I wonder if I install a vent in my windshield if it would stop the buffeting

Oct 29, 2021
Manahawkin
I wonder if I install a vent in my windshield if it would stop the buffeting

I was reading that someone installed a vent in their windshield to help with the negative pressure caused by the windshield.

The bike has a lot of buffeting and I tried a tank lift, and DK wings with no luck. What do you guys think?

After experimenting with the (many) adjustments available on my Memphis Shades Batwing fairing and windshield I've eliminated pretty much all direct wind on my upper body and head. I don't mean to say it's like being inside a car, I can still feel a breeze on my face, but not an annoying blast of air that knocks my glasses all over the place and wears me out after a couple of hours as before. I found I had to adjust the fairing 3/4 of the way forward which tightens the gap at the headlight and raises the windshield. Tried the 5" shield, but still got too much buffeting. The 9" shield was way to tall. The 7" was just right. Sounds like Goldilocks. :) Is there possibly any adjustments on your setup that could change the wind flow?

G-21 Freewheeler-035.jpg

I had a fairing and did not like it , the view was not good for me ( too short for it) ?.

I had another bike before this and it had a vent in it and never felt buffeting . The buffeting was so bad it is making me not wanting to ride the bike.

The air is coming up from where the lower windshield and turn signal lights are and the air from the top of the windshield is about 6 inches from the top of my head.

The vent is only about $27 and I am not afraid to cut the windshield . This is my last option ,the ride is not fun when your head is going back and forth and seeing double.

I have the fork wings , but, it is getting too warm to put them on .

I have a Cee-Bailey Windscreen on my trike. It has a permanent nacelle opening. (It is always open). I do not experience much wind buffeting at all. And the odd times I have ridden in the rain were no problem. Lots more water coming over and around the screen than through the vent. Reducing the negative air pressure in the riders' bubble helps a lot..... Jim

I had a fairing and did not like it , the view was not good for me ( too short for it) ?.

I had another bike before this and it had a vent in it and never felt buffeting . The buffeting was so bad it is making me not wanting to ride the bike.

The air is coming up from where the lower windshield and turn signal lights are and the air from the top of the windshield is about 6 inches from the top of my head.

The vent is only about $27 and I am not afraid to cut the windshield . This is my last option ,the ride is not fun when your head is going back and forth and seeing double.

I know this sounds to easy… Have you tried a different helmet for local rides I only use a half helmet if I get on the highway with that helmet the the wind try’s lift it up! With my full face helmets (modular ) no problems…

I know this sounds to easy… Have you tried a different helmet for local rides I only use a half helmet if I get on the highway with that helmet the the wind try’s lift it up! With my full face helmets (modular ) no problems…

My experience is EXACTLY the same as yours, Bob. Half helmet, even without the visor, nasty buffeting. Full face modular, all is fine. Problem for me is I prefer the half helmet when the weather is nice.

I’m in the process this week in adding Fork Fangs along with a set of Love Jug plus the Harley CoolFan. Details of my my journey to minimize or eliminate the buffeting are in a separate post (After 48 years on two wheels…) if interested in keeping up on my trials.

Could you reply with a picture of your setup? It may help work out the problem.

Sorry for the avatar I can get it correct with that picture . (darn windows 10)
I do wear a full helmet . So this is the plan I have. I am going to cut in a vent.
IMG_0977.jpg

2A99137B-D7A6-4E34-B382-8FDB09635A34.jpg61217D16-78C6-406D-9579-543373AC1089.jpg
I was reading that someone installed a vent in their windshield to help with the negative pressure caused by the windshield.

The bike has a lot of buffeting and I tried a tank lift, and DK wings with no luck. What do you guys think?

I just put these, JESCustoms wind deflector’s on my 16 Freewheeler and boy do they work as advertised. Best $122 bucks I’ve spent on this bike. I had just bought the 20” windshield, not much help. At 70+mph almost blinded by buffeting. Thought maybe go back to half helmet. Nope, didn’t help at all. I had eve bought a small wind deflector that clamps to the top of the 16” windshield. Wow, did that thing suck. But, really, these work almost a good as when I rode my Different FLHT’s with fangs, side deflector’s and short windscreen. Hope this might help.

Jack B.

f6455c60-8207-48fe-a581-0c5c7314d50c

ee058cdd-1d32-47e2-a3c6-82ee5edc1d46

Last edited:
I was reading that someone installed a vent in their windshield to help with the negative pressure caused by the windshield.The bike has a lot of buffeting and I tried a tank lift, and DK wings with no luck. What do you guys think?

I’m kind of surprised that you put on the tank lift and DK wings before trying the fangs.

Unless I’m mistaken the fangs are the most often reported fix for buffering issues.

I’d try the fangs before I cut the windshield.

Yes the Jes fangs are the only thing that made a significant improvement in buffeting for me, great product.

I don’t seem to have much if any buffering on my Freewheeler but I do have a Klockwerks 20” Billboard Flare shield which likely is the reason.

I’ve read a lot of positive reviews on the JES fangs and think they are certainly worth a try if buffering is an issue.

I had a very bad buffering issue on my Heritage and the fangs cured that.

Yes I cut the vent in last weekend and took a ride. It helped a little. I can go 55-60 no problem but, if I go past 60 I get the buffeting. ( I like going around 70 MPH )

On a separate note: When I hold my hand raised next to my shoulders about 4-5 inches from it the wind pushes air on my gloves ( I don't like the gloves tight on my wrists)

. When I move my hand near my shoulder the glove is sucked forward toward the windshield. So I still have some negative pressure to deal with.

Going to install the fork Fangs to see if they work.

Yes I will post pictures in a few days.

RK plus10

It is not about eliminating the wind, it is about redirecting the wind.

This weekend I will be installing the fork fangs, ( still working) with some pictures and report on the redirection on the wind with all the things I will have done .

1.5 tank lift

Tank Wings

removed Fairing installed a windshield

Tilted the windshield back

vent in windshield

fork fangs

The only thing that made a difference was the vent (so far)

The tank wings from (DK) did not seem to help with the buffeting , it may help throw the air toward the motor when installed at a 45 degree angle

The 1.5 tank lift (DK) only make a better view of the speedometer and easy cleaning of the top of the motor (no noticeable difference in the air flow but may help with cooling the motor.

Removing the Fairing and installing a windshield changed the flow of the air a little. I did notice my hands got more wind on them

The vent made a big change to the air. I don't know if it would be better to install it higher (Harley installs it higher then where I did.)

Hopefully the fangs will help the deflect the air getting pushed up from the tank . That is where the air catches my helmet.

I have DK Custom cooling wings and they seem to reduce the wind coming up from the tank area about 60%. I also for the first time this year, ditched my beloved Bell half helmet in favor of a Biker Lids beanie helmet. Bingo! Very little head bobble. Everyone is different and no combination of solutions will work for everybody. Its experimentation that will get you where its comfortable- or at least tolerable.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stumphumper
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png