Anyone ever lost a trunk latch?

MB1953

450+ Posts
May 23, 2014
Peru, IN USA
OK, so this one is new for me. Last Sunday, we went for about a 2 hour ride to visit friends. Rode back home later, and when we got home, the trunk lid was open. Had this happen before, but not for several years. I had the trunk latch well adjusted, and don't slam the lid, so I was surprised to see it open. (Never heard the typical clunk you get when the lid opens.) When I tried to close it, it would not stay closed after several attempts, I noticed that the latch pin and locknut were gone! The blue locktite that I used on it must have worked its way loose somehow.

Went to my local dealer, he didn't have one in stock, and neither did any dealerships in the entire state of Indiana. Got one on order from HD parts warehouse, may be here in a week, maybe a month!

I can't believe that I am the first one to have this happen to them:Shrug:

OK, so this one is new for me. Last Sunday, we went for about a 2 hour ride to visit friends. Rode back home later, and when we got home, the trunk lid was open. Had this happen before, but not for several years. I had the trunk latch well adjusted, and don't slam the lid, so I was surprised to see it open. (Never heard the typical clunk you get when the lid opens.) When I tried to close it, it would not stay closed after several attempts, I noticed that the latch pin and locknut were gone! The blue locktite that I used on it must have worked its way loose somehow.

Went to my local dealer, he didn't have one in stock, and neither did any dealerships in the entire state of Indiana. Got one on order from HD parts warehouse, may be here in a week, maybe a month!

I can't believe that I am the first one to have this happen to them:Shrug:

Was it locked? The reason I asked was if it wasn't maybe somebody needed it worse than you.

Yeap, I've had one come loose. Ordered a replacement on-line, lock-tited it in place as you did and it's still there after 7-8 years.

PC

First time I ever heard of the whole latch flying off. I have been really good about keeping a couple drops of Harley lubrication on mine and closing it softly.

Appreciate the post. Packing up for a run to Kentucky at the end of the week so I'll be inspecting my latch now.

Ya know, I'm just knocking on wood here. I've had 4 Tri-Glides over the years. Never had one open up on me. I keep mine locked at all times. When I open my trunk, I insert the key, turn it counter clock wise 1/8th-1/4 turn. I push the button to unlock it. Then I move the key back to the lock position. Remove the key. It open's right up. When I close it, gently push it up and then use the heal of my hand to lock it. Hope this helps.

I never slam my trunk and I keep the mechanism oiled, but lately the lock is starting to get difficult to turn sometimes. So I am looking into the Iron Head lock, it is electric plus it has an emergency pull cable in the event the battery goes dead.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FUpp
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png