Opinions…Stage One or Stage Two for my Tri Glide this Winter…

hydraglide

150+ Posts
Dec 5, 2021
Woodridge,Il USA
Opinions…Stage One or Stage Two for my Tri Glide this Winter…

I know it’s still riding season, but I’m already thinking about off season upgrades for my 2021 Tri Glide.

I’d love to hear from fellow Tri Gliders that have installed either Stage One or Stage Two upgrades (or began with a Stage One then added a cam later).

If I go Stage Two I’d like to go with the torque improvement cam profile.

Also, I’m curious as to how much of a sacrifice I might see in gas mileage with either setup.

Stock isn’t bad, however I’ve found I’d like to have better response when I roll on the throttle when passing, merging, etc. No drag racing speed needs for me, those days are long gone.

That said, no worries about a Stage Two taxing my drivetrain.

i want to do this right the first time. Thanks in advance everyone!

I know it’s still riding season, but I’m already thinking about off season upgrades for my 2021 Tri Glide.

I’d love to hear from fellow Tri Gliders that have installed either Stage One or Stage Two upgrades (or began with a Stage One then added a cam later).

If I go Stage Two I’d like to go with the torque improvement cam profile.

Also, I’m curious as to how much of a sacrifice I might see in gas mileage with either setup.

Stock isn’t bad, however I’ve found I’d like to have better response when I roll on the throttle when passing, merging, etc. No drag racing speed needs for me, those days are long gone.

That said, no worries about a Stage Two taxing my drivetrain.

i want to do this right the first time. Thanks in advance everyone!

The most important factor in a good Stage Two is to have an Exceptional Stage One.

A good foundation, as with anything, is important.

Kevin

I did a stage two on my 17 and don't regret it, now with that said I didn't use all HD parts. I used a S&S 465 cam, S&S lifters, SE adjustable pushrods, upgraded HD oil pump, TTS tuner and a Fullsac Sportpipe head pipe. I already had SE Street Cannon mufflers. The S&S cam is their torque cam and it didn't disappoint. I have been putting cams in HD's for a few years so I kind of know what to expect by reading cam specs. I have always said if you are thinking about a cam go ahead and do it, why pay for two separate tunes.

Attachments

• WIN_20210606_06_28_14_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210606_06_28_14_Pro.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 54
SE tuner will keep your HD warranty valid (and the EPA happy)....

An aftermarket tuner can be programmed so it will flow more fuel and produce more power...

Which one you gonna run???

Chuck

Not sure … what are my options? In the “figure it out” stage now. I’m open to all thoughts and suggestions.

And nobody yet has discussed gas mileage effects between Stage One and Two.

I know the effect the Stage Two had on my 99’ Ultra (5 speed trans) was pretty dang significant.

With that 5 gallon tank at highway speeds over 3k on the tach into a headwind, I had to REALLY pay attention to my rapidly dropping fuel gauge :gah:

Had a few close calls!

Ron, last year while camped in Illinois we ran down to Paducah (Four Rivers Harley) and had my Stage I done on my 2019 Trike. It runs a little cooler and with the tune they put on it I picked up about 2mpg. The performance is only slightly better. I realize you are up close to Chicago but Four Rivers does tons of custom engine jobs. I have two buddies that had them do the 128 kits on their trikes in the past couple of years.

Went with a custom auto tune on my Vance and Hines Fuelpak3 and found my mileage dropped from a total projected range of 225 miles to 210 miles. A small sacrifice for the other benefits it produced. Reduced decel pop , cooler running, feels torquier. I m also running V and H power duals , trike mufflers and the DK Customs 606 air cleaner.

For your stage 1 be sure to vent the engine to atmosphere and not back into the air cleaner. That change is very noticeable.

Not sure … what are my options? In the “figure it out” stage now. I’m open to all thoughts and suggestions.

I know the effect the Stage Two had on my 99’ Ultra (5 speed trans) was pretty dang significant.

With that 5 gallon tank at highway speeds over 3k on the tach into a headwind, I had to REALLY pay attention to my rapidly dropping fuel gauge :gah:

Had a few close calls!

A great Stage I will give you better MPG than Stock, because the engine is not fighting against itself, it is running more efficiently.

The video I posted above explains that a bit, and then the video below talks a bit more about it.

Once you have a great Stage I (not a mediocre one) then if you get a torquey cam (Stage II) you should still be getting better mpg than you did in OEM condition.

When a Stage I or Stage II are not getting better MPG than OEM, one, or both, of two things have occurred.

