Heated grip Install query.

Oct 14, 2021
UK
Right then “guys and gals”, anyone fitted genuine HD heated grips to a 2018 or similar Tri Glide Ultra? I have so far…..

1. fitted both grips

2. Run the cables through the handlebars

3. connected the two plugs to the relevant plugs behind the bat wing

My problem appears to be there is no power at the plugs behind the bat wing. Instructions are, shall we say, “unclear”. Do I need to connect up a plug or wires in the area of the battery? I had the tank and wiring channel cover off yesterday to fit my Jims ForceFlow and didn't see any spare wires etc. I have an additional HD wiring loom plugged into the right hand side of the bike that was needed for the Hammock heated seat and this has another plug and three spare wires in it but the two accessory plugs I have found on the left side of the bike do not match. Trying to avoid taking to a dealer if possible but can anyone advise or point me to a source for guidance please?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Right then “guys and gals”, anyone fitted genuine HD heated grips to a 2018 or similar Tri Glide Ultra? I have so far…..

1. fitted both grips

2. Run the cables through the handlebars

3. connected the two plugs to the relevant plugs behind the bat wing

My problem appears to be there is no power at the plugs behind the bat wing. Instructions are, shall we say, “unclear”. Do I need to connect up a plug or wires in the area of the battery? I had the tank and wiring channel cover off yesterday to fit my Jims ForceFlow and didn't see any spare wires etc. I have an additional HD wiring loom plugged into the right hand side of the bike that was needed for the Hammock heated seat and this has another plug and three spare wires in it but the two accessory plugs I have found on the left side of the bike do not match. Trying to avoid taking to a dealer if possible but can anyone advise or point me to a source for guidance please?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Hi Bob. The instructions are clear as mud for sure. Here's what I've learned. SOME of the heated grips do require a wiring harness but those are the ones where the power wires to the left grip must be run externally. Since you said you have run the cables through the handlebars I assume (I know that's dangerous so please verify) that you are using p/n 56100034 - black rubber heated hand grips. If so here's what you need to do.

Connect the power cable plug from the left hand grip to 'heated hand grip power' connector which is item # 9 on attached photo. Note: there is a 'dummy' plug in the connector to protect it so remove this first. Then connect the 'interconnect harness' between the left and right hand grip. Lastly plug the 2 prong plug into the TGS on the right handlebar.

If it still does not heat use a test light or multimeter to verify you have power under the fairing.

I've installed these heated hand grips on my 2018 TG and now my 2020 TG. Very unusual but on my recent 2020 install I had a defective left grip right out of the box. This is usually what fails and my dealer had just a left grip in stock. He let me borrow it so I could hook it up to verify heat and then he swapped it out for the defect. As I said that was very unusual but chit does happen.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Attachments

• Document_2021-12-12_094608.jpg
    Document_2021-12-12_094608.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 76
Heated Grip power supply

Hi Bob. The instructions are clear as mud for sure. Here's what I've learned. SOME of the heated grips do require a wiring harness but those are the ones where the power wires to the left grip must be run externally. Since you said you have run the cables through the handlebars I assume (I know that's dangerous so please verify) that you are using p/n 56100034 - black rubber heated hand grips. If so here's what you need to do.

Connect the power cable plug from the left hand grip to 'heated hand grip power' connector which is item # 9 on attached photo. Note: there is a 'dummy' plug in the connector to protect it so remove this first. Then connect the 'interconnect harness' between the left and right hand grip. Lastly plug the 2 prong plug into the TGS on the right handlebar.

If it still does not heat use a test light or multimeter to verify you have power under the fairing.

I've installed these heated hand grips on my 2018 TG and now my 2020 TG. Very unusual but on my recent 2020 install I had a defective left grip right out of the box. This is usually what fails and my dealer had just a left grip in stock. He let me borrow it so I could hook it up to verify heat and then he swapped it out for the defect. As I said that was very unusual but chit does happen.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Good evening Jerry, many thanks for your reply - appreciated!

Right then, feedback! I have fitted Harley’s Airflow Heated Grips, P/N 56100342 and I do NOT have the two plugs Number 9 in the wiring behind my batwing. Just been out and checked and rechecked! UK bikes different (?) as I do not have a connector for a central headlight either.

The wires from my grips are connected as per the attached photo. Second picture was too blurred to bother with but on the HD.com site, the fitting instructions showed these two plugs as the ones to use.

There were two black plastic caps on them so they were removed and the male plugs on the leads from the left grip attached. The two pin cap on the right hand grip has been connected and rechecked so there seems no problem there. With the ignition on, my multimeter shows no power on either female plug that would receive the leads from the left grip. So definitely at a loss!

Attachments

• 1C916474-3EBA-434C-8BFC-4EA6B6839AF5.jpg
    1C916474-3EBA-434C-8BFC-4EA6B6839AF5.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 72
Good evening Jerry, many thanks for your reply - appreciated!

UK bikes different (?) as I do not have a connector for a central headlight either.

The wires from my grips are connected as per the attached photo. Second picture was too blurred to bother with but on the HD.com site, the fitting instructions showed these two plugs as the ones to use.

Harley bikes speck for Europe have to comply with EU Regulations for headlights..So yes they are different ...

Did not realize you were across the pond Bob. With your bike bring HDI and different grip my install is not relevant. Good luck getting it sorted.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png