Likes Likes:  3
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: HHI triple tree fitment issue on my '07 Harley Road Glide

10+ Posts
    User ID

Default HHI triple tree fitment issue on my '07 Harley Road Glide

I ordered a 9 deg triple tree from HHI and installed it on my wife’s 2007 Road Glide Champion Kit. The forks hit the inside bottom of the fairing and can’t turn the steering far enough to let the steering lock engage . Anyone have this issue ?

Senior Moderator
    Gold Club Member
    TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Pat and Kathy View Post
    Ordered a 9deg triple tree from HHI and installed it on my wife’s 2007 Road Glide Champion Kit. The forks hit the inside bottom of the fairing and can’t turn the steering far enough to let the steering lock engage . Anyone have this issue ?
    9 degrees is just to much rake for a fixed fairing Road Glide. 6 degrees I have on mine just touches the fairing and allows the forks to lock. Anymore you will have to modify your fairing to allow the forks to turn more. Then I think you would still have an issue with the lock but not sure.
    Stallion #406 // 2013 Tri-Glide

10+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    9 degrees is just to much rake for a fixed fairing Road Glide. 6 degrees I have on mine just touches the fairing and allows the forks to lock. Anymore you will have to modify your fairing to allow the forks to turn more. Then I think you would still have an issue with the lock but not sure.
    Nice of HHI to let you know that.. so five degrees over the stock Four is too much ? = nine degrees.

Cut N Shoot Customs
    Conroe Texas
    Ph: (346) 800-7947
    TrikeTalk Founder
    TrikeTalk Administrator
    User ID
    FT Author
    2 Threads

The 9 degree rake is actually a +5 degree. That is what has been used for years on the FL and FLT models. Give a call to HHI a call and ask for Mark Thompson, he's the owner and lead engineer. Mark and Thomas are familiar with your issue since you ordered it directly from them, and can answer any questions you may have.

10+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Zook View Post
    The 9 degree rake is actually a +5 degree. That is what has been used for years on the FL and FLT models. Give a call to HHI a call and ask for Mark Thompson, he's the owner and lead engineer. Mark and Thomas are familiar with your issue since you ordered it directly from them, and can answer any questions you may have.
    Have you installed a HHI 9Deg Kit on a FLT fairinged bike ? Much modification required to mounts and ignition lock to make it work. I got it working but there was a fair amount of mods to do. Of course the steering and stability is wonderful now, but I wish HHI would put a disclaimer on the kit explains that if you don’t modify certain things the forks will hit the fairing and the steering lock will not work.

Cut N Shoot Customs
    Conroe Texas
    Ph: (346) 800-7947
    TrikeTalk Founder
    TrikeTalk Administrator
    User ID
    FT Author
    2 Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Pat and Kathy View Post
    Have you installed a HHI 9Deg Kit on a FLT fairinged bike ? Much modification required to mounts and ignition lock to make it work. I got it working but there was a fair amount of mods to do. Of course the steering and stability is wonderful now, but I wish HHI would put a disclaimer on the kit explains that if you don’t modify certain things the forks will hit the fairing and the steering lock will not work.
    I have never had any fitment issues with the Road Glides I have done, but all were 2013 and up bikes which uses the newer style two piece stem / 49mm tube design rather than the one piece stem / 41mm tube design trees and the Road Glide fairing itself is also different. I just called HHI to run this by them and Thomas said they were aware of this issue on the 2013 and down Road Glides and that he and Mark have been talking with you. Did they not explain the bolt cap mod some have used as a fix for the 2013 and down clearance issues when you placed the order with them, or afterward?

I have never tried this so I cannot say if it is the best fix, but Thomas said that some installers are placing a bolt cap cover over each of the two pre-installed allen-head folk stop bolts to slightly increase the bolt's head diameter. This will decrease the lock to lock turn radius slightly thus preventing the rub, so it would be up to the installer to determine if this is an acceptable mod, vs the mods you made that actually increases the clearance inside the fairing, which sounds like the better, but more labor intensive fix to me.

Senior Moderator
    Gold Club Member
    TrikeTalk Moderator
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    Just to clarify in my previous post above, I was WRONG, my trees are 9 degrees. The biggest change I made was removing the damper. The damper is what was hitting the fairing on my setup. I did have to some what mod the Tach/Speedo housing to fit the new trees. But the end product works just fine.
    Stallion #406 // 2013 Tri-Glide

10+ Posts
    User ID

Default Fitment issue

What I did was have some spacers made to move the engine guard further forward because the fairing mounts to it. About a half inch. Also I disassembled the ignition switch and removed the (bullet) that drops into the fork lock hole and drilled and tapped a hex head 3/8 round bolt to be screwed into the bottom to extend the locking pin. All works now.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Zook View Post
    I have never had any fitment issues with the Road Glides I have done, but all were 2013 and up bikes which uses the newer style two piece stem / 49mm tube design rather than the one piece stem / 41mm tube design trees and the Road Glide fairing itself is also different. I just called HHI to run this by them and Thomas said they were aware of this issue on the 2013 and down Road Glides and that he and Mark have been talking with you. Did they not explain the bolt cap mod some have used as a fix for the 2013 and down clearance issues when you placed the order with them, or afterward?

I have never tried this so I cannot say if it is the best fix, but Thomas said that some installers are placing a bolt cap cover over each of the two pre-installed allen-head folk stop bolts to slightly increase the bolt's head diameter. This will decrease the lock to lock turn radius slightly thus preventing the rub, so it would be up to the installer to determine if this is an acceptable mod, vs the mods you made that actually increases the clearance inside the fairing, which sounds like the better, but more labor intensive fix to me.