Thinking of Changing the Factory Aircleaner

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
I found this Cobra PowerFlo Intake System for the Milwaukee Eight motor that I really looks sharp to me. I want to show off more of the engine than the factory '21 Freewheeler air cleaner does and it comes with a K&N air filter, but I don't want to get involved with dyno testing or tuning systems. The manufacturer says it's not necessary to do anything after installation, BUT it's "best to tune it" and then they offer to sell you a tune kit. While I like the factory air cleaner it's on the large side and I like the clean looks of this one. Does anybody know anything about this Cobra setup?

Cobra PowerFlo Intake System.jpg

I found this Cobra PowerFlo Intake System for the Milwaukee Eight motor that I really looks sharp to me. I want to show off more of the engine than the factory '21 Freewheeler air cleaner does and it comes with a K&N air filter, but I don't want to get involved with dyno testing or tuning systems. The manufacturer says it's not necessary to do anything after installation, BUT it's "best to tune it" and then they offer to sell you a tune kit. While I like the factory air cleaner it's on the large side and I like the clean looks of this one. Does anybody know anything about this Cobra setup?

View attachment 103111

I have no knowledge of the Cobra....But.....As a ex-drag racer....[Class record holder]...When you change one thing on the intake and or the exhaust no matter what anyone says, It begets you to change another thing to make the first change right......

Yes you can add that air cleaner. The ECM has some leeway in adjusting the AFR- limited but it does it all the time- like constantly. Now if you also add new exhaust then you will need a tuner. Give it a try- your gonna end up changing stuff out and youll get a tuner anyway.

If you want real bang for your buck check out D K Customs for an Outlaw AC;)

And yes HD can and will eat up your warranty on any M8 engine for AC and exhaust and tuners not approved by them and the EPA police:p

The EPA has hit them hard ( HD agreed with the EPA ) over this baloney IMO

So I went ahead and bought the Cobra PowerFlo aircleaner with the K&N filter. Was going to wait 'till after my 5,000 mile service that's coming up, but you know how that goes. I gotta say it's one well built set up, albeit with rather lame instructions. I've gotten better clarity from instructions for Japanese model kits. Youtube bailed me out and I had it on in about 15 minutes. Had a break in the weather today and ran up onto the freeway.

A noticeable performance increase. Not spectacular, but quite perceptible and I think it looks better than stock without looking out of place and shows off way more of the motor. No warning lights showed up so I'm going to try a longer ride tomorrow and see how it does. Got it from Parts Giant. By far the best price with free shipping. Received it three days after purchase. I'm a happy camper, at least for now.

IMG_20211030_180541530.jpg

Looks way better than stock:clapping:

You should not get any check engine light

The M8 engines run richer from the factory, I ran a DK Customs outlaw AC on my 17 M8 with no problems

John, question for you

How do the breather bolts off the heads route?

If it is back into the throttle you may want to check on making or buying a reroute with a catch can from D K Customs so you are not choking your engine with that hot oily moisture laden crap JMO

John, question for you How do the breather bolts off the heads route? If it is back into the throttle you may want to check on making or buying a reroute with a catch can from D K Customs so you are not choking your engine with that hot oily moisture laden crap JMO

Yep, routes the same way as stock. Back into the intake. They use different bolts, but otherwise identical setup. You wouldn't happen to have a link to that item would you?

I have no knowledge of the Cobra....But.....As a ex-drag racer....[Class record holder]...When you change one thing on the intake and or the exhaust no matter what anyone says, It begets you to change another thing to make the first change right......

This !

Ehhhh ........... What will the motor co say about a catch can ? Last thing he needs to do is bust his warranty coverage. After being busted by the EPA, I wouldn't give H-D any thing to kick about. They won't say squat about the new air cleaner. A catch can they might. He really needs to run that by his dealer IMHO just to be on the safe side.

Ehhhh ........... What will the motor co say about a catch can ? Last thing he needs to do is bust his warranty coverage. After being busted by the EPA, I wouldn't give H-D any thing to kick about. They won't say squat about the new air cleaner. A catch can they might. He really needs to run that by his dealer IMHO just to be on the safe side.

Thats akin to asking Momma can i have a piece of pie before dinner....You know what the answer is gonna be....:bashtroll:........Besides the'll never say it's ok..[In writing that is 'Plausible Deniability]..Playing with emission controls...Ie; Tampering...Is Illegal..

This is why I broached the question. Op has a new mc. I would hate for him to have an issue, unlikely as it might be, and have a warranty claim denied because he's added a catch can.

This is why I broached the question. Op has a new mc. I would hate for him to have an issue, unlikely as it might be, and have a warranty claim denied because he's added a catch can.

I never worried about warrantees....I just did what i wanted to do, And i never had a problem...But because i never had one that doesn't mean that someone else wont have one..

Me' I never asked on any forum if i do such and such will it void my warranty..And that because i'm not worried......That said, If someone has to ask that means their worried and maybe they shouldn't do it...At least until their warranty is over..:Shrug:...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Highwayman 90
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png