H.D. trike steering

Apr 12, 2011
MODESTO CA. USA
Has anyone out there with a Harley Tri Glide had problems with their bike pushing streight while trying to make a slow turn. My 2011 tri glide did this to me on a club ride. I was slowing down to make a lazy left bend in the road. The trike just wanted to go straight causing me to drift off the pavement on to the shoulder of the road. When this happened the gravel and sand put me out off control and in to a stone wall head on. Every thing from the neck forward on the trike had to be replaced and is know ready to ride. My left wrist and hand was severely damaged. Hope to regain quality use of my hand and wrist again.

WOW, hope you're OK! We just picked up wife's 2011 Tri-Glide this afternoon. She rode it home through the canyons 50 miles. Very twisty ride. She had no problems at all. I was riding her old (now my new) 2009 Tri Glide. It will take some time for me to get used to trike steering.

Good Luck!

Has anyone out there with a Harley Tri Glide had problems with their bike pushing streight while trying to make a slow turn. My 2011 tri glide did this to me on a club ride. I was slowing down to make a lazy left bend in the road. The trike just wanted to go straight causing me to drift off the pavement on to the shoulder of the road. When this happened the gravel and sand put me out off control and in to a stone wall head on. Every thing from the neck forward on the trike had to be replaced and is know ready to ride. My left wrist and hand was severely damaged. Hope to regain quality use of my hand and wrist again.

Really sorry to hear about your misfortune and corresponding injuries. I recently purchased a 2011 Tri Glide and have not experienced any of the steering issues you mentioned. When they were making repairs on the bike was there anything mechanical they could identify as causing or contributing to the steering issues? Hope you heal qucikly. Be safe.

Thanks for all your support. Nothing was mentioned during and after repairs about anything mechanically wrong with the trike. There was some sand on the road but I did not feel it sliding. It could have been to much braking on the front wheel that caused it to push or plow. The trike seemed to do this before the accident every time I tryed to make a turn under deacceleration. The trike has been repaired and right now I'm waiting on the shop to send off my clutch pack to E.F.M. Clutches in Ohio to fit it with one of their automatic clutches. This will elimenate the use of the clutch lever for right now. Hope that this will put me back on the road. The wrist is still healing.Thanks Andrew.

Apulizzi

Let us know how the auto clutch works for you. Clutch pull is pretty heavy on my Road Glide and it looks like one of these clutches will work with the hydraulic clutch mine has. Thanks for posting this information, I knew someone offered one but I hadn't been able to find it.

Thanks
Dwight

Sorry about what happened on your new 2011 Trike. I'm a new Trike rider and all winter I combed the internet and this forum on Trike riding tech. After I checked the air pressure in the tires, off I went for the maiden ride. There is a rode with a 3 40 mph turns in it so that is where I headed. took it easy and of course it was way different than going through the turns with my Street Glide. Went through those turns at about 35mph. Then I went over to a large parking lot and did some of Trike Riding Training technics that I've read (like Trinity Trikes) starting out riding around (can't be done with one arm} stop and goes and figure eights. After realizing I was Not going to tip over and hang on to it,, I rode left and right circles until I worked up to 20 mph both ways. When I went back to the 3 turn road I could take them at 40 going one way and then repeatedly 50 mph without pushing it. Pleas Please I don't know what happened when you had the accident with your Trike but maybe what I experienced could come in handy???

Man, it sucks to hear this. If it were me though, when I get back on the trike, I'd head to a large parking lot and try to repeat the scenario, to see if it will happen again. Reason- I wonder if the problem isn't in the differential locking up. Another thing- before I'd spend mega bucks on converting to an automatic clutch, I think I'd try the Pingel shifter (link below)... it might be too late for you though. Heal up and enjoy the ride.:wtg:
Pingel All Electric Up/Down Shifters

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dpegleg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dpegleg
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png