Vacuum Operated Air Clutch Help

May 22, 2021
Wake Forest
Wilmac body on VW trike, Springer front end. Not sure who built it. Both brake levers operate single master cylinder. Shifter sticks out hole in left side. Has a wire running up shifter handle, no sign of switch. Clutch arm attached to what looks like an air brake actuator, plumbed to air tank and electric valve and carb and manifold vacuum. What do I have here?

You have an automatic stick shift. The clutch should disengage as soon as you touch the shifter. Take your hand off after the shift and it reengages.

Thanks @SideCarBill! I didn't get many pictures, but was the vacuum tank also part of the semi-automatic or was it possibly added later? I tried to add a photo--we'll see if I succeeded.

Attachments

• Trike Vacuum Clutch.jpeg
    Trike Vacuum Clutch.jpeg
    904.1 KB · Views: 123
Well that one worked.

Did a vacuum tank come with that set up or is the one I have custom? Will try to attach picture to next reply, thinking maybe attachment is killing my replies.

Vw called it an "Autostick"

The 3 speed box is a manual shift like any other vw.

There was never a full auto in a beetle.....this Autostick is as close as the beetle ever got.

Functionally it had NO clutch pedal.

The vacuum servo workes a small clutch for you. The vac servo is actuated by a switch on the stick shift lever. The switch is sensitive, just the weight of your hand on the stick will activate the clutch.

It will idle in gear at a stop light because it has a torque converter much like a full auto would.

So you would put foot on brake.

Put hand on shifter.

Select first gear.

Remove hand.

Let off brake.

Apply throttle

Drive off in 1st gear like and automatic.

Get done with first.

Put hand on shifter.

Select next gear.

Remove hand.

Apply throttle.

Get done with 2nd

Put hand on shifter.

Select 3rd gear.

Remove hand from shifter.

Continue in down the road.

Come to a stop light.

Stop and wait until time to go like an automatic.

Press the throttle.

Forgot that you left it in third gear.

Put foot on brake.

Put hand on shifter.

Select first gear

And take off again and repeat.

How it works

The torque converter runs on auto trans fluid. It has its own tank and oil lines. The pressure pump for the hydraulics is piggy backed into to engine oil pump. It is a specialized pump on for the Autostick....and rare and hard to get

The clutch works on vacuum. Micro switch on shift lever turns on a solenoid valve. Which draws a diaphragm that is connected to the throw out lever. It also has its own vacuum reservoir tank and hoses.

2011-03-12_145502_bug_vacuum.jpg

I mostly don't shift. 2nd around town 3rd on any road above 50mph. Mines a gutless wonder and it doesn't make much difference what gear i pull away in.

Vw called it an "Autostick"

The 3 speed box is a manual shift like any other vw.

There was never a full auto in a beetle.....this Autostick is as close as the beetle ever got.

Functionally it had NO clutch pedal.

The vacuum servo workes a small clutch for you. The vac servo is actuated by a switch on the stick shift lever. The switch is sensitive, just the weight of your hand on the stick will activate the clutch.

It will idle in gear at a stop light because it has a torque converter much like a full auto would.

So you would put foot on brake.

Put hand on shifter.

Select first gear.

Remove hand.

Let off brake.

Apply throttle

Drive off in 1st gear like and automatic.

Get done with first.

Put hand on shifter.

Select next gear.

Remove hand.

Apply throttle.

Get done with 2nd

Put hand on shifter.

Select 3rd gear.

Continue in down the road.

Come to a stop light.

Stop and wait until time to go like an automatic.

Press the throttle.

Forgot that you left it in third gear.

Put foot on brake.

Put hand on shifter.

Select first gear

And take off again and repeat.

How it works

The torque converter runs on auto trans fluid. It has its own tank and oil lines. The pressure pump for the hydraulics is piggy backed into to engine oil pump. It is a specialized pump on for the Autostick....and rare and hard to get

The clutch works on vacuum. Micro switch on shift lever turns on a solenoid valve. Which draws a diaphragm that is connected to the throw out lever. It also has its own vacuum reservoir tank and hoses.

View attachment 99345

thanks i knew the function but never knew how it worked .... very interesting

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png