Changing sprockets on HD trike

May 11, 2021
S. Daytona, FL
I have a 2013 HD Ultra Limited with a Roadsmith trike kit installed. The problem I have is, it is a dog just starting off with myself and wife onboard. I am a big boy weighing in at 280 and wife is over 200, so I know I am asking a lot from the 103 engine. I believe it has the Stage 1 kit, Regardless, its a dog when trying to get it moving, a lot of throttle and feathering the clutch.

Just wondering if I can change the front sprocket or rear sprocket to get a better rear ratio? Has anyone here done this? Or anyone here have the same issue? Thanks for all inputs. Kim

I have a 2013 HD Ultra Limited with a Roadsmith trike kit installed. The problem I have is, it is a dog just starting off with myself and wife onboard. I am a big boy weighing in at 280 and wife is over 200, so I know I am asking a lot from the 103 engine. I believe it has the Stage 1 kit, Regardless, its a dog when trying to get it moving, a lot of throttle and feathering the clutch. Just wondering if I can change the front sprocket or rear sprocket to get a better rear ratio? Has anyone here done this? Or anyone here have the same issue? Thanks for all inputs. Kim

Hi Kim, welcome to the forums from East Virginia.

I had the same problem with my 2010 Triglide. I , along with several others have changed my front sprocket on the rear belt drive from a 32 to a 30 tooth. Made a world of difference starting off in first gear. Here is a VERY LONG thread from a few years ago that shows the process in detail.

I had my Indie mechanic do mine since I don't have the tools for it. Search the forums for (30 tooth sprocket) and there is more info on it. The specs on a 2013 FLHTCU showed that you have a 32 tooth sprocket as stock.

Changing Triglide Transmission Sprocket

Thanks so much, I have a couple of Independent shops here in Daytona, including The Trike Shop, I'll see what they would charge, LOL. Thanks, Kim

I would rather have the more power than higher RPM… I would put Andrews 48 cams and a good tuner in it.

the one thing I don’t like on my 14 TG is the gearing.

I have a 2013 HD Ultra Limited with a Roadsmith trike kit installed. The problem I have is, it is a dog just starting off with myself and wife onboard. I am a big boy weighing in at 280 and wife is over 200, so I know I am asking a lot from the 103 engine. I believe it has the Stage 1 kit, Regardless, its a dog when trying to get it moving, a lot of throttle and feathering the clutch. Just wondering if I can change the front sprocket or rear sprocket to get a better rear ratio? Has anyone here done this? Or anyone here have the same issue? Thanks for all inputs. Kim

Did you ever get your sprocket changed out? Had you thought of changing the motor sprocket with a new primary chain instead of the trans sprocket?

I had the front sprocket changed out on my 2016. Very happy .

I've read some older posts and seen where Roadsmith had told them that there wasn't enough adjustment in the rear belt to allow for changing the trans sprocket.

Did you change to a non-compensated sprocket, or did you find a compensated one? Read a post that stated the non-compensated sprocket causes a vibration in the drivetrain.

The sprocket changed on mine was the engine sprocket. Also a factory trike from HD 2016. no prob with rear belt. Don't know about Roadsmiths. I remember i was thinking a 2 tooth difference, but the service guy (I trust) said to only go 1 tooth . Did so with an Andrews sprocket.

The sprocket changed on mine was the engine sprocket. Also a factory trike from HD 2016. no prob with rear belt. Don't know about Roadsmiths. I remember i was thinking a 2 tooth difference, but the service guy (I trust) said to only go 1 tooth . Did so with an Andrews sprocket.

Do you by chance have any info on the sprocket you used??

Have you done anything for a steering damper??

What ever the teeth are on stock. went one diff.

I found the Andrews 31 tooth trans sprocket, think I'll go that way if Roadsmith thinks I can get enough belt adjustment. As for the damper, I get a little shimmy when going across tracks at a bit of an angle, Doug says that normal. They had already installed the rake kit they recommend and sell, just didn't seem right to get the shimmy.

I found the Andrews 31 tooth trans sprocket, think I'll go that way if Roadsmith thinks I can get enough belt adjustment. As for the damper, I get a little shimmy when going across tracks at a bit of an angle, Doug says that normal. They had already installed the rake kit they recommend and sell, just didn't seem right to get the shimmy.

Been a few yrs since I did that,but, I believe it was the Andrews 31!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tune man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tune man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png