96SE Trunk side lights

Triker Mike

TOI - Washington
Jun 1, 2009
Bridgeport,Wa.
While I was converting my trunk side lights to LED (will post pics later) I got one side done & then went to do the other side And all I could do was get the nuts to spin along with the bolts.I then took a drummel & cut the caps off of the nuts & then took the drummel Made a slot in the bolt for a screw driver But all it did was spin also. Does anyone have any suggestions?:pray:

I had the same problem on my 96 except it was the saddle bag light, way before I triked her.

I took a crow bar and broke the plastic reflector out as I was totally replacing the lense and lights, and did not feel like wasting riding time.

If you need to keep the red plastic lense, then try to drimmel off the nut, then once off the bike you can take the assemble apart and replace the stud bolts.

This is a great upgrade for safety.

I'm not familier with the Honda trunk lights but you said you cut the caps off of the nuts with a dremel tool and a slot in the stud, can't you hold the stud with the screwdrver and back off the nuts?

There is no way to get to the bolt heads . They are in the light fixture itself & the nuts are acorn nuts about a size 8mm if that helps you understand

8mm is correct. Try putting a pry pressure on the lens body and maybe that will hold the stud in place while you take the nut off. It's only a few turns. Maybe spray the deal down with wd-40 first, but because the stud is stripped you may still have to totally cut the nut off.<br />
<br />
Once the lens is off a quick trip to Lowe's to buy 2 8mm bolts and washer to replace the stud, with 2 nuts and you are back in business.<br />
<br />
Whoever had the bike before you most likely tightened them down too far, just barely snug them or the plastic will strip.

Well they came off today I cut the acorn part off .Then made a slot with the dremel. Soaked them all night with a rust breaker. Took a small screwdriver to the tip & the 8mm wrench .And they finally broke lose. But I am going to replace them:pepper::woohoo:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cantgetright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png