Harley Davidson Warranty/FTC orders

cScjhb

2500+ Posts
May 6, 2020
Mesa, Arid-Zone-A
I just read a very interesting news story about an order issued from the FTC to HD. Harley has been ordered to quit telling customers that using aftermarket parts, independent repair shops & non-HD supplied items causes warranties to be voided. The article went on to say that HD must specifically include in their warranties that 3rd party repairs, parts, & supplies will have no effect on maintaining warranties. Looks like a big win for independent shops and part vendors. I suspect other manufacturers are looking at this and will clean up their act too. Hope so..... Jim

I just read a very interesting news story about an order issued from the FTC to HD. Harley has been ordered to quit telling customers that using aftermarket parts, independent repair shops & non-HD supplied items causes warranties to be voided. The article went on to say that HD must specifically include in their warranties that 3rd party repairs, parts, & supplies will have no effect on maintaining warranties. Looks like a big win for independent shops and part vendors. I suspect other manufacturers are looking at this and will clean up their act too. Hope so..... Jim

Being the devils advocate I don’t think Harley ever said you couldn’t use aftermarket parts what does say is you can’t use parts that modify their engines transmissions or drive trains to their deferment. .

hypothetically speaking you sell your Triglide to your neighbor it’s 100% stock runs perfect and you guarantee it ! Then a month later the neighbor comes back and says the transmission burnt out you look at it and you see he put a mechanical reverse in the transmission are you still gonna pay for a new transmission for your neighbor …??

Being the devils advocate I don’t think Harley ever said you couldn’t use aftermarket parts what does say is you can’t use parts that modify their engines transmissions or drive trains to their deferment. .

hypothetically speaking you sell your Triglide to your neighbor it’s 100% stock runs perfect and you guarantee it ! Then a month later the neighbor comes back and says the transmission burnt out you look at it and you see he put a mechanical reverse in the transmission are you still gonna pay for a new transmission for your neighbor …??

It no longer matters what Harley says, they have 30 days to fight back

Other wise this deal along with the Magnuson Moss warranty act will take the bark out of H D and there non sense of not warranty said parts

What this ruling does is open the market back up to aftermarket parts, service and repair while a bike is still under warranty. The fact that they put the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, Warranty Act, FTC Act and Right to Repair all together means, HD is now going to have to prove that an aftermarket replacement part caused a failure that voids the warranty. They can no longer stop people from using them or having an independent shop do work and just void a warranty or just say it void, they have to prove it! With a fine of $46,517 per violation they will quickly change the way they operate

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFW
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png