Comfort ??

Douglas44

100+ Posts
Apr 2, 2019
Lewisville
Hi all,

I am very interested in buying a previously loved Free Wheeler, but the one I rode was very harsh. I'm talking so harsh that I thought something must be broken. The steering was also very hard.

I talked with the sales guy and he said they are all like that ??

Can this be true ??

I have ridden a couple of Goldwing conversions and they were so different from the HD it was amazing. I do not care for all that infotainment stuff . So that's what I like about the look of the free Wheeler.

What do you folks do to make your stock Free Wheeler more comfortable ??

Thanks for any helpful replies,

Doug

Hi all,

I am very interested in buying a previously loved Free Wheeler, but the one I rode was very harsh. I'm talking so harsh that I thought something must be broken. The steering was also very hard.

I talked with the sales guy and he said they are all like that ??

Can this be true ??

I have ridden a couple of Goldwing conversions and they were so different from the HD it was amazing. I do not care for all that infotainment stuff . So that's what I like about the look of the free Wheeler.

What do you folks do to make your stock Free Wheeler more comfortable ??

Thanks for any helpful replies,

Doug

Comfort is a relative term you can make a Freewheeler a little more comfortable but it’s never going to ride as comfortable as a Goldwing..🤔..

Doug, the first things that come to mind are air pressure in your tires and shocks. Lift brackets also help with harshness by changing shock angle and also ease the steering effort. The stock seat also leaves a lot to be desired.

Adjust the air in tires to around 22-23 psi. Then check settings on the shocks if they are air. I don't remember what they are as I always replace the cheap air shocks with Pro Action. coil over. Dealers always pump way too much air in both places. Hope this helps.

Comfort

Seats, handlebar adjustment, rear shock adjustment, and tire pressure are all factors in how it will ride and handle

Jack hit it right on the nail, only thing I would add is Peg Boards and floorboard extenisons.

Funny thing is when I went to a trike I was looking at Tri -Glides to me the FreeWheeler rides

much better.

Attachments

• 20210508_114841 (1).jpg
    20210508_114841 (1).jpg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210508_114903 (1).jpg
    20210508_114903 (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
What year is it? If it is an 18 or earlier it has air shocks which are terrible and can be changed out. 2019 and newer units have a much Improved suspension.

Thanks for the info and tips.

I gave up riding on two wheels and bought a Mustang cabriolet .Hoping that would be a replacement, it's a nice car. But it's not the same as riding by a long shot .

I like the looks of the Free Wheeler , kind of like my old Road King. But like everything HD , the get in ain't cheap, and the bling that follows ain't pocket change.

Wife say's she thinks I should give it up . All of the guys I rode with have aged out .But riding is /was my only hobby .

Gotta think this one over before I spend all that money.

Thanks for the info and tips.

Wife say's she thinks I should give it up . All of the guys I rode with have aged out .But riding is /was my only hobby .

Gotta think this one over before I spend all that money.

Cant take it with ya. Guess I'm lucky , wife likes to ride as much as I do. We switched to a Tri in 2016 and now at 77 glad I did. we will ride till , forever. We put 47k on that trike in 3 summers. So we got a new one in 2020 & we are still going strong. Best wishes & stay in the wind.

Seat suggestions?

I know everyone has said that all touring seats will fit the Freewheeler. Can anyone be more specific? What HD models' seat would fit. I am looking for a wider pillion as well. Not for passenger, but to hold my luggage more stable than the stock seat. Long distances and long days are my thing.

I have had Corbin solo seats in the past and loved them, but it was a completely different seating position. Curious if anyone has a Corbin on their FLRT and how it sits and rides. I'm also considering a Saddlemen Road Sofa, but not sure which version will fit correctly.

Any input would be appreciated.

I know everyone has said that all touring seats will fit the Freewheeler. Can anyone be more specific? What HD models' seat would fit. I am looking for a wider pillion as well. Not for passenger, but to hold my luggage more stable than the stock seat. Long distances and long days are my thing.

I have had Corbin solo seats in the past and loved them, but it was a completely different seating position. Curious if anyone has a Corbin on their FLRT and how it sits and rides. I'm also considering a Saddlemen Road Sofa, but not sure which version will fit correctly.

Any input would be appreciated.

Most Harley dealers have a wall of demo seats 💺 that you can try out before you buy..

Seat recomendations

I appreciate the advice, but was not looking for an OEM seat. More interested in aftermarket. I often do 500 to 800 mile stretches and am looking for support.

Like you I am also looking for that wide seat comfort and also a fan of Corbin's.

I've settled on their HD-FW-DT-E heated seat and will be ordering shortly.

A bit expensive but you get what you pay for.

Like you I am also looking for that wide seat comfort and also a fan of Corbin's.

I've settled on their HD-FW-DT-E heated seat and will be ordering shortly.

A bit expensive but you get what you pay for.

Think that is the route I am also going with. Going to call them today and inquire regarding the spring pod option. I want the driver backrest to fold down for ease of mounting. Now the hard part is picking stitching in burgundy or medium silver. Want my stilleto red Freewheeler to shine on it's own and not have the seat detract from it.

Has anyone changed out the front end for an EZ Steer ??

. That's where they change the fork angle at the triple tree.

Many of the Goldwing trike owners do it and the feel is almost like power steering in a car.

Thanks for all the replies

Doug

Has anyone changed out the front end for an EZ Steer ??

. That's where they change the fork angle at the triple tree.

Many of the Goldwing trike owners do it and the feel is almost like power steering in a car.

Thanks for all the replies

Doug

PosseRider has.If he sees this he'll respond or he has made several comments about it.A search should bring it up.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png