2021 Freewheeler Clutch Adjustment

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
I'm feeling like gear changes should be a might smoother on my '21 Freewheeler. This thing shifts like my '59 Panhead when too much oil leaked out and finding neutral can be a chore. I'm also used to having a bit of play in the clutch lever, but this one doesn't seem to have any at all. Is this typical for the new bikes? Last new Harley I bought was a '78 Lowrider and I don't remember this much of a "clunk" going between gears. Don't get me wrong, it runs great and I'm not missing shifts or grinding gears just deciding what's normal and what could be improved upon. I haven't gotten a shop manual for it yet so I'm not up on the clutch lever adjustment procedure or if it even needs it. Has anyone adjusted their clutch on the new cable versions?

Yup, over on the RS frame down tube you will see the plastic cover over the clutch cable

Slide it up and out of the way, you will see a red keeper on @ the top of the cable adjuster, push on the fingers to pop the red keeper out. Next push the cable down and reinstall the keeper.

Now ( on a cold , over night not ridden Trike) remove the derby cover and adjust the clutch basket the same as you would any other Harley. I like 1/2 turn on the adjuster screw.

After you lock that down, go back to the cable, pop the red keeper back out, the cable should pop back up. Reinstall the red keeper making sure it locks in. You are done, go for a ride

I'm a newbie driver, just bought a 2021 Freewheeler. I've only driven 500 local miles. In the past I've ridden as passenger on a Fatboy. I never heard sounds like you described until I got the trike recently. I've noticed the engine runs so hot I feel like my right leg is burning & there are occasional "shifting gear" clunk or metal sounds. I also hear a bit of gas ping at times, but I thought maybe I just got nasty gas when I filled the tank. I am a newbie driver, new to the trike & new to cycling as a driver. So...I am reading & learning, but I am not mechanically experienced, so some of the terminology some posts have is unfamiliar right now. I was starting to think I should get an experienced Harley mechanic just to take my trike for a test ride, make sure all is well. Finding neutral took some getting used to; most times I just need to just toggle with the throttle handle a bit, then find neutral ok, or 2x I had to rock the trike backward & forward, then find neutral ok. Anyway...I'm glad to have found this site. It's good to be able to talk to someone that has the same year & model trike. Let me know how your trike is doing...I'm obviously in the beginning stage of breaking mine in.

Liz in Delaware

I'm a newbie driver, just bought a 2021 Freewheeler. I've only driven 500 local miles. In the past I've ridden as passenger on a Fatboy. I never heard sounds like you described until I got the trike recently. I've noticed the engine runs so hot I feel like my right leg is burning & there are occasional "shifting gear" clunk or metal sounds. I also hear a bit of gas ping at times, but I thought maybe I just got nasty gas when I filled the tank. I am a newbie driver, new to the trike & new to cycling as a driver. So...I am reading & learning, but I am not mechanically experienced, so some of the terminology some posts have is unfamiliar right now. I was starting to think I should get an experienced Harley mechanic just to take my trike for a test ride, make sure all is well. Finding neutral took some getting used to; most times I just need to just toggle with the throttle handle a bit, then find neutral ok, or 2x I had to rock the trike backward & forward, then find neutral ok. Anyway...I'm glad to have found this site. It's good to be able to talk to someone that has the same year & model trike. Let me know how your trike is doing...I'm obviously in the beginning stage of breaking mine in. Liz in Delaware

Welcome to the site and congrats on your 2021 Freewheeler purchase. I've been riding two wheelers since I was 16 and that was a looong time ago, but if buying my 2021 Freewheeler taught me anything it's that this is a completely different beast. I love it. As far as the heat situation goes there are several knowledgeable people in here who have some good ideas that could help, but in all honesty I haven't really experienced anything unusual heat wise. I did 200 miles yesterday in every kind of traffic situation in 94 degree weather without a hitch. The Freewheeler has an oil cooler on the front with a forced air fan blowing air on it when needed and the Milwaukee 8 motor was designed with heat mitigation in mind. I wouldn't recommend wearing shorts while riding, but I just haven't noticed anything unusual about the heat issue that would make me think somethings wrong. I'm also beginning to think that the clunk noise when shifting is just a quirk of the bike and getting it into Neutral is about the same as every Harley I've ever ridden. I've had occasion to be around another Freewheeler, a 2017 as it turned out, that sounded exactly the same as mine when he shifted. I haven't yet taken advantage of the tips for adjusting the clutch that have been offered in this thread as I'm coming up on my 1000 mile service and thought I'd mention it to them at that time. If they say anything productive I'll post back in this thread. Good luck, have fun.

