Over tightened rear lug nuts

dthorn

40+ Posts
Aug 26, 2020
thornell
Hi all

I was checking the torque on the rear lug nuts. I thought I had set it at 100lbs. As i was putting the torgue wrench in its case I noticed I had set it to 110lbs. I went back and loosened the nuts and set them to 98lbs. I know that 10lbs is not that much, but they are made from aluminum. Do you think that I could have damaged them ie: stretched or cracked them.

I have read stories where wheels have come off/almost come off while riding. One guy found two lug nuts loose. Both had be cracked by over tightening. I know I sound a little paranoid, bot having a wheel fall off while going down the rode would defiantly run your day

Thanks

David

I would have no problem at 110. Aluminum wheels tend to get a little loose, our local dodge dealer recommended that for our Nitro wheels that should not be an issues. Fred

Hi all

I was checking the torque on the rear lug nuts. I thought I had set it at 100lbs. As i was putting the torgue wrench in its case I noticed I had set it to 110lbs. I went back and loosened the nuts and set them to 98lbs. I know that 10lbs is not that much, but they are made from aluminum. Do you think that I could have damaged them ie: stretched or cracked them.

Hopefully your set the torque wrench at its lowest setting before you put it away. Leaving it set on an upper end torque will make the torque calibration off.

The only times i broke wheel studs was at the Drag stop changing tires in a hurry....

And that was on my 68 Charger.....Back then Chrysler thought it a safety thing to make the right side wheels left hand nuts.....So they were Righty-Loosy....Lefty Tighty.....

:gah:.....

Hi Koolbreeze

I always loosen all my torque wrenches back to lowest setting before putting them away

I've got a split beam torque wrench. You never have to back off the setting when you put it away. And it clicks when it's torqued. So I don't have to stand on my head to read it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png