What date do you usually put your bike away for hibernation in the winter months

Burnerboy

2000+ Posts
Sep 2, 2016
Springfield, Mass. USA
What date do you usually put your bike away for hibernation in the winter months

First you lucky folks in the warm'rr areas (please don't be a smart azz and brag that we never have to put our bikes away) Your only making the rest of very, very jealous (LOL)

As much as I love to ride all season, it's impossible here in Massachusetts...

But I do put her away soon'rrr than later, cause I like to put her away correctly... and not wait till it's either -0 zero temps, or a foot of snow, suddenly falls, and that makes it impossible to truly put her too bed correctly.....

I like to take a last ride and place fuel stabilizer, in fuel tank and then fill it up to the brim with gas (this allows stabilizer to get into the injectors or carbs fully)

I then change oil and filter while the oil is warm

I replace all spark plugs (BUT before replacing plugs I squirt in fogging oil, into each cylinder / and turn motor over to be sure all cyl walls are coated

I wash and wax 100% of the bike (paying special attention to real chrome/I want that totally wax'd) I hate rust!

Remove battery Or place maintainer on battery

Place rug under bike in garage (keeps any condensation from forming under bike )

Replace anti freeze coolant (for us with water cooled engines)

Give her a hug, and place a breathable blanket on top and close the garage doors, till April 1st...

AND THEN PULL OUT MY SNOW SKIES, AND PRAY FOR LOT'S OF SNOW.............

Ronnie

I’m not sure when I will put my Bikes, and Trike away. I’m not a cold weather rider and our snow comes and goes away repeatedly here in Idaho. I think mid November when our daily highs are in the 30-40s will be the end of my riding season. I just finished putting a lift in my garage and have a big pile of new parts and a big list of projects to work on during the off season. That might tempt me more than the weather this year.

Having a winter home that would allow winter riding is tempting but summer riding in those locations is a drag. When those guys boast of their winter riding, ask them about their August riding enjoyment. HaHa.

I like to put mine away as soon as I get home. I keep them in a shed behind my barn. I don't have much of a memory, so if park it down there and don't put it away it could sit outside for weeks. You know out of sight out of mind.:) I never put my bike away with the intention of not using it till spring. I almost never wash them,it removes the protective coating. Can't have that.:laugh:

I think you have a good plan Ronnie. We have opposing riding seasons. I put mine up for the summer. Usually about the 1st of June. It hibernates in the shaded carport, under (breathable) cover, with battery tender attached until about the 1st of September. There are some who ride year round here, but not me. 110+ afternoon riding is not my idea of a good time. But I think our good riding season is a bit longer here than most parts of the country. We can expect 8-9 months of very good, dry riding weather...... Jim

I’m not sure when I will put my Bikes, and Trike away. I’m not a cold weather rider and our snow comes and goes away repeatedly here in Idaho. I think mid November when our daily highs are in the 30-40s will be the end of my riding season. I just finished putting a lift in my garage and have a big pile of new parts and a big list of projects to work on during the off season. That might tempt me more than the weather this year.

Having a winter home that would allow winter riding is tempting but summer riding in those locations is a drag. When those guys boast of their winter riding, ask them about their August riding enjoyment. HaHa.

HaHa…. We can ride every day in August… or any other month. Unless its raining…I don’t like the mess it makes on the bike.

In summertime, usually on the road by 8’sh and back by 2’sh…any day of the week.

In cooler temps, on goes the heated gear…out by 9’sh, take off the heated gear in an hour or so… and back before dark.

:):yahoo:

If you have a cement floor, a rug under the bike isn't needed. That's for dirt floors

I wipe mine down, fill it with gas. Change oil and park it till April

First you lucky folks in the warm'rr areas (please don't be a smart azz and brag that we never have to put our bikes away) Your only making the rest of very, very jealous (LOL)

As much as I love to ride all season, it's impossible here in Massachusetts...

But I do put her away soon'rrr than later, cause I like to put her away correctly... and not wait till it's either -0 zero temps, or a foot of snow, suddenly falls, and that makes it impossible to truly put her too bed correctly.....

I like to take a last ride and place fuel stabilizer, in fuel tank and then fill it up to the brim with gas (this allows stabilizer to get into the injectors or carbs fully)

I then change oil and filter while the oil is warm

I replace all spark plugs (BUT before replacing plugs I squirt in fogging oil, into each cylinder / and turn motor over to be sure all cyl walls are coated

I wash and wax 100% of the bike (paying special attention to real chrome/I want that totally wax'd) I hate rust!

Remove battery Or place maintainer on battery

Place rug under bike in garage (keeps any condensation from forming under bike )

Replace anti freeze coolant (for us with water cooled engines)

Give her a hug, and place a breathable blanket on top and close the garage doors, till April 1st...

AND THEN PULL OUT MY SNOW SKIES, AND PRAY FOR LOT'S OF SNOW.............

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png