Dealer says to take off options if I trade in the Freewheeler

Oct 29, 2021
Manahawkin
Dealer says to take off options if I trade in the Freewheeler

I have been talking to dealers about trading in my freewheeler for a Tri-glide, and was told by several dealers the trade in price is for the bike with out any options. In fact I was told by two dealers to take off the options or they will . They feel people want the bikes stripped so they could make the bike their own. I get it, but i feel the bike I have is something someone out there would like and want. Has anyone else been told to take your options off when you trade in your bike ?

I have been talking to dealers about trading in my freewheeler for a Tri-glide, and was told by several dealers the trade in price is for the bike with out any options. In fact I was told by two dealers to take off the options or they will . They feel people want the bikes stripped so they could make the bike their own. I get it, but i feel the bike I have is something someone out there would like and want. Has anyone else been told to take your options off when you trade in your bike ?

Yes, I have. The point they are making is you get nothing in real money for the bling you add. Many people want to do it their way and I guess pay the extra for added bling.

I have never understood this concept

Add Ons

In September I traded in a 2013 Street Bob for a 2021 Freewheeler.

A few days later the bike was listed for sale without the windshield, forward controls, and saddlebags that I had added.

I should have taken the items off and listed them in E-Bay.

Totally up to you of course . . . but why not? Some of the items may very well transfer over to your TG and those that do not could be sold on this forum, eBay, etc. Dealer has told you no more $$ on trade-in for the extras and he will remove them himself. I've had nine new Harleys and some of the stuff on my current ride was on my first on from 1999.

From the dealer perspective the add ons you installed add nothing to the value of the bike for trade in purposes.

You put on a $900 Corbin seat, they don’t care as the bike came new with a seat. You added LED lights, they don’t care as the bike came new with lights, etc.

If you want to try and get you money back out of the add ons then try selling the bike locally as you’ll most likely get a better price than the trade in offer, or put the original items back on and sell what you bought.

I feel for you as I’ve gone this route more than once myself.

Good luck with however you decide to go.

When I bought my current trike, I had the dealer transfer the windscreen, seat, handlebar risers and a bunch of other stuff from my old Goldwing. It gave me the familiar feeling I had become accustom to even though I was on my "new" trike. And I still have a BIG box full of take-offs from previous bikes. Occasionally I rummage through all that stuff and find something useful. My trade-in was valued at no more or no less with my personalized additions. What fit and suited me probably wouldn't fit or suit the next owner..... Jim

Any time I traded a bike I removed most of my add-ons. Some I could reuse, some I sell off. I have parts from my Heritage that are now on my Freewheeler and the tail bag I used on my Sportster fits nicely on the Freewheeler luggage rack.

Bought and sold a lot of HD's in my day. In general the dealer gives you nothing for your add ons. Its just used as a negotiating point. In the last 5 years I no longer deal with tire kickers and dreamers- just dont want them coming around anymore. Nowadays I put my bikes on consignment at the dealer with any accessories I think appropriate. Ive used the rider to rider program and it worked out well. Your biggest weapon is Patience...not desperation to make a deal. Dealers know what hooks to use and the psychology of selling. That works both ways.

Bought and sold a lot of HD's in my day. In general the dealer gives you nothing for your add ons. Its just used as a negotiating point. In the last 5 years I no longer deal with tire kickers and dreamers- just dont want them coming around anymore. Nowadays I put my bikes on consignment at the dealer with any accessories I think appropriate. Ive used the rider to rider program and it worked out well. Your biggest weapon is Patience...not desperation to make a deal. Dealers know what hooks to use and the psychology of selling. That works both ways.

What's the going rate for consignment nowadays? 20%? If so, that's a HUGE chunk of change.

OP could sell the bike himself (getting way over trade in price), then buy the new one....

YMMV

Lon

I bought mine literally minutes after it was traded in. I didn't give them time to take anything off. Lol. It was a good case of the right place, right time. The only comfort mod I made/needed to make was going with the 2+2 wide sweepers to fit me and my size. The Mustang seat is still on it and works great. It also had a few other extras on it that I have left on it because it's things I would've done anyways. For this reason, I always look at private or consignment sales first. Money can be saved in the long run sometimes by the buyer.

The extras on a used bike can make the purchase a good deal if you like what the previous owner installed.

My wife got her 2017 FW with less than 1,500 miles on it in 2018. It had a windshield, airwing luggage rack, windshield bag, sissy bar and passenger backrest. Dealer added the bumper to sweeten the deal for $23,888.

I paid $23,772 for my 2017 FW with 2,100 miles on it. It had the windshield and bag, and a luggage rack.

We put thousands into customizing each to our own style. If we upgrade at a later time much will be switched over.

Same with cars and trucks. If you put bushguards on your truck, liners or a cap, big tires, anything extra will come off as soon as you trade it in. Because of that, I saved the old parts that can be put back on. Most the time it's better to sell private but there's a shortage of used cars, and bikes so it could be a good time to negotiate a higher value for your trade.

I just got a new Side-By Saturday.....So I'm in the process of removing the gun rack, chain saw mounts, 100 pounds of mud and ice from this week end riding....And thats it who ever buys it can have the rest it treated me well over the years, Hopefully it will do the same for the next guy.....

I'd remove the aftermarket heated seat and windscreen and try to sell them myself. The heated grips: I'd have to decide on that. Since I'm not a mechanic and I'd have to have it done and it would depend if the cost to remove them would be worth it, as it is a sunk cost.

I have had luck in both selling bike parts (saddle bags, highway pegs, etc) and bikes. I sold my 04 Sportster last year but before I did, I put new tires on it (the old ones were not going to pass another inspection). Big cost, but then I got my asking price for the bike, which was not what I expected. So it ended up being a wash (with a safe bike).

I used to ride an Indian Chief and I had a heated solo seat for that. When I traded it in I put the stock seat back on and I have tried multiple times to sell the heated seat with no takers (or flakes). So selling the items yourself could take time.

One of the last posts in this thread suggests you may have a heated seat on the bike. If you do I'd be interested in talking with you about buying it. I'm in Reading, PA so you are an easy ride/drive from me.

Well I put the bike on CYCLETRADER yesterday and will try to sell it with what is on there. If it does not sell I will start selling the options, the first thing to go would be the Reckless Fairing second the Mustang seat. Hope the bike sells.

Well I put the bike on CYCLETRADER yesterday and will try to sell it with what is on there. If it does not sell I will start selling the options, the first thing to go would be the Reckless Fairing second the Mustang seat. Hope the bike sells.

Last week My son sold my Rhino that way…within 15 minutes of listing it it was sold $$$..

Keeping the Freewheeler

Well the prices they want to give on a trade in was so low , it was not worth it. Even the ones that offered a little more , by the time they add their charges you got nothing for the trade. So i am keeping it and selling the mustang seat (replaced it with a sunsetter), and sold the the reckless fairing.

Well the prices they want to give on a trade in was so low , it was not worth it. Even the ones that offered a little more , by the time they add their charges you got nothing for the trade. So i am keeping it and selling the mustang seat (replaced it with a sunsetter), and sold the the reckless fairing.

If the Mustang seat is heated I'd be interested in talking with you about it. I'm in Reading, PA so an easy ride away.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png