Suspended Animation...???

Jan 3, 2021
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is a question I have been thinking about for a while now. My sidecar chassis itself is nearing more or less 90% completion of renovation, I am judging it to be somewhere about a 1958 vintage, a Canterbury make (U.K.). I have two leaf springs jutting out from the centre backwards, these are to supply some form of, width wide, springiness to the chair itself, there is no wheel suspension as it is a fixed axle....!! On the front leading edge of the chassis there are two modest little lugs that originally held two plates with coil springs mounted on them to supply a little bounce to the chair body when loaded a tad.....!!!

Canterbury have long gone the way of all things, so, my questions are, has anybody any idea of what load springs I should aim for ? are there any already available ? is there an equation that I can use to work the load out, there are only two, so maybe a one off job making them may be in order, anybody have an idea..??????

:Shrug::confused::xzqxz:

Hi,

This is a question I have been thinking about for a while now. My sidecar chassis itself is nearing more or less 90% completion of renovation, I am judging it to be somewhere about a 1958 vintage, a Canterbury make (U.K.). I have two leaf springs jutting out from the centre backwards, these are to supply some form of, width wide, springiness to the chair itself, there is no wheel suspension as it is a fixed axle....!! On the front leading edge of the chassis there are two modest little lugs that originally held two plates with coil springs mounted on them to supply a little bounce to the chair body when loaded a tad.....!!!

Canterbury have long gone the way of all things, so, my questions are, has anybody any idea of what load springs I should aim for ? are there any already available ? is there an equation that I can use to work the load out, there are only two, so maybe a one off job making them may be in order, anybody have an idea..??????

:Shrug::confused::xzqxz:

some photos might help

It is not a lot to be honest.

I have the Canterbury chassis from about 1959 with two brackets on the front end, assuming that these brackets had some form of sidecar body support, i.e. springs, torsion rubbers, or even a basic mechanical device to raise the chair from the chassis for comfort, is a guess on my part. I intend to offer something in the way of sprung suspension to minimise shock to the passenger, and to the wellbeing of the chassis/bike.

Back in the day, these ideas all stemmed from the brain of a designer without any experience, just intuition, the designer must have been in awe of different innovative ideas from various other companies, and included them, and indeed improved on them maybe..... I love that era of trial and era, hence my project, and asking for ideas like this one to better enhance my take on a 1930's chair. It is a terrific learning curve that I happily sink into, always thinking ahead, probably like the original guys did....!!!!

I lay in bed thinking "What if I did this, would such and such happen, if so, what if I did this instead, and how would it affect this...??? " I love all that, plus, things are slowly getting together as a result.....!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png