2018 Tri Glide - should I be worried about oil sumping??????

Oct 14, 2021
UK
I really must stay away from on line forums, you tube etc. By chance I have become aware of the issue of oil sumping on the M8 engines. There are threads that imply engines will be destroyed, others that its not a common issue etc etc. Opinions state it is more likely if the nike is driven at high revs for long distances. Threads also suggest it affects most / all engine models while cures appear to focus on an updated oil pump. Had some input from Dwayne at DK Customs which helped but not am hoping that forum members might be able to give a definitive summary.

My Tri Glide (which has just had a Stage 1 upgrade fitted) was built late December in 2017. I spoke with my local dealer who told me the issue is oil getting from the gearbox to the Primary. Is this the same issue or another????? The guidance from the dealer was -

Check gearbox oil and make sure it is correct

Drive 1000 miles and check again.

The oil level at this point will tell whether there is an issue….. or not!

With a 3 week two up tour of Spain booked for the coming summer, I am anxious to pre empt any issues if they exist and put my mind at rest! Can any members suggest if -

I am likely to have a problem?

I don't need to worry?

I should be take certain steps to “future proof” the bike - upgraded oil pump for instance.

Your thoughts and opinions appreciated!

Bob

With my 2017 Tri-Glide i had the sumping happen twice ...But the main reason i sold it was the oil transferring...At the time the two fixes Harley came up with made it worst, Now from what i understand they have a fix its a little vent hose on the primary (Its on my 2019)....If your 2018 doesn't have it your Harley dealer will install it as per a service bulletin.. With the sumping i didn't have the trike lone enough to get it checked out..:Shrug:

If you are not having problems, let it go

The sumping is engine oil not returning to the oil tank. If you have a sumping problem you will experience a lack of power, running hot and possible burning smell

The correction for this is an upgraded oil pump with a seal

The oil migration from the tranny to the primary is a separate issue

This can be fixed with a primary vent kit pretty easily if you are handy with tools

Here is a PDF link to the kit with install directions

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson...946960640898220/94100065_1297750_en_US.blaise

Have a look here to check your bike for sumping

If you are worried then have your dealer upgrade the oil pump with either the latest upgrade from HD or one from S&S Cycle. As Rhino stated look for the vent tube that will be located on the inner primary up towards the top and to the rear, they can be hard to see but run your hand along that area and you should feel it. As far as the oil migration from the transmission into the primary, if your bike has the vent then don't worry about oil transfer. You can get some oil dye from any auto parts store and put maybe a ounce in your transmission, then put about a 1000 miles on the bike. Get a blacklight and look at the primary oil and if it shines with any yellow, if that is the color of your dye then you have oil transfer.

The primary vent to address the oil migration from the transmission into the primary did not become a factory standard until well into the 2019 model year. So unless you (or a previous owner if you bought pre-owned) had the modification done then you do not have the vent. I know mother Harley was 'upgrading' existing models at no charge if in fact they had oil migration . . . but it had to be verified by the dealer. So you had to have everything checked, buttoned up and ridden for 1,000 miles and then re-check to see if migration. Now that your TG is four model years old mother Harley may not do the fix at no charge no matter what. I'd discuss this with your dealer for additional information.

If you look close @ the circled area in the picture you will see the primary vent tube installed

43521bef_5109_4199_9a58_5982f0506b75_3b79e0ff744f0f64dfb69f0d1941eab8f607332f.jpeg

The primary vent to address the oil migration from the transmission into the primary did not become a factory standard until well into the 2019 model year. So unless you (or a previous owner if you bought pre-owned) had the modification done then you do not have the vent. I know mother Harley was 'upgrading' existing models at no charge if in fact they had oil migration . . . but it had to be verified by the dealer. So you had to have everything checked, buttoned up and ridden for 1,000 miles and then re-check to see if migration. Now that your TG is four model years old mother Harley may not do the fix at no charge no matter what. I'd discuss this with your dealer for additional information.

Here is a link to what Jerry is talking about. Note the date of the bulletin, I would check with your dealer to see if your bike is still under this bulletin

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165612-0001.pdf

My 2018 hasn't sump yet knock on wood. As for trannie/transmission I haven't noticed it yet and I check trannie fluid everyday that I ride and it staying full. My tech at the dealer said if I haven't noticed it yet I more than likely won't. He said for some reason it is a hit and miss with the bikes, he also said if it does happen it will be around $300 for kit and install. I know some are here have did it themselves, I can do some stuff but this I'm not sure about, watched videos and it seems easy enough, depends on your comfort zone.

All for now Trampas

When dealer installed my vent they were told by the factory to also replace the crank seal, maybe this is some of the issue. Next time I go to the dealer I will see if they have had a part number change on the crank seal.

Funny , I was told by my dealer that I only should worry about sumping if I modify the M8 motor. I tend to believe it is a hit or miss problem on non modified engines too. I also heard that some of earlier V twins had a sumping issues also.

I had the sumping issue on my '17. Dealer changed out the oil sending unit for the idiot light. Told me that it was impossible for a stock M8 to sump. Happened again and the dealer told me that it was full of oil and to just ride it with a laughing comment about warranty. I did exactly what they said to do. I rode it. Sometimes like I stole it. When they came to pick it up, it wasn't going anywhere under its own power. Got a rebuild under warranty at 48K and three months left on the warranty.:D

Funny , I was told by my dealer that I only should worry about sumping if I modify the M8 motor. I tend to believe it is a hit or miss problem on non modified engines too. I also heard that some of earlier V twins had a sumping issues also.

It seems like the one common denominator is with bikes/trikes that have a hydraulic clutch..

.But Harley will never admit to it… peculiar though Now trikes and bikes don’t come with a hydraulic clutch anymore it’s all cable..🤔

The sumping can happen at any time for a number of reasons, your dealer is wrong in making a blanket statement like that

It is true that many will never have to worry about sumping, it can still happen at any time

Take for example the piston oiling jets have been known to ( with age and mileage) can work loose and cause sumping, as well as poorly machined and not factory checked for ring clearances cylinders

These are only 2 examples of sumping problems, you may not ever see this but it does happen

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png