Factory trike from Honda

May 3, 2015
Loudon, TN, USA
I keep wondering that since I see more Gold Wing trikes on the road than any other kind, why not at least one factory trike from Honda?

I would love a new VTX trike. Yes, it just looks more like a Harley than any other Honda that I have seen. (Blush)

I can't actually confirm this but the story goes that it had to do with the ATC 3 wheeler bikes from years ago. There were quite a few lawsuits against Honda because of people being injured or killed on them. They were said to be a bit unstable. In one of the settlements, it was agreed that Honda would no longer make any of these 3 wheelers and agreed to never produce another 3 wheeler again.

But I think it may be more about that for years, the interest in 3 wheeled road bikes just wasn't there. Most owners were all about 2 wheeled motorcycles. But now that the main enthusiast are getting older, trikes have become more mainstream. However there are already many aftermarket companies already satisfying this need. And there are many choices to choose from. I think Honda just doesn't want to get into trying to design a single general trike that may or may not have the interest needed. I think they just want to concentrate on building bikes and leave the customization to others. Years ago Harley did produce 3 wheeled utility bikes that some police departments adapted for a variety of uses but I haven't seen one of those for decades. In 2009, Harley began offering the factory built triglide but I don't think any other motorcycle manufacturer followed suit so theirs is the only choice for factory produced trikes.

I can't actually confirm this but the story goes that it had to do with the ATC 3 wheeler bikes from years ago. There were quite a few lawsuits against Honda because of people being injured or killed on them. They were said to be a bit unstable. In one of the settlements, it was agreed that Honda would no longer make any of these 3 wheelers and agreed to never produce another 3 wheeler again.

I had read this several years ago also… much to my disappointment.

But I think it may be more about that for years, the interest in 3 wheeled road bikes just wasn't there. Most owners were all about 2 wheeled motorcycles. But now that the main enthusiast are getting older, trikes have become more mainstream. However there are already many aftermarket companies already satisfying this need. And there are many choices to choose from. I think Honda just doesn't want to get into trying to design a single general trike that may or may not have the interest needed. I think they just want to concentrate on building bikes and leave the customization to others. Years ago Harley did produce 3 wheeled utility bikes that some police departments adapted for a variety of uses but I haven't seen one of those for decades. In 2009, Harley began offering the factory built triglide but I don't think any other motorcycle manufacturer followed suit so theirs is the only choice for factory produced trikes.[/QUOTE

But one would think that maybe Honda could invest in a partnership or totally take ownership of one of the third party vendors, keeping the name of the vendor, and selling the base bike to them as like a giant fleet company and then they could market the Goldwing based trike 'with their blessing'. Just thinking out loud.

I think most of the ground up new development dollars are going to be going into electric unfortunately.With so many European countries and some states mandating the end of gas engines fairly soon they have more pressing things at the moment.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png