First 100 mile ride on DCT, thoughts and comments

paid4c4

300+ Posts
Mar 28, 2016
Crestview Hills, KY, USA
While I've had my trike for a month I haven't been able to ride it much due to weather or service. Finally yesterday the stars aligned and I was able to have a 120 mile ride. My trike is a 2018 and turned 3000 miles while on my ride. In the tour mode I found the trike to be very similar to my 2012 GW/CSC as far as torque and getting up to speed.

I found the Sport mode should be renamed "Hang On!." The sport mode is noticeably faster/torquier you just need to be prepared. Tour mode will be my default mode. The ride and handling was great and very similar to my 2012. If I were having this trike built I would change the rear shock spring to the next size over OEM and I would not have ordered the comfort roll bar option.

The comfort ARB may make a better ride for the passenger but it allows to much over all roll/lean in curves and turns IMHO. Depending on the labor involved I may have the ARB changed back to CSC Regular roll bar. The DCT operated great even surprising me with how intuitive it is at knowing when to shift. It is also very smooth both up and down shifting.

My trike does not have the CSC shift module and I only had on problem, one time on a fairly rapid take off from stopped that I felt any shutter in the DCT. I manually forced it to shift to the next higher gear and the problem was solved. If this is the only problem I'll leave the install of the module until the winter or never.

Bill

Bill, I bought a 2019 DCT in December but didn't ride it until March 2. So far I have ridden it 2150 miles. First of all I had vinyl installed on the ground effects and the fenders. I pitched that flimsy windshield and put an F4 plus 4. I added the ungraded handrails for my partner since she couldn't hold on the the stock ones. I took the antenna from an old Sirius radio and plugged it into the connection and talked Sirius into three months free service. I then installed set backs (Helibars) to improve driver ability.

I added a luggage rack on the back and adjusted the suspension on my CSC Trike kit. I too love how the DCT shifts and I love the double wishbone front suspension system in the front end. It handles like a dream and runs like a scalded dog!. I use ECON mode when I'm on the highway. I'm getting 38-40 MPG which is an improvement over my 2012.

I'm sure my first oil change will be a challenge, with 3 drain plugs and this tranny filter, but I guess I'll get through it. My only complaint is I can not find a headset to use Carplay where I won't be required to wear a helmet. My SENA that I paid dearly for is virtually unusable. I am deeply disappointed about that, because it is one of the reasons I upgraded to a Gen 3. I have discussed this with Sierra Electronics and plan to visit when warm weather get here to stay.

So far I'm glad I made the move. Enjoy your bike Bill. I sure plan to enjoy mine like the 9 other Goldwings I have owned.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png