Likes Likes:  2
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: shimmy shimmy shake shake

  1. #1
    5+ Posts
    User ID
    32428
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    COPPERAS COVE Tx US of A
    Posts
    6

    Default shimmy shimmy shake shake

    Ok got this 2010 Ultra with the Champion conversion. Rides nice but at higher speeds it has a little bit of a shimmy. Not dangerous but irritating. Where do I start to track this down?? Since I am portly kinda guy I have my tire pressures at the max I think 26 lbs. But other then tire pressure is the anything else I can check. Or should I try lowering my tire pressure......thanks for the help

  2. #2
    Senior Moderator
    Gold Club Member
    TrikeTalk Moderator
    Gorilla's Avatar
    User ID
    976
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Key Largo. Fl,. USA
    Posts
    14,177

    Default

    dave lower tire pressure to 23 lbs or so. tighten the neck bearing to 40 lbs think about a rake kit if it doesn't have one
    Stallion #406 // 2013 Tri-Glide

  3. #3
    5+ Posts
    User ID
    32428
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    COPPERAS COVE Tx US of A
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Sorry but you lost me at a Rack Kit.....what would that be???

  4. #4
    77000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    rhino 2's Avatar
    User ID
    6298
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mendham NJ USA
    Posts
    77,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelpony5555 View Post
    Ok got this 2010 Ultra with the Champion conversion. Rides nice but at higher speeds it has a little bit of a shimmy. Not dangerous but irritating. Where do I start to track this down?? Since I am portly kinda guy I have my tire pressures at the max I think 26 lbs. But other then tire pressure is the anything else I can check. Or should I try lowering my tire pressure......thanks for the help
    If you pick up speed when the shimmy comes on , And then it gos away at the higher speed..It could be an unbalanced front tire..?
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2019 Tri-Glide.......

  5. #5
    Senior Moderator
    Gold Club Member
    TrikeTalk Moderator
    Gorilla's Avatar
    User ID
    976
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Key Largo. Fl,. USA
    Posts
    14,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelpony5555 View Post
    Sorry but you lost me at a Rack Kit.....what would that be???
    Dave that is changing the triple trees to trees that extend the front axle out more. Not much but some that adds to the item called trail which makes the trike steer better once it has been converted from 2 to 3 wheels. Randy can explain better. at CUT-N-SHOOT CUSTOMS see ad below he is the owner of the site and can explain the trees to you and possibly sell you the trees at a very good price.
    Stallion #406 // 2013 Tri-Glide

  6. #6
    Just Killing Time...
    Gold Club Member
    paws's Avatar
    User ID
    6365
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kerrville, TX U.S.A
    Posts
    5,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    Dave that is changing the triple trees to trees that extend the front axle out more. Not much but some that adds to the item called trail which makes the trike steer better once it has been converted from 2 to 3 wheels. Randy can explain better. at CUT-N-SHOOT CUSTOMS see ad below he is the owner of the site and can explain the trees to you and possibly sell you the trees at a very good price.
    To further define…it is usually called a rake kit rather than rack kit.
    New course heading Mr. Sulu: ...2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...!!

    Scooter and Sassi....2 furrever.

  7. #7
    1250+ Posts cavie's Avatar
    User ID
    13988
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Port Charlotte fl/Hinsdale MA
    Posts
    1,368

    Default

    Front tire at 41 lbs?
    Ridin' three and free. Ain't never goin' back
    2003 1800 Gold Wing Trike w/Roadsmith kit. Northeast Region Trike Riders on F B.

  8. #8
    400+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    Sidecarbill's Avatar
    User ID
    18278
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sussex nj usa
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    A rake kit won't do anything for high speed problems. It's more for slow speed wobble and easier steering. I would check wheel balance on all three wheels. Also check for shifted belts in the rear tires. In other words make sure they spin true.

  9. #9
    2000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    tfdeputydawg's Avatar
    User ID
    2885
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, In.
    Posts
    2,202

    Default

    36psi in front, not 41. Much smoother ride!
    Christian Motorcyclist Association #64488
    Patriot Guard
    Volunteer Fire/Rescue/EMT/Captain
    Was a LEO
    Part time Corrections Officer

  10. #10
    Senior Moderator
    Gold Club Member
    TrikeTalk Moderator
    Gorilla's Avatar
    User ID
    976
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Key Largo. Fl,. USA
    Posts
    14,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paws View Post
    To further define…it is usually called a rake kit rather than rack kit.
    Thank you Carla my old eyes are not what they used to be. And my fingers even worse.
    Stallion #406 // 2013 Tri-Glide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Front Wheel Shimmy
    By Bugsplat49 in forum Honda Trikes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-23-2020, 11:09 AM
  2. Shimmy and Shake
    By gwtrike1 in forum Honda Trikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-11-2016, 07:25 PM
  3. Shake Baby Shake
    By 87Trike1200 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-18-2015, 08:41 AM
  4. shimmy question
    By grampadonut in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-21-2010, 08:02 AM
  5. Front wheel shimmy?
    By Big_Steve in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 11:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •