Exhaust Clamps

Bouncer

50+ Posts
May 16, 2021
Milwaukee, Wi, USA
Hi,

I installed a set of CVO mufflers on my 2017 Tri Glide.

The stock mufflers slid off quite easy after loosening the clamps.

I used the old clamps to install the new mufflers. They seamed to tighten up nicely

and I couldn't move the mufflers.

A few hundred miles later, one muffler is further out then the other and turned slightly inwards.

Clamps are still as tight as you can get them.

What gives ? Are there better aftermarket exhaust clamps I can use ?

Hi,

I installed a set of CVO mufflers on my 2017 Tri Glide

I used the old clamps to install the new mufflers. They seamed to tighten up nicely

A few hundred miles later, one muffler is further out then the other and turned slightly inwards.

I have had the same issue with my 17, so you can put new clamps on or do what I did. Jack the trike up and drill and tap a 10-32 hole thru the clamp, muffler and pipe. Then using a Stainless Steel socket head bolt and red loctite I installed the bolt and let it set for 24 hrs, problem solved.

Jeff, this seems to be an issue I have seen others have. Steve's solution is a workable way to fix it. Another is to make shims from an aluminum soda can to fit between the pipe and muffler.

Make sure you are placing the clamps to squeeze the muffler where the slits are at the end of the muffler and not back too far where the muffler is solid. Also try tightening them up when they are hot. When they cool they will be tighter. And use new clamps.

Last edited:
The service manual recommends new clamps. I have gotten away with using the old ones once in a while. However, I have had a muffler slide out when reusing the clamp.

They stretch when torquing and you cannot return them to the original size. Even when you re-torque them at a little higher torque value they do not seem to hold as well as new clamps.

They are not expensive and I keep a couple in my tool box should I need to remove a muffler.

The best is to use a new clamp, but the piece in the center of the clamp ( wedge) is why they do not re torque good

I have taken that piece out and ground off just a bit of the wedge, they tighten back down good once again, until they are removed again

Torka clamp

tas_v1-1.jpg

Hi,

I installed a set of CVO mufflers on my 2017 Tri Glide.

I remember a post awhile back about one guy's problem with one muffler sliding back, he kept tightening and still did it, if I remember right they was Cobra 909's and the slits on the muffler weren't very long compared to what he took off. He tried new clamps and the same thing, he ended up putting on muffler u shape clamps from a car and tighten the hell out of it and never had a problem again, it fixed his anyway, he was thinking out of the box for sure.

Or you could use the system that mykneesbeenhurtin and try that, the car muffler clamp would be the easiest to do IMHO, let us know what you find to help you as others may or could use this when changing mufflers

All for now Trampas

Yes, it says right in the manual that those clamps are one use only.

Problem is that even those clamps can be hard to get due to supply chain issues.

Last time I tried to get some, I could not find any distributors that had them, nor any local shops.

We used to carry some quality clamps, at a good price, but have removed them from our website due to not being able to get a regular supply of them.

When using them a second time, even if they don't move, you could still end up with a small exhaust leak at that joint.

Kevin

I’ve got this problem with my 2021 with Khrome Werks mufflers, but only the right side. The mufflers come loose three times. Tried a new clamp and it only made it 300 miles . Think I might have to make some shim to go in there. I ride hard and fast even on the Tri and don’t need the damn pipe falling off. Almost time to start looking for the best headers as warranty ends next March and I want to get rid of the cat and cool this thing down some more

I’ve got this problem with my 2021 with Khrome Werks mufflers, but only the right side. The mufflers come loose three times. Tried a new clamp and it only made it 300 miles . Think I might have to make some shim to go in there. I ride hard and fast even on the Tri and don’t need the damn pipe falling off. Almost time to start looking for the best headers as warranty ends next March and I want to get rid of the cat and cool this thing down some more

I like the Fuelmoto ones.

As someone previously stated, sometimes the compression slots in the muffler aren't long enough to do the job especially on aftermarket mufflers. I've taken a hacksaw and made the slots half an inch longer and it took care of the problem immediately. That allows the muffler to clamp around the pipe tighter. At least it took care of the problem for me.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png