Motor Trike Problems - Tilted

Jul 13, 2017
Camanche Iowa US
Ok lets see if I can explain this. We bought a 2001 GL1800 trike about 4 years ago. We noticed that the right side fender started rubbing the tire. Over winter we had all the suspension replaced. Well it still rubs. Come to find out when the trike was built, the sub from is canted about 3/4 of an inch to the right. Right side is lower. So the fix im told is to tear it down and start over. Which I am look at 8-10k to fix. Is there an alternative to raising the right side body (via shock spacers) or some other other choice without tearing it all down and rebuilding?

Tia for any and all suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just need to be able to jack up the trike to access the ladder and hemi joints to adjust.it a tight fit.

Well that certainly sounds better than the shop I had it at. they were telling me the sub frame is bent and they would have to tear it down and start over. Like 10k for the whole job.

The heim joints on either side of the ladder bars very well might be binding and need to be lubricated with silicone spray to fee them up. That is what Motor Trike recommends. Be careful about pulling them apart to adjust them until you know how to do this. Also check to see if the heim joints coupler threads are damaged or are starting to strip or bend. If so they will need to be replaced along with the ladder bars. Richard can better advise you on this.

The heim joints on either side of the ladder bars very well might be binding and need to be lubricated with silicone spray to fee them up. That is what Motor Trike recommends. Be careful about pulling them apart to adjust them until you know how to do this. Also check to see if the heim joints coupler threads are damaged or are starting to strip or bend. If so they will need to be replaced along with the ladder bars. Richard can better advise you on this.

Thank you for all the replies. I contacted a MT installer near me (hour away) and I am going to drop it off to them tomorrow. I explained what is happening and he agrees that it is probably the heim joints and ladder bars.

Jim,

Please keep us all posted on how you made out getting your trike serviced ok?

Ronnie

I found a MT builder about an hour from me. Dropped the trike off Saturday so should hear something this week. He agreed with you folks on here that it is probably the ladder bar\heim joints after taking a quick look at it.

Go the trike back today from the builder. What Honda wanted 10k for the builder charged me 450.00 and the trike rides like a dream now. Thanks to everyone in here for all your input and direction.

Can you please advise what they did to fix the problem? I know you mentioned ladder bars. Did they replace them or need to repair them? Or something else.

Thank you

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png