How old is too old?

If you were close to retirement, say six month, and you were going to purchase a used GW trike, what is the oldest model you would consider? Why?

Would there be a preferred trike kit Year/model? Why?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Eric

If you were close to retirement, say six month, and you were going to purchase a used GW trike, what is the oldest model you would consider? Why?

Eric

Just me mind you’ But after working most of my life…..When I retired I bought new…

Because once I retired I didn’t want to be working on a used bike / trike…🤔..

2006 and newer Goldwings have larger radiators. Older wings had occasional heating problems. I am partial to the CSC trike with IRS. I also like having the aux. fuel capacity. Trikes use more fuel than 2 wheelers and the extra capacity means no one has to wait for me while I need to get fuel. Older CSC trikes had drive line issues. Make sure it has been corrected/updated if you do decide on a CSC trike. Good luck..... Jim

I agree with newer but I would actually say a 2009 and newer especially if you are going to want the navigation option. It's not the latest and greatest navigation system to use but is still capable. The 06-08 is obsolete now and no further factory updates are going to be available. And the most recen 06-08 update had to be spread onto 2 cards because of size limitations that the units would accept.

As far as mpg trikes do use slightly more gas but not obnoxiously so. I have done many group rides and we will all usually "need" fuel at roughly the same time. I had my bike triked and declined the auxiliary fuel tank at the time and haven't really regretted it. So far in the several years that I have had it, there was only one time on a solo road trip where I wished I had it. It was going from Las Vegas, NM down to Tucumcari, NM and then up to Dalhart, TX. When I reached Tucumcari, I still had 1/2 a tank and Dalhart was only about 95 miles further and easily did that amount of miles before. But I didn't count on the strong crosswinds. Or that there wouldn't be any gas stations open along that stretch. I barely made it to a gas station in Dalhart and put almost 6.6 gallons into the tank. But that was the only time on many, many road trips where the aux tank would have given me piece of mind. For me, it wasn't worth the extra cost to add it and I really haven't regretted it. The aux tank is one of those things that get many opinions on both sides like oil threads and tire threads...

But IMHO if you don't go brand new, at least go newer.

And I'm also partial to the California Sidecar Viper conversion if you decide on a pre 2018. I like the wider stance and wheelbase, the styling, and the driveshaft issues had been worked out well before.

I bought the 2019 GW CSC because I wanted to get something in the 2018 up range so far the only thing I don't like is the seat but since it was replaced I have to give some time to break in.

I ride a Roadsmith (2010 G/Wing)

I DO NOT have an axillary fuel tank, and never need it .......... There's a gas station on every corner where I live..........

AND IF I'm riding with a group that get's pissed B-cause I have to stop and get fuel, I'd never ride with them again....

Ronnie

5/10/22

I DO NOT have an axillary fuel tank, and never need it .......... There's a gas station on every corner where I live..........

AND IF I'm riding with a group that get's pissed B-cause I have to stop and get fuel, I'd never ride with them again....

Ronnie

5/10/22

Grump! …….😁

Ronnie

5/10/22

A family that fuels together , stays together :D

Partial to CSC Trike Kits

2009 and newer Goldwings.

We are partial to California Side Car and our 18 Goldwing is waiting to get Triked. Our kit won't be in until September or October.

So we are planning on keeping our 2010 Goldwing CSC until the 18 gets done.

Eric

For me, it was a no-brainer. Only wanted black color, and it had to have DCT transmission. That limited me to the 2019 or 2021 model years. I have just completed 16,000 miles in the first year of ownership of my 2019 Goldwing Roadsmith trike. No complaints except the cost of oil changes and service at my local Honda dealer! I rode Harleys for the past 16 years, so at least I am used to the high cost of dealerships...

If you have the money, buying a new unit with a warrantee does provide peace of mind. However, it does come with a big up-front price tag. Mine was close to $43K by the time I paid taxes, title, accessories, etc. but I have no regrets. My last ride was a 2015 Tri-Glide that I bought new and rode 33K miles in 6 years. That one had a few maintenance headaches over the years, but it was a good ride.

I have seen a few used 2018+ trikes for sale in the mid-$30Ks, which is about $6,000-8,000 off new price. If you don't care about the DCT, there are lots of used trikes out there that are a lot more reasonable, and some don't have a lot of miles on them.

Best of luck in your search for the perfect ride...

Thanks for all the good information!

I really like the CSC aux duel set up but if a used trike did not have it, it would not be a deal breaker. Rarely do I ride with others so stopping as needed for fuel is not a problem.

The Roadsmith trike kits are appealing because they use a good many common auto parts.

I have absorbed quite a bit of info in the short time I have been on this forum.

Again thanks for the info.

Eric

Using auto parts for trikes is very common for many different kits. The aux. fuel tank was not a deal breaker for me either. When I bought my trike used, the deal was made before I realized the extra fuel tank was included. I do a lot of group riding. We usually ride 200-300 miles daily. When it is closer to 200 miles we don't include a fuel stop. On 300 mile days a stop is on the agenda. Many, many times I find that I am filling with 6 or a little more gallons of fuel after a "no fuel stop" ride. That little bit extra fuel gives me some peace of mind. I'm planning a solo 4-6 week tour this summer and knowing that I can comfortably cruise 300+ miles on a tank of fuel is a real bonus for me. But that is just MY riding style.

I think you are doing a good job researching and asking the right questions. Good luck with your search..... Jim

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png