How many miles can you get on a Harley drive belt?

Aug 31, 2015
Gloucester, VA
57776 miles.

My son's Street Glide Special ate it's drive belt. He was two blocks away from home and was able to limp it there revving 3000 RPM at about 4 MPH.

Drive-belt.JPG

Pix of belt change plus upgrades

I took my TK1 trailer over to his place and hauled it to my house so we could work on it.

Got it on the lift and started tearing things apart.

on_lift.JPG

inner.JPG

swingarm.jpg

Finally got wheel and swingarm off and new belt installed.

new_belt.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Putting the primary back together. While it was apart, we upgraded to a Barnett clutch with an added plate and disk. Put on a Baker compensator sprocket, a new chain and tensioner. Had to grind down a fin on the inner primary for clearance on the comp. sprocket (per Baker instructions).

primary fin.jpg

inner prep.jpg

New-primary.jpg

(YES,we remembered to pull the tab on the tensioner before closing up.)

IMG_1039.jpg

Good job, any prior symptoms the belt was on the way out?

He had some skipping on hard acceleration that he attributed to a worn compensator. That's why he had the Baker handy. Also figured that if he had to open the case, he would replace the clutch since it had almost 60K miles on it. (2014 model) daily driver.

They used to say 100k on the 2 wheelers back in the 03 models. I did have 90k on mine but,prior to leaving on a 15,000 + mile trip, I replaced it. We were riding the edge of the USA ,All the way around starting & ending at the Outer Banks & we knew Dealers would be few & far between. It did still look good. My 16 Tri had over 47k when traded for the 20 & it looked good also.

Rear belt

My 1988 2-wheeler had about 85 thou on it when it started popping the ribs on the belt,

ran a few more miles then replaced it. Currently havejust over a hundred thou on the second belt. Good running EVO!

:Coffee:

I never had to change any of my belts on my 2 wheelers, I traded them all around 60K miles

I fully expect to get at least 60-70 K on my 21 Freewheeler

I check my belt once a week for tension and any damage

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete the drummer
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png