Welcome to the site and congrats on your 2021 Freewheeler purchase. I've been riding two wheelers since I was 16 and that was a looong time ago, but if buying my 2021 Freewheeler taught me anything it's that this is a completely different beast. I love it. As far as the heat situation goes there are several knowledgeable people in here who have some good ideas that could help, but in all honesty I haven't really experienced anything unusual heat wise. I did 200 miles yesterday in every kind of traffic situation in 94 degree weather without a hitch. The Freewheeler has an oil cooler on the front with a forced air fan blowing air on it when needed and the Milwaukee 8 motor was designed with heat mitigation in mind. I wouldn't recommend wearing shorts while riding, but I just haven't noticed anything unusual about the heat issue that would make me think somethings wrong. I'm also beginning to think that the clunk noise when shifting is just a quirk of the bike and getting it into Neutral is about the same as every Harley I've ever ridden. I've had occasion to be around another Freewheeler, a 2017 as it turned out, that sounded exactly the same as mine when he shifted. I haven't yet taken advantage of the tips for adjusting the clutch that have been offered in this thread as I'm coming up on my 1000 mile service and thought I'd mention it to them at that time. If they say anything productive I'll post back in this thread. Good luck, have fun.

Harleys don’t have neutral’ Theres just a little air space between First and Second..And as far as the Harley Clunk that’s a copyright feature and part of its charm 😁.. eliminating it will void the warranty 😁😁..

Harleys don’t have neutral’ Theres just a little air space between First and Second..And as far as the Harley Clunk that’s a copyright feature and part of its charm ��.. eliminating it will void the warranty ����..

Many years ago I figured out that 90% of the time I had trouble finding neutral I was not actually in first gear when I started looking for it. The other 10% of the time I just needed to move my Harley a little in either direction to find it. I have owned 6 Harleys so this is not just on my Freewheelers, the 2015 I had or the 2020 I now own.

When you have your 1K service you can request heavier lubricant for your transmission but it will still have the Harley Clunk, just not as clunky. The dealer will also do a test ride after the service. Do not hesitate to ask your dealer about any concerns you have with your new trike.

Harleys don’t have neutral’ Theres just a little air space between First and Second..And as far as the Harley Clunk that’s a copyright feature and part of its charm 😁.. eliminating it will void the warranty 😁😁..

Haha hahaha 😆. Best way ever to explain it. 👍

The dreaded Klunk

After it warms up in newtrel , I shut down , put in gear , clutch up and start . Noooo Klunk !

My other issue is the transmission is gears … I use Gear Oil . Not motor oil . My preference, My stubborn way , and I’m sticking to it.

I'm a newbie driver, just bought a 2021 Freewheeler. I've only driven 500 local miles. In the past I've ridden as passenger on a Fatboy. I never heard sounds like you described until I got the trike recently. I've noticed the engine runs so hot I feel like my right leg is burning & there are occasional "shifting gear" clunk or metal sounds. I also hear a bit of gas ping at times, but I thought maybe I just got nasty gas when I filled the tank. I am a newbie driver, new to the trike & new to cycling as a driver. So...I am reading & learning, but I am not mechanically experienced, so some of the terminology some posts have is unfamiliar right now. I was starting to think I should get an experienced Harley mechanic just to take my trike for a test ride, make sure all is well. Finding neutral took some getting used to; most times I just need to just toggle with the throttle handle a bit, then find neutral ok, or 2x I had to rock the trike backward & forward, then find neutral ok. Anyway...I'm glad to have found this site. It's good to be able to talk to someone that has the same year & model trike. Let me know how your trike is doing...I'm obviously in the beginning stage of breaking mine in.

Liz in Delaware

Hi Liz and Welcome to Trike Talk

You may want to take your trike back to your dealer and discuss with a tech your neutral problem, either your clutch is not set up right or too much fluid is in your primary chain case IMO. I have a 21 Freewheeler, the first thing I did was change my primary fluid and adjust my clutch, it is now up to my standards . You will never get rid of the infamous HD clunking of gears, it is nature of the beast. As far as the felt heat you are having, the M8 run too darn hot for their own good. Start reading here, DK Customs is a sponsor here and has tested M8 and Twin Cam engines for some time now

https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/ac...-twin-cam-milwaukee-eight-engines-part-ii.htm

Hi Liz and Welcome to Trike Talk

You may want to take your trike back to your dealer and discuss with a tech your neutral problem, either your clutch is not set up right or too much fluid is in your primary chain case IMO. I have a 21 Freewheeler, the first thing I did was change my primary fluid and adjust my clutch, it is now up to my standards . You will never get rid of the infamous HD clunking of gears, it is nature of the beast. As far as the felt heat you are having, the M8 run too darn hot for their own good. Start reading here, DK Customs is a sponsor here and has tested M8 and Twin Cam engines for some time now

https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/ac...-twin-cam-milwaukee-eight-engines-part-ii.htm

Hi, would you know how high would i go on the tank lift.. I have a 21 freewheeler.. Very good info

thanks

I'm feeling like gear changes should be a might smoother on my '21 Freewheeler. This thing shifts like my '59 Panhead when too much oil leaked out and finding neutral can be a chore. I'm also used to having a bit of play in the clutch lever, but this one doesn't seem to have any at all. Is this typical for the new bikes? Last new Harley I bought was a '78 Lowrider and I don't remember this much of a "clunk" going between gears. Don't get me wrong, it runs great and I'm not missing shifts or grinding gears just deciding what's normal and what could be improved upon. I haven't gotten a shop manual for it yet so I'm not up on the clutch lever adjustment procedure or if it even needs it. Has anyone adjusted their clutch on the new cable versions?

Put Redline with Shockproof in the tranny & you will think someone rebuilt it for you.:Dorag:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png