Exhaust heat wrap?

Apr 18, 2011
Penngrove Ca
I have a thunder header on my FXR trike and need to do something about my exhaust. I'm thinking about wrapping the exhaust in heat wrap because I cannot feel my legs. But my question is, with the exhaust wrap on there, while the trike is running, if my leg were to lay on the pipe would it still burn my leg?

Here's some info for your consideration, but please remember that these folks are in the business of selling Heat Wrap. (Chose these links randomly and not trying to single 'em out or "pick" on 'em). There's claims of reducing radiant heat by up to 60%, increased performance, etc.

I've heard that Heat Wrap actually makes the engine run hotter, but I'm certainly no expert and could be wrong, just sharing what I've heard elsewhere. It's also my belief that the "style" of Heat Wrap began more to cover blemishes on motorcycle exhaust pipes......blueing, dents, rust, etc. and has no useful purpose beyond the cosmetics. If I'm wrong, then I apologize up front.

Seems that the best thing to do would be to find someone who actually has wrapped their pipes and ask them if it prevents them from getting burned. Now that you've raised the question, I'm probably going to do just that next time I see a bike with wrapped pipes :yes:

Heatshield Armor exhaust heat shield | Heatshield Products

Heatshield Products

Heatshield Products

Some very cool drag bike pics here and an amazing shortage of wrapped pipes, so I'm skeptical of the performance claims of wrapped pipes. But your concern is the reduction of radiant heat, which again, might be quickly answered if you ask someone who has them on their bike/trike........

drag bike pics - Bing Images

I just talked to a friend who just put some on his FXR and he did say it helps cut down on the raidant heat. I still might want to put something else around the inside of my lower leg just incase...maybe a small piece of leather or something?

Speaking of Harley heat, one of my most memorable rides ever was a few years back when a couple of us (two husbands with our wives) rented Harleys to tour Oahu, Hawaii. Not only do I remember the great scenery and awesome nature, but I also very well remember being stuck in traffic in Honolulu with the hot fresh asphalt underfoot and the Harleys idling whilst getting our private parts hotter and hotter and hotter. It surely baked up more than a suntan that evening!

I can also recall (and this gives away my age somewhat) my first old panhead Harley. On a warm night after a long ride we could literally see the rear piston moving inside the red-hot rear cylinder. I had many a blistered leg (still carry a scar on the inside of my right leg now) from the up swept pipes as well as a permanently injured right knee from kick-starting the beast.

Ahh, but I stray. What was the subject again? (I plead Alzheimers).

Really enjoyed this thread......"zoood" could probably expand his customer base if he chose to by offering Heat Deflectors for the Sportster models. Sitting at a light, it's not the headers so much, but the oil bag resting under the thigh gets so hot it feels like my jeans are going to ignite :AGGHH:

Really enjoyed this thread......"zoood" could probably expand his customer base if he chose to by offering Heat Deflectors for the Sportster models. Sitting at a light, it's not the headers so much, but the oil bag resting under the thigh gets so hot it feels like my jeans are going to ignite :AGGHH:

I have already thought on what I could do for the sportsters. Unfortunately,... I cant help at this time with the heat that the oil tank gives off. The heat that comes back from the engine, contacts the oil tank and adds to the hot oil heat already happening. If I was to make deflectors. They would only shield you from the heat that the engine produces. From what comes off that rear head. The rear head is the culprit or main heat source. On the older style sportsters. The oil filler cap. That design in it's self is just like a meat thermometer. I had riders ask about how to cover that. The simplest remedy would be to get a circle cut piece of vinyl and drape/wrap it over the filler cap and secure it with a hair tie or tie wrap.

On the newer style sportsters. The oil cap is flush with the rest of the tank and there's nothing I can do about that at this moment in time. You just have to sit bow legged. Next month I plan on renting a new sportster for 3 days. Just so I can design heat deflectors for them. I also want to design them to cover up that fugly fish netting they use to hold the wires at the base of the tank. When I get the sportster here. It is then that I will be able to see first hand what I can do. I wouldnt have even said anything in here. Its just that a fellow rider mentioned this post to me. But rest assured. I had been planning on a design for the new sportsters.

zoood

Ol Gray, I noticed that your in Tucson. The Tucson police department's motor-brigade has my product on all their police bikes.

zoood

I have already thought on what I could do for the sportsters. Unfortunately,... I cant help at this time with the heat that the oil tank gives off. The heat that comes back from the engine, contacts the oil tank and adds to the hot oil heat already happening. If I was to make deflectors. They would only shield you from the heat that the engine produces. From what comes off that rear head. The rear head is the culprit or main heat source. On the older style sportsters. The oil filler cap. That design in it's self is just like a meat thermometer. I had riders ask about how to cover that. The simplest remedy would be to get a circle cut piece of vinyl and drape/wrap it over the filler cap and secure it with a hair tie or tie wrap.

On the newer style sportsters. The oil cap is flush with the rest of the tank and there's nothing I can do about that at this moment in time. You just have to sit bow legged. Next month I plan on renting a new sportster for 3 days. Just so I can design heat deflectors for them. I also want to design them to cover up that fugly fish netting they use to hold the wires at the base of the tank. When I get the sportster here. It is then that I will be able to see first hand what I can do. I wouldnt have even said anything in here. Its just that a fellow rider mentioned this post to me. But rest assured. I had been planning on a design for the new sportsters.

zoood

Excellent and thanx very much for taking the time to offer your thoughts here, zoood........I've got an older model with the oil filler cap (not flush mounted) and have been thinking about fabbing up something similar to what you've described. A cut-out for placing over the oil filler cap and then draping a heat resistant cover over the oil bag, securing wherever it works best........I'm sure you'll get your design done and they should sell well as I've heard other Sporty owners mention the same problem. Thanx again, Good Luck and Ride Safe.......

Ol Gray, I noticed that your in Tucson. The Tucson police department's motor-brigade has my product on all their police bikes.

zoood

Definitely a feather in your cap and that's pretty cool. Will have to see if I can check that out........from a distance :D........Not sure how it is in other states, but if one gets pulled over by a motorcycle cop here, there's always a ticket involved, no warning options available. As mentioned, will try to check it out "from a distance", LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png