Looking for a auto transmission shifter

Nov 2, 2019
New Franklin
View attachment 99602Looking for a 20190929_174909.jpgaftermarket shifter. I moved the original one from the middle of the tank area to the side of the frame for safety and now it is really hard to shift. I am sure someone sells a aftermarket shifter to replace the stock shifter. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• trike0087.jpg
    trike0087.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 112
When you say auto transmission do you mean a full automatic trans (out of a type3 VW) or an Auto Stick trans (out of a type1 VW)? Not sure about the full auto shifter setup. The type1 autostick uses a setup very similar to the manual trans. Usually those shifters are rotated 90 degrees to the left, exiting horizontally under your left leg (ala Harley "Jockey Shifts"). Care must be taken to retain shift linkage geometry very close to the original "straight down the tunnel" geometry or hard shifting will occur.

There are aftermarket dune buggy shifter boxes like this available: https://www.ebay.com/itm/112830892129?hash=item1a453ec861:g:apQAAOSwf-1gjNRH

You will have to add some type of switch to actuate the clutch if you do, in fact, have an AutoStick.

The vw automatic does not have any detent "clicks" built inside the trans itself.

In other words.....the lever sticking out of the trans just flops back and forth.

Most other brands the lever clicks....click reverse...... click neutral.....click drive

So with the vw trans that floppy lever had to be moved exactly to the right position.

So the movement and all the detent clicks are in the shifter itself. The linkage alignment is tricky trial and error to get right.

I have never seen anyone make an aftermarket shifter for a vw automatic......ever. Maybe they exist....good luck there.

When you find a vw auto.....get the shifter and all it's parts......and the odd long side/ short side axles too.

automatic type 3 transmission

I have a type 3 transmission which was identified by(DeathbySnuSnu) In one of my very first posts. It is a full automatic transmission. It feels like the cable is in a bind or just in a bad position, hence wanting to change the shifter but if not possible I will revisit the mounting design.

I can not find where I identified it.

I do find where and what to look for so you could identify it.

If you want me to identify....please post pics of the trans. I would like to know I/we are giving the right advice.

automatic type 3 transmission

Sorry, I took The first post as a identification, my fault will get some good pics to show. Hoping maybe if I grease and maybe try to shave the shifter rub points just a little it will shift easier.

To try to be more clear.

You think it is a full auto.

I think the picture looks like it could possibly be a type 3 rear sub frame. Whick gives some validation to being a full auto.

Because the full auto was available in the type 3.....and never available in a type 1.

A type 3 full auto will be all aluminum and a type 4 auto will partially made of cast iron.

I can not see your trans in the picture. I do not know what it is......but so far the clues lead to type3 full auto.

Some pictures would help.

Vw type1 Autostick

4629780.jpg

Vw type 3 automatic

7883042.jpg

I worked on VW bugs back in the 80's for a custom shop here in California - the "automatic stickshift" is something we replaced with a manual whenever we ran into one- more trouble than they are worth. The VW type 1 transmission is full syncromesh, you can change gears without the clutch if you keep your speed in the zone.

Auto transmission

Okay I have a photo of the transmission in my trike. This is what it looks like.Sorry it took so long to respond to the reply’s I do appreciate your help. The shifter is really hard to shift into gear do to being shortened. You almost need to use 2 hands to shift out of park. It looks like the type 3 automatic transmission in the earlier post in this thread.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lanakent900
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png