Windshield… Look Over or Look Through? Your Preference and Why…

hydraglide

150+ Posts
Dec 5, 2021
Woodridge,Il USA
Windshield… Look Over or Look Through? Your Preference and Why…

Just curious how you all prefer to run your windshields…Look “over” or look “through”?

Maybe add one main reason why you setup the way you do.

For years I ran a look through on my 99’ Ultra, now I’m running a 10” Freedom Shield look over extra wide.

I like the change to look over so far (especially in the rain…I wear glasses and trying to see clearly through three sets of beaded up rain through the windshield, face shield and glasses was a PITA), but I’m open to listening to other opinions.

Maybe both, changing for the season?

Thanks all… I’m listening!

Stock Harley shields are just in my line of sight - can barely look over if I sit up real straight so I either needed taller or shorter. Bought a taller Freedom wide touring style and it was great . . . except for when it wasn't and that is in a heavy rain. Can't look over and too wide to look around. Freedom windshields are the best imo but looking through the wide style just doesn't work well in rain. Now have a shorter Freedom wide touring I can look over and problem solved.

Have a LRS that does shoot stuff over my head . The top is at eye level to look over . Helps in the rain , but my goggles are still needed . No windscreen will work 100% , but all are better than the OEM’s.

Stock Harley shields are just in my line of sight - can barely look over if I sit up real straight so I either needed taller or shorter. Bought a taller Freedom wide touring style and it was great . . . except for when it wasn't and that is in a heavy rain. Can't look over and too wide to look around. Freedom windshields are the best imo but looking through the wide style just doesn't work well in rain. Now have a shorter Freedom wide touring I can look over and problem solved.

I cut the windshield down on my roadking a couple years ago. If done right you never even know it was cut.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I prefer looking through the windshield. I have the 15 inch HD version. I did not like looking over the stock 10 inch windshield. Too much buffering to my head and helmet. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I don’t ride in the rain much but when it does rain hard it is a PITA to look through it’s pretty bad. But like I say I don’t ride in the rain much Anymore[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]When it does rain though you don’t have to worry about cleaning your shield on your helmet if you have one.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I have a flip up shield and sometimes I flip it up to get a better view when it’s rainy heavy and sometimes I flip it down and still don’t have to worry about rain hitting it. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]But like I said I don’t ride in the rain hardly anymore. And I am talking about heavy rain not light rain. Light rain is not an issue it’s the heavy rain that is an issue. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Since I don’t ride in the rain much I prefer looking through the windshield. Like other guy said it’s give-and-take. It depends on your style of riding and weather conditions. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]

I prefer looking through the windshield. I have the 15 inch HD version. I did not like looking over the stock 10 inch windshield. Too much buffering to my head and helmet.

I don’t ride in the rain much but when it does rain hard it is a PITA to look through it’s pretty bad. But like I say I don’t ride in the rain much Anymore

When it does rain though you don’t have to worry about cleaning your shield on your helmet if you have one.

I have a flip up shield and sometimes I flip it up to get a better view when it’s rainy heavy and sometimes I flip it down and still don’t have to worry about rain hitting it.

But like I said I don’t ride in the rain hardly anymore. And I am talking about heavy rain not light rain. Light rain is not an issue it’s the heavy rain that is an issue.

Since I don’t ride in the rain much I prefer looking through the windshield. Like other guy said it’s give-and-take. It depends on your style of riding and weather conditions.

Living in the dry side you probably don’t get much rain anyway….I spent 5 years in the wet side one year!..(Tacoma)..😁..🙄..

Try RainX for PLASTIC ( not glass) on your windshield. About as hard to find as an honest politician around here so I ordered it off fleabay.But most of the time to clean bugs off I use Novus. Spray on let stand for 5 minutes then I use the ol ladies garment steamer ( shhh) to get them buggers off.

Try RainX for PLASTIC ( not glass) on your windshield. About as hard to find as an honest politician around here so I ordered it off fleabay.But most of the time to clean bugs off I use Novus. Spray on let stand for 5 minutes then I use the ol ladies garment steamer ( shhh) to get them buggers off.

Good idea I should try that on my plastic motorcycle windshield. I just used glass rain X on my automobile yesterday and drove over to the west side of the state in total rain and it worked great.

Windshield

I have a 22 Tri Glide Ultra with 10 inch windshield. Prior to that I had a street glide and a Ultra classic all had 10 inche wind shields on them and I have always preferred to look over the windshield.

I used to run a shorty recurve to look over during the warm months and a taller recurve to look thru during the cold months.

The last couple of years I have left the taller on, even during the warm months....because of our summer travels, many times we have found ourselves in the cold, and even in snow storms in the middle of summer.

I do prefer to look over, but I use Rainx and it helps when it is raining. The only times I have to looking around the windshield is when snow builds up on it, or when I am riding directly into the setting sun...that can be near impossible to look thru and see anything useful.

Hear are a few photos on riding in a snowstorm in the middle of summer-

24-kept%20cleaning%20build%20up%20off%20recurve%20windshield.jpg

25-%20camera%20sees%20better%20than%20me.jpg

What the TG looked like after we rode out of the snowstorm-

27-%20headlight%20is%20on.jpg

28-Ice%20everywhere.jpg

Kevin

Ive used the old truckers trick when riding into low angle sun- stop at a diner for an hour and eat. By the time Im done the sun will either have risen or set ( does that twice a day) . I think most accidents happen at those periods anyway due to sun in peoples eyes.

After I wash the bike down and let it dry I spray the windshield with lemon pledge. Next time you wash it those bugs come right off without any effort at all.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trinalee
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png