Sheepskin seat covers

Mykneesbehurtin

1500+ Posts
Apr 27, 2016
Dayton Ohio
Been looking at a better seat for the trike, after 100 miles I get ole numb butt. So I stopped at a local shop that installs gel pads and looking at about $300-350, granted this is half price of a new seat. So those of you that have the sheepskin throw over covers, do they really help on long rides with comfort?

Sheep skins do help. I use one and have for many years. The main comfort they provide is warmer seats in winter and cooler in summer. They do provide a little extra padding but I don't think they can overcome an ill-fitting seat. I have used AirHawks in the past also. They do help with comfort a bit more than sheep skins. Currently I am riding with a rubber pad about 3/8ths thick with a sheep skin over that. Works OK for me..... Jim

Sheep skin covers

As been said those covers do work well another brand that does well are Alaska seat covers. Gel pads do hold heat , something to remember in the summer. Don’t know what seat is on your trike now but I learned many years ago there is No Substitute for a good seat. You don’t want soft you want firm and a backrest if possible. On my last 2 trikes I’ve had Mustang Super Deluxe tour seats. Take about 1,000 miles to break in but all day comfort. Cost with backrest $900, but look at it this way that’s nothing compared to what you already have invested, Might as well be comfortable. Cheers !

We've been using a sheepskin for over 10 years. It is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

I have an air hawk for myself that goes under the sheepskin, and the combo of the two is more comfortable than any custom seat I've ever ridden on.

Mary uses the factory pillion and the sheepskin.

We both are good for 8 hour days of riding with zero issues.

Kevin

I use a sheepskin purchased from Tandy Leather 8 yrs ago. First on my Goldwing and now on the Tri Glide. Works like everyone has already stated. Another advantage with it covered, is not plopping your butt down on a hot seat after it has baked in the sun during stops on the road. Tandy sells them for $70 and various colors.

20211004_171909.jpg

I have all 3 different seat options, air hawk, sheepskin, & beads. I do most of my riding in warm weather. I travel out west most every year & sometimes put on alot of miles in a days ride. For me i alter between the wood beads & air hawk. I have taken the sheepskin with me, but it just didn't work for me. I liked the other two options better, for mileage comfort.

Been looking at a better seat for the trike, after 100 miles I get ole numb butt. So I stopped at a local shop that installs gel pads and looking at about $300-350, granted this is half price of a new seat. So those of you that have the sheepskin throw over covers, do they really help on long rides with comfort?

yes sir they do!

might i suggest alaska leather.

Air Hawk and Sheepskin

We've been using a sheepskin for over 10 years. It is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

I have an air hawk for myself that goes under the sheepskin, and the combo of the two is more comfortable than any custom seat I've ever ridden on.Mary uses the factory pillion and the sheepskin.We both are good for 8 hour days of riding with zero issues.Kevin

I totally agree with Kevin - this is better than any custom seat and I have tried most of them at one time or another.

I also use an Air Hawk covered with an Alaskan Sheepskin.

I can ride all day with no numb butt.

Yes, it sits you up a bit higher but you can compensate for that.

I have a 2018 Tri-Glide with factory seat. The seat is great, but I still would get numb-butt after about 30 miles. I put on a custom fit sheepskin and that helped, now I was up to about 60 miles before the numb-butt set in. Lastly, I bought a gel pad for an office chair off Amazon (it's about 1.5 inches thick), I removed the cover and trimmed the pad to fit the drivers area of the seat, then placed it between the seat and the sheepskin.....

My butt said AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......I can go a couple hundred now with just a small touch of numb-butt.....

YMMV

Lon

The BEST thing I have found for long distance comfort is the H-D Road Zepplin air adjustable seat. When I did the SS1000 I also bought a beaded seat pad just for additional comfort if needed. Sure glad I did, I haven't taken off yet - - except in the winter - the boys would get too damn cold. :D

Millions of cab drivers and truckers can't be wrong. :D

I've had a RZ seat since my 2003 Ultra. Won't sit on anything else, period.

Don't have to worry about taking the sheepskin off when it rains or worry that some sh*thead might steal it.

Anybody have any experience with the custom fit sheepskin seat covers from Hartco Seats International in Crescent City FL?

https://hartcoseats.com/seat-covers-and-accessories/sheepskin-seat-covers/

Tried to call them this morning, but their answering machine recording has not been changed since Christmas!

I bought a Hartco for my ‘97wing and absolutely loved it. When I got my ‘2017 I tried going with the stock seat and after about a month my wife insisted I get another Hartco and I agreed. It’s like riding my couch around all day. Whenever I call the owner answers the phone and is awesome to deal with. Both seats fit perfectly. I would highly recommend this company. I can go on 200 mile rides without an issue.

I went to Walmart (or any seat cushion selling place) and purchased a seat cushion, and just laid it on my stock seat, works like a champ, and it was under $10.00..

I now can ride 100 miles more, and if I need a soft place to sit, I just use my seat cushion for that also..........

Ronnie

2/17/22

Steve, I have the seat from my 16 that was done with Gel & Memory foam over in Ind by Astech Seats. I bought an RZ. If interested let me know.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png