Roadside assistance

Nov 25, 2010
La Grange, KY
If this has been asked/discussed before, I apologize for not being able to find it.

I'm very interested in a roadside assistance plan, particularly the one provided by Honda for $120 for 5 years (unlimited distance to dealership). :yes:

1. where does one buy it online? Website?

2. for those of us who are deaf, using a telephone/cellphone for anything other than text messaging is useless. So, if I'm stranded somewhere I need to be able to contact the service by texting. Does the Honda plan allow that?

3. what plans do have texting?

Forget AMA - even though I am a member I have never received a response from them when asking this question. :mad: I am now an ex-member.

GWRRA says they will answer a text but sounded a little indefinite about it.

I look forward to your advice!

Konrad: Recently I had drive shaft problems while on I-10 near Palm Springs, CA & called the GWRRA nbr. Yes we politely screamed at each other to compensate for the roar of the f'way till I was hoarse. Sorry, no texting available! Everyone was very nice etc, but sure would have helped if they had texting!! And the AA, well they don't either.

Well this brings up an interesting point - since we have TT and TOI members all over the place, what about some kind of membership list with phone, fax, text, email contact info that we could each print before we go on a long trip? Sort it by state. That way, If I know I am going to be in, say, Texas, I can print it before I go (since I don't have mobile internet) -and I will have a list with me of all you Texans that I can call on for help if I need it - or a meet & greet if I don't ---? Just a thought! I would be happy to be a southern Az contact. It also occurs to me that we should include on the list what we can offer - I don't currently have a trailer that could handle a trike, for example, but could easily wrangle one if need be if someone were stranded near me. I CAN offer meals, showers, a comfy sofa bed, and a garage with lots of tools!

Maria, I'm pretty sure that Bazooka, trikeleader and Nana are working on our own "Blue List" (for lack of a better name) and hope to have it completed by the time of the rally for those who attend. I would think that it could be either emailed to or downloaded by members at some point. We'll ask admins to keep us posted!! Thanks!

Konrad: Recently I had drive shaft problems while on I-10 near Palm Springs, CA & called the GWRRA nbr. Yes we politely screamed at each other to compensate for the roar of the f'way till I was hoarse. Sorry, no texting available! Everyone was very nice etc, but sure would have helped if they had texting!! And the AA, well they don't either.

It would only cost them a text-only monthly cell phone bill and these people could pick up a lot of business from the deaf community. They may feel that because we can't hear therefore we can't think.

The Americans With Disabilities Act is kinda screwed up - they have braille on drive-up ATMs but very few businesses can receive texts from the deaf. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I belong to GWRRA and they include a roadside assistance plan with their $50.00 membership. It covers all your vehicles for $50.00 a year! I have used it and it worked well. I was out in the middle of nowher and I had a dead battery and they came in 30 minutes and started me up NO COST!

I belong to GWRRA and they include a roadside assistance plan with their $50.00 membership. It covers all your vehicles for $50.00 a year! I have used it and it worked well. I was out in the middle of nowher and I had a dead battery and they came in 30 minutes and started me up NO COST!

I have no doubt it works well - if you can HEAR! But if you are deaf and can only send texts, it's worthless.

the spot, satellite device, you choose how much assistance you need and pay for, push a button, everything is pre programed and works anywhere, i mean anywhere and you can change how you want picked up.

tell you need a trailer, a tow, a helicopter what ever.

people can follow you on google

you can send an "ok" msg

call 911,
or

send the marines.

Triple A has a new plan, if you already belong to AAA,you can add the motorcycle or trike.

Once again: The problem is not with the plan! the problem is with the companies refusing to have a cell phone contact to receive text messages from deaf members requiring roadside assistance.

We belong to a group called U.S. Rider, this group covers you when you pull a trailer loaded with livestock so it is good for us with horses. It also covers us in our motorhome or on the motorcycle at no extra charges. $119 a year.

If you was on the road towing your trike it would cover breakdowns of the tow vehical or trailer. Also when we are ridding with someone else the plan covers whatever vehical we happen to be ridding in.

People are sooooooooooooo dense.
People read and still do not understand..................DEAF is DEAF ..........CAN'T HEAR!!!
That is why Konrad is looking for a plan WITH texting!!!
Hope all is well Konrad and you do find a a service with texting.

konrad I known what you are going throught I been thier 5 months ago I had a hearing inplant put in works pretty goog had to make some changes on my helmet but I can hear good luck on finding text road side help

konrad I feel your pain, I am not deaf but my wife is. Her tty broke awhile back and we needed to have some changes made to her retirement plan so I called and explained I was her husband and she was deaf so could they please give me a number to fax a power of attorney to so I can speak on her behalf. They said they would have to ask her questions first so if I could just give the phone to her and they would talk with her. If you find a answer to your delima please share with the rest of us. I have been looking for her the same thing.

Texas has this service Relay Texas - don't know about other states. My niece worked for them at one time and said they get all kinds of calls. When their service is called they call the terminating number and act as a go between for the call. From their website it looks like they also do internet and IM connection. Google for your state and see what you can find.

FOLLOW-UP!
GWRRA has a mobile number for the roadside help service they provide that DEAF riders can text to for help! Here it is: (226) 268-4430. I've tested it and it works. The people are very polite.

Konrad, if you find one that does use texting, please let us know. I also have a hearing problem and have faced the same problem several times. I have ended up texting my wife and she would do the talking for me.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png