Likes Likes:  7
Thanks Thanks:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pow! Bang! when starting hot

150+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Oh yeah- thatís funny Rhino! Who upshifts at 2500?

All seriousness aside, I heard that the SE compensator is a little more stout than the one that came on my 103?

Comments?

I donít think Iím interested in an eliminator sprocket. Sheís built for comfort, not for speed.

2. Love Jugs
    13000+ Posts
    Tech Contributor
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Firewrench22 View Post
    Oh yeah- thatís funny Rhino! Who upshifts at 2500?

All seriousness aside, I heard that the SE compensator is a little more stout than the one that came on my 103?

Comments?

I donít think Iím interested in an eliminator sprocket. Sheís built for comfort, not for speed.
    Yup, The Screaming Eagle compensator has gone thru quite a few upgrades and has gotten better if that is the route you want to go

But have a look here also, this one is rebuildable

https://www.fuelmotousa.com/series-2...rsprocket.html
    Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride"(Sober 33years)
    Current ride : 2021 FREEWHEELER M8

150+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Ordered the Darkhorse Man O War sprocket. Iím intrigued.

My stealer didnít have any SE compensators, BO until first week in Aug. Same with Darkhorse from Fuel Moto, not available until at least Aug 2nd. I went straight to Darkhorse, they took my money, weíll see what happens.

Did a plug check on the pimary, lots of metal on the the Dimple magnetic drain plug. The few ounces of oil I drained has the dreaded metalflake look. She ainít going anywhere.

Question, should I replace the chain? You know, new sprocket, new chain. Then new clutch basket too?

I figure the existing chain(46000 mi) has reached itís happy place as far as stretch. Iíll have to babysit a new chain for a while. How long do the chains last? I guess this chain is full of that nasty oilÖI have a nice Rekluse clutch in there. I love that thing, especially in heavy traffic. Guess Iíll take it apart and clean it good.

I sent a note to the folks at Darkhorse asking if they prefer spring tensioner or manual adjust.

Contributing Member
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by Firewrench22 View Post
    Ordered the Darkhorse Man O War sprocket. Iím intrigued.

My stealer didnít have any SE compensators, BO until first week in Aug. Same with Darkhorse from Fuel Moto, not available until at least Aug 2nd. I went straight to Darkhorse, they took my money, weíll see what happens.

Did a plug check on the pimary, lots of metal on the the Dimple magnetic drain plug. The few ounces of oil I drained has the dreaded metalflake look. She ainít going anywhere.

Question, should I replace the chain? You know, new sprocket, new chain. Then new clutch basket too?

I figure the existing chain(46000 mi) has reached itís happy place as far as stretch. Iíll have to babysit a new chain for a while. How long do the chains last? I guess this chain is full of that nasty oilÖI have a nice Rekluse clutch in there. I love that thing, especially in heavy traffic. Guess Iíll take it apart and clean it good.

I sent a note to the folks at Darkhorse asking if they prefer spring tensioner or manual adjust.
    I would replace the clutch hub bearing If you can get one .

150+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Good idea, thanks. Iíll add it to my list.

7. DKCustoms postbit
    13000+ Posts
    Tech Contributor
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

I would change the chain for peace of mind
    Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride"(Sober 33years)
    Current ride : 2021 FREEWHEELER M8

300+ Posts
    User ID

I'm running the DH comp and when it was installed, shop also did the chain.

Right now I have a Baker adjuster but trying to decide if I should go Bach to the newest version of the automatic or maybe try the Motorway Vulcan manual.

Contributing Member
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by NHBAGGER View Post
    I'm running the DH comp and when it was installed, shop also did the chain.

Right now I have a Baker adjuster but trying to decide if I should go Bach to the newest version of the automatic or maybe try the Motorway Vulcan manual.
    I had the dark horse in mine it was great seam quiet smoother more torque , but when my motor went south , I talked with S&S they said you should run a compensator because the stock crankshafts SUCK , I went with a Baker compensator , a stock Harley primary chain adjuster , I put a 2016 clutch hub which is a lot more heavy duty than my 2020 was , I could not get a clutch hub bearing at that time for the 2020 and put in a new chain , At idle I hear a little noise, pull the clutch in and it stops , I think they all do that ?

300+ Posts
    User ID

Quote Originally Posted by ROAD DOG View Post
    I had the dark horse in mine it was great seam quiet smoother more torque , but when my motor went south , I talked with S&S they said you should run a compensator because the stock crankshafts SUCK , I went with a Baker compensator , a stock Harley primary chain adjuster , I put a 2016 clutch hub which is a lot more heavy duty than my 2020 was , I could not get a clutch hub bearing at that time for the 2020 and put in a new chain , At idle I hear a little noise, pull the clutch in and it stops , I think they all do that ?
    Had a Baker comp in mine originally. It galled a month or two after the warranty time. They said "sorry". Asked if they would like it mailed to them to take a look, they said no. Went with the DH compensatory.

12. Love Jugs
    150+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID

The Man O War comp showed up in just a couple days. I asked them what chain tensioner they recommend, they said use OE.

So new chain, tensioner, clutch hub bearing, oil deflector(2011didnít have) coming from H-D.

This is a thousand dollar repair. Ouch.

On the other hand, Iíve never had an out-of-service failure in 48000 miles of smiles.

Installed a mechanical reverse a couple years ago before the motor had a chance to crap out.

Iíll let yíall know how it feels after I get it running.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast