Likes Likes:  9
Thanks Thanks:  1
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: Adding Harley TPMS to Tri-Glide

  1. #21
    Contributing Member
    Gold Club Member
    ROAD DOG's Avatar
    User ID
    1649
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MA,
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cycle7447 View Post
    Road Dog - thanks so much. If this works, I would be happy to try this process. I still have my original wheel and tire - all mounted and in my garage.

    So, do I have to have the exact TMPS that is in that old wheel or, can I simply buy a new one any mount it in one of the trike wheels?

    Some others here say that I would need a special wheel that is equipped to handle TMPS.

    Since my dealer services trikes, I am pretty certain that they can dismount the tire on my trike. Naturally, they can dismount my old bike tire.

    Hopefully I can just buy a new TMPS sensor and take it to some place like Discount tire and have it installed. So, once you had it put in your trike tire, did you have to do anything else and, did the system find it automatically?

    Thanks
    You need to use your old one, out of your two wheel rear wheel you will have to buy a valve stem discount tire should have the valve stem . should be no problem

  2. Love Jugs
  3. #22
    100+ Posts
    User ID
    32900
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Lake Orion, MI, USA
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD DOG View Post
    You need to use your old one, out of your two wheel rear wheel you will have to buy a valve stem discount tire should have the valve stem . should be no problem
    Sounds pretty simple - then I wondered, if this is so simply, they why don't the conversion companies like CSC RoadSmith, MotorTrike install TMPS in the wheels they put on. Better still, why don't they tell you to install the one from your front wheel into the rear wheel of the trike.

    So, I called my discount tire. Asked them is I needed an exact match for TMPS, he said no. Then I asked if he would put a TMPS sensor in my trike rear - he said, we don't work on motorcycles. I followed to say that its a car tire - still he said, they don't work on motorcycles. However, if I just brought him the tire and wheel, he could look at it and take the tire off and mount the TMPS sensor.

    Well, I am at a loss - but, want to be able to ride so will get the work done I need and ride this season. Perhaps when the season is over and the dealer is not busy, I can take the bike to him with the old tire. See if he will make the exchange and put the old sensor in the rear trike tire.

    I don't mind purchasing a new sensor from the Harley dealer if this would work. Do you know if it would? Seems to me it would work. Why would that be any different than replacing the rear tire and sensor if something happened to it.

  4. #23
    100+ Posts
    User ID
    32900
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Lake Orion, MI, USA
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    OK, for giggles, I decided to try something.

    When I start my bike, the tire system comes up saying I need air - OK, I get that - no TPMS on the trike tire. When I press the button, it says the pressure is 36 and low. If I remember, when I was at the dealership, it read as if there was no TMPS there.

    Then I realized - when I am at home I have the old tire in my garage. So, I went over to that, checked the pressure and it read 36. My tire calls for 40 so, I took my little pump and added up to 45PSI in that tire.

    Started the bike - and guess what - there was no indication that I had a low tire pressure. So, I went to the info, pushed the button and it read 45 - just like I had filled the tire.

    Now the tire light is still on but, as I recall, that does not go off until you start to ride. All of this is interesting - lets see where we can go from here

  5. #24
    Contributing Member
    Gold Club Member
    ROAD DOG's Avatar
    User ID
    1649
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MA,
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cycle7447 View Post
    Sounds pretty simple - then I wondered, if this is so simply, they why don't the conversion companies like CSC RoadSmith, MotorTrike install TMPS in the wheels they put on. Better still, why don't they tell you to install the one from your front wheel into the rear wheel of the trike.

    So, I called my discount tire. Asked them is I needed an exact match for TMPS, he said no. Then I asked if he would put a TMPS sensor in my trike rear - he said, we don't work on motorcycles. I followed to say that its a car tire - still he said, they don't work on motorcycles. However, if I just brought him the tire and wheel, he could look at it and take the tire off and mount the TMPS sensor.

    Well, I am at a loss - but, want to be able to ride so will get the work done I need and ride this season. Perhaps when the season is over and the dealer is not busy, I can take the bike to him with the old tire. See if he will make the exchange and put the old sensor in the rear trike tire.

    I don't mind purchasing a new sensor from the Harley dealer if this would work. Do you know if it would? Seems to me it would work. Why would that be any different than replacing the rear tire and sensor if something happened to it.
    You can buy a new one from Harley for a Tri Glide have it installed in your rear wheel then it will have to be programed to your bike, any new tpms for any car truck bus what ever has to be programed to that vehicle

  6. #25
    Contributing Member
    Gold Club Member
    ROAD DOG's Avatar
    User ID
    1649
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MA,
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cycle7447 View Post
    OK, for giggles, I decided to try something.

    When I start my bike, the tire system comes up saying I need air - OK, I get that - no TPMS on the trike tire. When I press the button, it says the pressure is 36 and low. If I remember, when I was at the dealership, it read as if there was no TMPS there.

    Then I realized - when I am at home I have the old tire in my garage. So, I went over to that, checked the pressure and it read 36. My tire calls for 40 so, I took my little pump and added up to 45PSI in that tire.

    Started the bike - and guess what - there was no indication that I had a low tire pressure. So, I went to the info, pushed the button and it read 45 - just like I had filled the tire.

    Now the tire light is still on but, as I recall, that does not go off until you start to ride. All of this is interesting - lets see where we can go from here
    Ok the wheel is in the garage next to the trike you put air in the tire your trike reads that, Put that sensor in your trike tire the trike will read it , Your done .

  7. DKCustoms postbit
  8. #26
    100+ Posts
    User ID
    32900
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Lake Orion, MI, USA
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD DOG View Post
    Ok the wheel is in the garage next to the trike you put air in the tire your trike reads that, Put that sensor in your trike tire the trike will read it , Your done .
    Thanks - the trike is going in for a few things today. Adding XM radio, having a front fender light and trim installed - plus the big one, I have no clutch on a bike with 821 miles.

    Back to the TMPS - I will share what I learned here with my dealer - see if they have a TriGlide TMPS and, "IF" they will install it in my tire.

    Reading a little more about TMPS, sounds like they are also tire size dependent. My trike tire is a 17. So, will have tons of questions for the dealer.

    Again, if this is so easy, why haven't the trike manufacturers simply put TMPS in these wheels

  9. #27
    Contributing Member
    Gold Club Member
    ROAD DOG's Avatar
    User ID
    1649
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MA,
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cycle7447 View Post
    Thanks - the trike is going in for a few things today. Adding XM radio, having a front fender light and trim installed - plus the big one, I have no clutch on a bike with 821 miles.

    Back to the TMPS - I will share what I learned here with my dealer - see if they have a TriGlide TMPS and, "IF" they will install it in my tire.

    Reading a little more about TMPS, sounds like they are also tire size dependent. My trike tire is a 17. So, will have tons of questions for the dealer.

    Again, if this is so easy, why haven't the trike manufacturers simply put TMPS in these wheels
    Whats up with the clutch ? When they trike it they must have pulled the outer primary & inner primary and clutch to change the swing arm ? On the TPMS I checked on a chevy pickup They come with 17',18",20" & 22" wheels it says they all take the same sensor , I checked Ronnies HD on line it said a harley tri glide rear tire sensor was over $200. Man you can buy car sensors for $25.00 . I would take your rear wheel to the harley shop have them remove your sensor go to a independent automotive shop that has a tire machine and have them install it in your trike rear tire if it dont work so you wasted another $ 75.00 . Thats just my Deranged Thinking

  10. #28
    100+ Posts
    User ID
    32900
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Location
    Lake Orion, MI, USA
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD DOG View Post
    Whats up with the clutch ? When they trike it they must have pulled the outer primary & inner primary and clutch to change the swing arm ? On the TPMS I checked on a chevy pickup They come with 17',18",20" & 22" wheels it says they all take the same sensor , I checked Ronnies HD on line it said a harley tri glide rear tire sensor was over $200. Man you can buy car sensors for $25.00 . I would take your rear wheel to the harley shop have them remove your sensor go to a independent automotive shop that has a tire machine and have them install it in your trike rear tire if it dont work so you wasted another $ 75.00 . Thats just my Deranged Thinking
    Thanks for your response about the clutch. I talked to the installer and they said they did not make any clutch adjustments. i know they pulled the primary - had to do that to put the new belts on.

    Installer said he has never had this kind of as problem with the clutch not working after an install - been doing trikes since 2003. So, my dealer has it now and installer says they will pay the price to fix whatever it is.

    Am liking the idea about taking my wheel to the dealership and removing the sensor.

    Thanks guys - you have been a big help. Will let you know more about the clutch when I get the bike back - hopefully tomorrow

    For me - I just want it done right. Have a new bike, like I said 821 miles on it. Couldn't ride last year because of surgery. So, am hopeful that this can be fixed and I will be comfortable with the bike on long trips.

  11. #29
    15000+ Posts
    Tech Contributor
    Gold Club Member
    Jack Klarich's Avatar
    User ID
    24367
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Jax, Fla USA
    Posts
    15,241
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cycle7447 View Post
    Thanks for your response about the clutch. I talked to the installer and they said they did not make any clutch adjustments. i know they pulled the primary - had to do that to put the new belts on.

    Installer said he has never had this kind of as problem with the clutch not working after an install - been doing trikes since 2003. So, my dealer has it now and installer says they will pay the price to fix whatever it is.

    Am liking the idea about taking my wheel to the dealership and removing the sensor.

    Thanks guys - you have been a big help. Will let you know more about the clutch when I get the bike back - hopefully tomorrow

    For me - I just want it done right. Have a new bike, like I said 821 miles on it. Couldn't ride last year because of surgery. So, am hopeful that this can be fixed and I will be comfortable with the bike on long trips.
    Your 21 model has 2 clutch adjustments, the clutch basket ( same as in the past with cable pull clutch) and the new spring assist ( POS IMO) cable adjuster

    They are cheaply made and are going to break, it is just a matter of time

    Here is a link to a very good looking fix

    https://fatbaggers.com/ez-clutch-adjustor-upgrade-kit

    Hopefully it is just an adjustment problem
    Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride"(Sober 35 years)
    Current ride : 2021 FREEWHEELER M8

  12. Love Jugs
  13. #30
    300+ Posts
    User ID
    27897
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Winston Salem ,NC
    Posts
    317
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    Im pretty sure HD dosnt mfg those sensors. If theres a part# or mfg code on it take down to NAPA and see if they can cross reference it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Adding a Tour Pack to a Harley Street Glide Trike
    By ggwtriker in forum Harley Tri Glide
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-05-2020, 07:28 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-16-2019, 01:56 PM
  3. TPMS after trike conversion...
    By wehrme in forum Honda Trikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 03:30 PM
  4. Want to purchase a TPMS. Help needed
    By Scott1 in forum Honda Trikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM
  5. Tpms
    By Gtrike in forum Honda Trikes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •