Question for RoadSmith owners

I can easily open mine single handed... Do it all the time. Was this suppose to be a trick question or sumin...???

NO trick question, Stephen - I'm serious! I have to release the right trunk latch (original) and hold it pulled down while using the left hand to pull the RoadSmith trunk lid open. How do you manage with only one hand?

I twist my knob and then pull the trunk open with the same hand. The new models have a different, better latching system

I think Stephen and I and probably TrikerMike are talking about the newer "better" latching system - no knobs or handles, just uses the right-hand, under top trunk, right saddlebag latch.

I think I'm gonna have to find out how to adjust mine .It sure don't pop open like the link shows.:Shrug:

Sure looks like Steve got it right while you and I are both at the same maladjustment. I believe all the possible adjustments are the in-out, side-to-side type using the male part attached to the trunk lid. And it's going to be trial and error. Mostly error.

Alternative: We take a trip to Houston and meet up with Stephen and buy him dinner. Been wanting to see his paint job anyway. :)

It took me forever just to figure out I needed to shim the inside latching system. Loosen the two bolts at the top, put a flat washer in and then and only then would it lock. That little rounded dome on the locking bar... Aaaaahhh! They just put it there to mess with my head.

It took me forever just to figure out I needed to shim the inside latching system. Loosen the two bolts at the top, put a flat washer in and then and only then would it lock. That little rounded dome on the locking bar... Aaaaahhh! They just put it there to mess with my head.

I think they do,,, :) I have done that to two now, and that fixes it. ThumbUp

I wrote to Roadsmith about the one-handed opening of the trunk. They replied saying they almost have a new one-handed latch ready and asked if they should send me one when available. If any of you are interested - would be worth a request. :pepper::pepper::pepper:

I wrote to Roadsmith about the one-handed opening of the trunk. They replied saying they almost have a new one-handed latch ready and asked if they should send me one when available. If any of you are interested - would be worth a request. :pepper::pepper::pepper:

They already have a one-handed latch ready locking mech, just is way to finicky. But there's always room for easy and correct.

GOOD NEWS! Received the free one-handed opening latch today and installed it.
Works like a charm!
I'm a happy WingSmither!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
52johnson
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png