Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: VW automatic transmission shifter

User ID

Default VW automatic transmission shifter

I have a 94 Runabout and although it runs and drives good (finally) the shifter doesn't have any detents for the diffrent gears, is there a shifter that I could replace it with? or does anyone know of a fix for this. I am hoping someone will have a solution that isn't to dificult of expensive as I just spent over $3000 having all the wiring replaced as well as some other things to get it going.

User ID

If I remember correctly, the Type3 VW automatic had the detents in the shift lever mechanism not in the transmission. Check out thesamba.com for Type3 info and shifter availabilty. These parts are like hen's teeth so if you can get measurements off of a VW auto shifter assembly, you should be able to fabricate a shift lever assembly with the correct detent locations. Here's a post about cable adjustment: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...c.php?t=723171

User ID

Quote Originally Posted by vwbug72501 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the Type3 VW automatic had the detents in the shift lever mechanism not in the transmission. Check out thesamba.com for Type3 info and shifter availabilty. These parts are like hen's teeth so if you can get measurements off of a VW auto shifter assembly, you should be able to fabricate a shift lever assembly with the correct detent locations. Here's a post about cable adjustment: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...c.php?t=723171
    Thank you, I will check it out