Master Cylinder Failure

RKplus10

300+ Posts
Mar 17, 2018
Waelder, Texas
The rear master cylinder went bad on my 2015 Freewheeler this week. Pedal just dropped to the “bottom of the barrel”. Pumping did nothing and there are no leaks. I stopped and let the pedal “pop” upwards a couple of times while gently tapping on the master cylinder. I got a little bit of pedal, but not much. I took it to a mechanic who checked it out and he says m.c. is bad. I called around and apparently there are none in Texas. On back order but due next week. Strange, but TriGlide 2015 had a recall and they use the same part. Go figure.

Oh yeah, before anyone asks, no it had never been flushed with 18,000 miles. The fluid actually looked good but I guess I learned my lesson.

Last edited:
The rear master cylinder went bad on my 2015 Freewheeler this week.

I’m not aware of the reliability of Harley master cylinders however I don’t think failure is a common issue.

I think it’s highly likely you just happen to have a rare failure.

As far as doing a fluid flush; it’s not a mileage thing it’s a time thing.

Per The owners manual it should be flushed every two years.

This thread reminds me I need to flush the fluid on my Freewheeler as it’s been more than two years since it’s been flushed.

Every two years is what HD recomends. Investing in a brake fluid tester is worthwhile as they are so inexpensive now. I test the brake fluid once per month. Regardless, I flush the brake system every spring and again in the fall. I dont use any of the commercial flushing agents- I think they lead to trouble IMO. Just flush with brake fluid.

Roy, IMO HD created their own bad JUJU on the early models of the Freewheeler

Take a look at how the front brake lines run, look to see where the front brake light switch is.

Running brake lines and master cylinders too close to hot exhaust parts is never a good idea IMO

The brakes when applied cause a rise in fluid temps, now add the extra heat from the exhaust and engine crank case and you will see the need for replacing the brake fluid sooner than waiting for a part failure. JMO

As brake fluid heats up it reaches boiling point and produces gasses

In turn the gas does not like to compress as good as clean fluid, thus forcing you to pump the brakes and or stand on the pedal harder to stop

This causes the piston and seal in the master cylinder to travel further in a probably already scored cylinder, now you are losing pressure also ( you have an internal leak of the primary seal)

The scoring comes from the moisture absorbed in the brake fluid. Now you can easier understand how and why changing fluid and flushing is so important

This is also true of hydraulic clutch components , the only saving grace I see on modern Harley's is the use of better brake line materials ( IE plastics and stainless components) less prone to the moisture content of failing brake fluid

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png