Brake conversion

Hello. Haven't been here for awhile!

I have a 2009 RSV with a Tri-Wing conversion kit. Only have 32,000 km's on it.

I had the rear drums replaced with a mustang drum/disc conversion kit last spring .Axle seal went and soaked the shoes, so figured I would upgrade the brakes while at it. Have had a couple of close calls with cars pulling out in front of me! Had to use wheel spacers to clear the calipers, but made the trike look even better from behind!

My problem is I have little pedal, and not much stopping power. It will hold on a hill or at a stop sign, but have to use the front's to stop. Got frustrated and gave up but now would like them correct for this summer's ride. We bled and bled them with a vacuum bleeder(?) and mechanic felt there is no air. His "guess" was the master cylinder might be too small. Worked fine with the drums. I looked at using a seperate master for each wheel, but no room.

Is it possible to get a larger master cylinder?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Dean

All conversions use the stock master cyl. and several are using VW calipers.I doubt Master size is the problem.The calipers are installed with the bleeders at the top.

Master cylinder for drum brakes have a 10psi residual check valve that needs to be removed for disc brakes. You can install 2psi inline check valves to help with the pedal. I also suspect there is still air in the system

900 diversion trike

my husband is making a trike for his friend who has a disability, he cant use the foot pedal so he has installed K Lever its a dual system for the breaks, he is using drum breaks and he has a servo as well, the problem is he cant gets breaks to work on the back, the front is fine . do you think the K Levers are fit to push drum breaks, we have already tried disc breaks as well and they made no difference anyone can help it would be welcome, husband at wits end

SCT_HCP_HCKL2-22H-6T.jpg

my husband is making a trike for his friend who has a disability, he cant use the foot pedal so he has installed K Lever its a dual system for the breaks, he is using drum breaks and he has a servo as well, the problem is he cant gets breaks to work on the back, the front is fine . do you think the K Levers are fit to push drum breaks, we have already tried disc breaks as well and they made no difference anyone can help it would be welcome, husband at wits end

View attachment 114238

Welcome to Trike Talk..👍👍… I can’t help, but somebody will chime in soon with some ideas..

View attachment 114238

I don't see a problem with it.Its enough to work the fronts and on most bikes thats 2 calipers.Some of these things can be a pain but I would go back to basics.Are the bleeders to the top,gravity bleed,final bleed.If your getting fluid through everything try tieing the lever back overnight.

I had trouble with the rear brakes on my Champion conversion on my Road Star. The master cyl. was designed for one rear caliper but the trike has 2 calipers. I ended up replacing it with a bigger bore cylinder that I found on E bay. That was 10 years ago, so have no idea what it was designed for. It had a 3/4" bore. Stock was 5/8.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miketharp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png