Freewheeler Making Random Screeching Noise

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
Started to notice this after the 1000 mile service. At around 55 mph or beyond, I hear a random screeching coming from the vicinity of the right rear wheel. Doesn't do it all the time and it's not a constant screech. It'll go something like "screech, pause, screech-screech-screech, pause, screech" if that makes sense. There's no pattern to it. It sounds for all the world like metal on metal at the brake. Told them about it at the 5000 mile service, but the tech said they couldn't reproduce it and the brake wear is normal. I can see they test rode it by the odometer reading, which I took note of before dropping it off. I can't hear it when wearing my full helmet, but I CAN hear it when wearing my half helmet with open ear flaps, but even then not all the time. That's what's so annoying about this noise. I can't reproduce it on demand either, but when it's screeching I can't miss it.

Jack it up in neutral ( bunge the front brake) turn the rear wheel slow, do you hear a noise? Pull on the wheel ( in and out) does it move excessive?

Jack it up in neutral ( bunge the front brake) turn the rear wheel slow, do you hear a noise? Pull on the wheel ( in and out) does it move excessive?

Excellent, thank you. I've been looking at floor jacks for a while. Figured I'd need one eventually. Any thoughts on what type of a jack to get? I believe the manual has instructions for jacking the rear end off the ground.

Just for grins, check the exhaust crossover pipe, it has been known to make noise.

Also, grab hold of the mufflers and check for noise, push and try to pull them. Sometimes the rubber hangers can make them squeak. If they squeak you will need to give the rubbers a shot of lube

So my floor jack came in and I raised the rear wheels. While in neutral I turned the right wheel. Didn't make any noise and had no in and out play at all that I could detect. It's been a high of 41 around here. May have to wait a while before I can listen on the road again.

So my floor jack came in and I raised the rear wheels. While in neutral I turned the right wheel. Didn't make any noise and had no in and out play at all that I could detect. It's been a high of 41 around here. May have to wait a while before I can listen on the road again.

If you can ride alongside a wall or barrier to see for sure if the noise is coming from the right side;) Pull the clutch in and see if the noise goes away

Mine started making the same noise after towing it for 8 hours in a covered trailer last May.. As soon as I unloaded it, it started making that screeching noise when backing up and then hitting the foot brake. I took it in to Harley and they couldn't find anything wrong. Of course it didn't make the noise for the mechanics to hear.. It even did it on bike night a couple months later and some of the sales staff heard it but of course no one from the service dept. was there. So since they checked the brakes and said everything looks fine, I left it alone. It's not causing any problems, just makes that loud noise or screeching metal sound once in awhile.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png