replacing brake rotors/pads

May 11, 2021
S. Daytona, FL
Anybody replaced their front/rear brake rotors and pads on a HD/Roadsmith trike? The front is pretty much like a two wheeler, so basicly the rear. Can the rotors be machined? If replacing what VW part number do I need, or do I have to order from Roadsmith? Anybody here ever redone the brakes? Trike only has 12K miles but rotors are pulsating way too much. Thanks, Kim

Kim, you will save time by replacing the rotors now

Trying to eliminate run out on a lathe is very hard to do and not worth the effort

I have set up many rotors for machining ( I kept my lathe in top condition always) only to not produce a good surface free of run out ( it is hard to duplicate your run out on a lathe to an acceptable number)

Listen too Jack above:

Buy those rotor's new.........Once they've been machined down, the "thickness" is gone, (so you'll be replacing them again, much soon'rrr) and a machined down rotor may not be true diameter..

Ronnie

11/15/21

Anybody replaced their front/rear brake rotors and pads on a HD/Roadsmith trike? The front is pretty much like a two wheeler, so basicly the rear. Can the rotors be machined? If replacing what VW part number do I need, or do I have to order from Roadsmith? Anybody here ever redone the brakes? Trike only has 12K miles but rotors are pulsating way too much. Thanks, Kim

If you got a packet with the kit, the parts info is

in your packet/manual.

Guess I should of looked at the date of the post...lol

The brake parts are VW for the Harley, 69-79 beetle type 3 or Ghia. The hubs and rotors are aftermarket as VW doesn't make a 5 on 4.5 wheel pattern, haven't checked, but those may only be available from Roadsmith. I had good luck finding the other parts through Jbugs.com, they sell vintage VW parts. I just had mine built but wanted to know where I could get the parts before I actually needed them.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvester
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png