1. It is a run of the mill Stage I that is a bad deal on its' own and is a bad foundation for everything that comes later.

and/or

2. The extra power is being played with...heavier right wrist will always cause a drop in MPG.

I've ridden my 2019 Tri Glide with an exceptional Stage I, along side Chuck who also has a 2019 Tri Glide. His Tri Glide has an exceptional Stage I, then on top of that he went all the way and has a 131 in it.

At every fill up we compared notes and we were always within 1/2 mpg of each other. Our MPG ranged from the low to the high 30's...with most of the tanks coming in around 35 mpg.

Kevin

Had a few close calls!

Unless your building dealer requires an SE, I'd go w a Power Vision. Just my opinion......

I like it's results as a tuner, and I like using the tuner mounted on my handle bars to monitor engine functions (temp).

I didn't go from stage I to stage II, so I can't answer your fuel mileage question.

I went from my stage I to a 131 stage IV. I have had the bike tuned for lower elevations (we moved from Colorado to Kentucky) since riding w Kevin. I now get a bit worse mileage (but a bit more power). I'm averaging 34 on longer trips. It'll dip down in the 32 range, and I've run some tanks around 36-37 when riding "less spirited".

I've got a 1 gallon can that I'll throw in the trunk if most of the ride will be where there's infrequent chances to fill.....

Your 2021 should be 6 gallons......

Your motor will run better after mods if you keep it cool. Tank lift, wings, oil cooler.... All from DK (their stuff works!!!).....

Chuck

Stage II 2018 TriGlide 107

This past winter I installed a Stage I and Stage II. I did all the work myself, in my garage. I have a 2018 107.

There is a noticeable difference in torque. I am very happy with the results, but in all honesty... I really didn't need to go to the stage II. I did it because I could feel the drag when climbing hills or when I needed to pass a big truck on a two lane road.

I used all HD SE products... almost

-DK Customs 606 air cleaner with banjo bolts EBS (you will love it)

-HD Street Cannon mufflers. They are louder and deeper than stock and I think they reverberate off the pavement under the trike and also up through the body. For sure they are louder than stock.

-HD 447 torque cam with new push rods, cam bearing and new lifters

-HD super sucker oil pump (the orange one) and upgraded cam plate (the orange one)

-SE Pro Street Tuner

Total cost for parts is just shy of $3,000 (that includes the Jims Bearing Tool)

Yes, I can feel the difference but it's not overwhelming. Probably because the HD cam is a 447. No heat issues at all. Gas mileage is about the same as stock but I doubt I will ever ride over 200 miles without stopping for gas. I try to hit a station when I get down to 1/2 tank.

ADVICE: don't F with the anti rotation cuffs. Lots of chatter about the S&S cuffs but have you ever heard of a stock cuff breaking? I broke a screw on one of mine and luckily have a friend with a machine shop. He charged me over $200.

I am planning a Canada trip for August and will probably put the stock mufflers on for the trip and run a new tune. Stock pipes are almost straight through, but have some sort of sliding baffle in them.

Good luck. Remember there is lots of experts out there, but you only have to answer to yourself.

Went with a custom auto tune on my Vance and Hines Fuelpak3 and found my mileage dropped from a total projected range of 225 miles to 210 miles. A small sacrifice for the other benefits it produced. Reduced decel pop , cooler running, feels torquier. I m also running V and H power duals , trike mufflers and the DK Customs 606 air cleaner.

For your stage 1 be sure to vent the engine to atmosphere and not back into the air cleaner. That change is very noticeable.

Noticeable in what way? Curious…

Vent to a catch can or? Will this effect the factory warranty?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just trying to learn all I can! :wink:

Noticeable in what way? Curious…

Sorry for all the questions, I’m just trying to learn all I can! :wink:

You can do a sneaky pete poor mans catch can. Just disconnect at the tee and route hose into a pill bottle with a hole in the cap for the hose and a 1/8 hole to let air ecscape. Youll be amazed at the snot thats collected.

Here are some photos of what has come out of catch-cans....putting this into the engine is NOT going to burn and produce power...it is going to reduce power. There's a lot more in the video below on why hot, oily, oxygen depleted air reduces power, and produces tune instability.

Catch-Can_Glop_1.jpg

Catch-Can_glop_2.jpg

Kevin

EVERYTHING you do to a new Harley can impact the warranty......

When considering making changes, it's worth asking "why" you think HD did things the way they did....

Did they do it that way because it makes for a better, longer lasting, motorcycle???

Or did they do it that way because of government regulations (EPA)?????

Things that were done to meet regulations can sometimes be "undone" to actually improve the motorcycle, although it may increase the particulate matter put into the air.....

Some examples are:

- reducing the impact of the catalytic converter (mine fell off)

- venting the crankcase to the atmosphere instead of the throttle body intake (I use a catch can)

- increasing fuel flow via non SE programming (Power Vision)

Chuck

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png