Likes Likes:  1
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Why I sold my 2017 Can Am F3 LTD

User ID
    Thanks

Default Why I sold my 2017 Can Am F3 LTD

I had a 2017 F3 Ltd , Loved it, It only had 7000 miles on it and had no issues with it, but what I found some dealers were doing and BRP backed them up, I sold my bike and bought a Freewheeler.

I was on a site Spyderlovers.com, there was some one who posted he had a 2014 Can Am and wanted to get his rear tire changed the dealer told him they no longer work on bikes that are 5 years old . They will only work on the ones (5 years or older) that are under warranty. Now mind you the dealer had 2 bikes that were over five years old they selling on the show room floor. (big surprise for the ones who buy them) The owner of the bike contacted BRP and was told by BRP, the dealer has the right not to work on bikes that are 5 years old or older. So when you are buying your Can Am ask your dealer if they work on 5 year and older bikes. Not all dealers do this, but you need to know if you need repairs on your bike.

82000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    User ID
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NJtony View Post
    I had a 2017 F3 Ltd , Loved it, It only had 7000 miles on it and had no issues with it, but what I found some dealers were doing and BRP backed them up, I sold my bike and bought a Freewheeler.

I was on a site Spyderlovers.com, there was some one who posted he had a 2014 Can Am and wanted to get his rear tire changed the dealer told him they no longer work on bikes that are 5 years old . They will only work on the ones (5 years or older) that are under warranty. Now mind you the dealer had 2 bikes that were over five years old they selling on the show room floor. ( big surprise for the ones who buy them) The owner of the bike contacted BRP and was told by BRP, the dealer has the right not to work on bikes that are 5 years old or older. So when you are buying your Can Am ask your dealer if they work on 5 year and older bikes. Not all dealers do this, but you need to know if you need repairs on your bike.
    Dealers are independent franchises and as such once a bike is out of warranty they can set their own policy….
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2019 Tri-Glide.......

Just Killing Time...
    Gold Club Member
    User ID
    Thanks

It was my experience that the local Honda dealer refused to do just Honda work on my GL1800 Honda trike…let alone the trike kit. Had to take it to an indy 125 miles from me.

So when I moved I was 150 miles from the indy. He retired so I finally sold the Honda trike and bought a 2021 Spyder RTLtd. The dealer is only 46 miles from me and they work on all years/models of Spyders/Rykers.

I like this machine almost as much as my Honda trike. It also consistently gets 37-38 mpg…Honda trike would range from 28-31mpg and when that fuel gauge hit half it dropped like a rock… I was always concerned with keeping it topped off as we often ride in remote areas.
    New course heading Mr. Sulu: ...2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...!!

Scooter and Sassi....2 furrever.

User ID
    Thanks

Paws

I did love that bike. I had the vented windshield with the f4 air wings , baker air wings, upper and lower and the stabilizer bar upgrade. I drove that from NJ to Maggie Valley and drove it straight home from Little Switzerland back home (650 miles in 12 hours) There was never any buffeting and it was great in the rain. It was a great cruiser bike.

Rhino 2

I hear what you are saying about dealers setting their own rules on what year bike they can work on, But this person went to get his rear tire replaced on an RT. The rear tire is the same as the 2020 RT. If he had a computer related issue he would be SOL. And the OBD on the Can AM is proprietary, you just can't connect the tool for your car to see if you can pull your codes, it will not work. The computer program for the Can Am is over 1K with a yearly fee. Yes, a license fee so it can work for a year. This is not a worth while investment for most people.

All I am saying is to ask the dealer before you buy a Can AM ( ASK: If I keep this over 5 years will you still work on this?) I am betting most will say they will, (i would want it in writing), but , you don't want to buy from the dealer who says they will not work on your bike because it is too old in 5 years and will not put it in writing.

1+ Posts
    User ID
    Thanks

To be fair, any dealer, regardless of brands sold/serviced can make those rules. BRP has enough dealers (and indies) in NJ/PA area that service shouldn't be hard to find.

Wish could say the same for Aprilia!

User ID
    Thanks

Re Paws, comment #3, I can surely relate to your comment. Wife and I were up in TN for our GW Trike vacation, it dropped a code, I had no idea. So I began calling, several dealers avoiding me like the plague. So we dumped a vacation and returned home early not knowing how the return trip was gonna go, code showing, tensions high. We did make it home where my 'go to' man fixed the problem, not a dealer. So I traded that beast in on a 2020 RTL Spyder, all is good now. Yeah, I know, it can happen to any scoot, but my point is the same as Paws comment.