tighten everything almost to the point of stripping the bolts or nuts.

But, after adjusting everything and doing a test ride something is slipping and the bike wants to lean into the car. What am I doing wrong or not doing? I will be glad to post or send you more pictures if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_6877.jpg
    IMG_6877.jpg
    936.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6878.jpg
    IMG_6878.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6879.jpg
    IMG_6879.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6880.jpg
    IMG_6880.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 107
When you cut the tubing that the builder had going directly to the frame of the cycle, you created a problem that can only be remedied by putting it back the way it was. There are ways to make things work by going backwards but going back to what you had or something similar would be best. You should be able to loosen all the bolts at the strut pivots and not have the frame collapse. The tension of those bolts won't do it. Claude's a great guy and can probably straighten that out for ya. The way you have that setup just may hurt ya.:xzqxz:

Looks like a weak mount to start with. You need to mark everything then get on a see where it moves. Agree with post above those bolts will not hold in that direction the need to be turned 90 degrees.

the lower mounts re the wrong type..even if you turn the mount so the pivot / bolt is heading the other way... still wrong .. examples of a better way to go... the moto guzzi is a no no

Attachments

• frm off1.JPG
    frm off1.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 107
  • P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    588.1 KB · Views: 121
  • CIMG0429.JPG
    CIMG0429.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 177
  • mogoVelo2012001.jpg
    mogoVelo2012001.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 106
KLR dilemma....

Hi, I saw your question regarding your idea of attaching a chair to a KLR. I had an older model KLR that I thought seriously about doing something similar myself. I have done a fair bit with sidecars before, but I found this bike meant it all became a trifle too 'stringy' in the fittings. The bike sat too high was the first obstacle that reared its head, then, the frame itself does not really lend itself to clamps etc etc...... how are you getting on with yours...???? I would be interested in seeing how you do it.....!!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png