Avon trike tire

brianl

300+ Posts
May 16, 2013
leominster, ma. USA
I just received an Avon front tire for my Goldwing trike. It says cobra chrome (63v), 130/70vr18, av91. They told me it is for a trike but my old one said “trike” right on the side and this one doesn’t. Did Avon change that? Is this tire for a trike?

I just received an Avon front tire for my Goldwing trike. It says cobra chrome (63v), 130/70vr18, av91. They told me it is for a trike but my old one said “trike” right on the side and this one doesn’t. Did Avon change that? Is this tire for a trike?

I thought the new version says "Cobra Chrome"

There are 2 AV91 Avon Cobra Chrome tires in that size. One definitely has trike on the side and one doesn't. The one you want for a trike is the one with TRIKE on the sidewall. It is a 130/70R18. The one you have, 130/70VR18 will probably work but it is not the one designed specifically for the trikes.

https://www.avontyres.com/en-us/tyres/cobra-chrome-trike?cartype=motorcycle

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210710-225433_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20210710-225433_Brave.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 75
It looks like mine isn’t the trike tire. I tried to contact Avon but can’t find a phone number. I emailed them but haven’t heard back yet. My current Avon trike tire has 12,000 miles on it and I don’t know how to tell if it’s worn out. It seems a little bumpy at low speeds more than normal. I plan on trailering it on vacation in a couple of weeks and I usually put on about 1,000 miles or so in the week that I’m there so I have safety concerns. Avon trike tires seem to be out of stock everywhere. My question is has anyone ever tried the Avon regular front tire on their trike? Other than probably getting less mileage out of the tire are there any safety concerns I need to consider? Will the tire slide while cornering or anything like that? All opinions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

From what I saw on the Avon site, the specs are pretty much the same. As far as will it work? I would say yes. The Avon AV91 trike tire is the only specifically designed trike tire on the market but many have successfully used other tires on their trikes, myself included, and have been just fine. I have seen where some gave had their bikes converted and continue to use the tire that was already on the front. I have used the Bridgestone Batlax BT45 which is a bias ply tire designed as a rear tire. And currently have a Michelin Pilot Activ which is also a bias ply designed as a rear tire. The Michelin is ready to be changed out and I have a Avon Cobra AV91 trike tire ready to get mounted but just haven't had the time to do so. What you will notice about trikes and their front tires is that over time, they will no longer have a rounded face and will start to get a flatter face. This is obviously because trikes don't lean so 100% of the wear will be on the center of the tread. It would be as if someone on 2 wheels was always driving straight forward and never turned. They can still put a lot of miles on those tires but are going to wear the center out before the edges. IIRC, the Avon Trike tires are designed to wear better on center tread to give a bit more mileage. But your 130/70VR18 has a load rating of 63 just as the trike one as well as a speed rating of V just like the trike tire. And both are radials. If it were me, I would get that tire mounted and use it up. You just might not get as many miles out of it. I'm sure before you wear it out though, you should be able to get your hands on the trike one for the replacement. JMHO...

Brian, I had a regular Avon tire on the front of my motorcycle when it was triked. I had no problems with it and got fairly good mileage out of it before I replaced it with an Avon Trike tire.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uneasy Rider
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png