Tri Glide Trailer wiring

Aug 19, 2009
Cleveland, OHIO
I have not seen much on correctly wiring for a trailer. I have wired most other vehicles for trailers with no problems. I hear that caution must be taken on wiring for a trailer with the late model Harleys due to computer problems and electrical loads associated:beerchug: with lighting circuits.
Any feedback from others please chime in.

Thanks in advance.:beerchug:

I think if you completely have LED lights in the trailer....it will not affect anything. LED's draw next to nill current and do not place a large added load.

I admit that I do not have a TG, but I do have a kitted Ultra Classic. I have all LED lights in my trailer and have never noticed a thing out of the ordinary with signals, brake, or any other light functions.

Harley beaks-out a 5th. lead as an independent brake-light lead. If you want to convert to a normal 4-wire system, or that is how your trailer is now wired, you will need a converter. There are some plug-n-play harness's out there that are pretty simple to install in existing connectors and you won't have to butcher any wiring.

I wired my trailer to match the HD 5-wire system, because I don't like to add trinkets, gizmo's, or anything else that may cause a problem. You can easily use your same trailer on a standard 4-wire automobile system. Just wire the brake light lead from the trailer to the male (bare exposed) socket on the harness. All the 4-wire system does is flash the brake lights to create blinkers and your trailer brake lights will then become your blinkers also. A 5-way flat plug will fit into a 4-way flat automobile plug with the bare (male) brake light prong sticking over the 4-way. I wanted to be able to connect my trailer to any of my other vehicles and this is how I did it.

Many imported cars and new vehicles are now going to the 5-wire system anyway.

I am sure this was a lot more information that you were looking for....hope it helps.

I have not seen much on correctly wiring for a trailer. I have wired most other vehicles for trailers with no problems. I hear that caution must be taken on wiring for a trailer with the late model Harleys due to computer problems and electrical loads associated:beerchug: with lighting circuits.
Any feedback from others please chime in.

Thanks in advance.:beerchug:
I used the plug and play wire harness that came with the hitch. Takes the load away from the factory wiring electronics/harness. Along with the load equalizer for the LED lights I installed. The turn signals go crazy if the equalizer is not added and possible the security system.

Not to be argumentative....just asking, or suggesting, but I believe if you leave the lights on your trike stock (incandescent) alone....you would be fine without the equalizer, if you run all LED's on the trailer....at least I know that I am and I guess me is the only one I can vouch for.

But....it seems so darn easy just to go with the plug-n-play if you have the money and especially if it came with your hitch. I will definitely agree the equalizer will be necessary if you replace enough stock lamps with LED's.

Not to be argumentative....just asking, or suggesting, but I believe if you leave the lights on your trike stock (incandescent) alone....you would be fine without the equalizer, if you run all LED's on the trailer....at least I know that I am and I guess me is the only one I can vouch for.

But....it seems so darn easy just to go with the plug-n-play if you have the money and especially if it came with your hitch. I will definitely agree the equalizer will be necessary if you replace enough stock lamps with LED's.
All it took was one LED light and the turn siganls went crazy.(flashing Fast). On mt TRI glide
That is what I had to do. especially if you go with the Badass Tail Lights LEDs. I even had issues with the trailer installing one LED bulb it would not flash at all. So I guess certain bikes you may need a equalizer others may not from what I hear.

Yea Plug and play is the way to go just may sure all pulgs are before the TRIGlide rear converter not after or there will be issues with the lights not working correctly.

Thanks for ALL the great input. I was checking the other HD websites, and others have issues with the wiring and lights too. The plug and play is the way to go. I'm going to try the Kuryakn (sp?) brand, from what I heard it works well for my wiring situation.

I'll do a follow up when I complete my hitch fabrication and wiring.

Bill
Brook Park, OH:beerchug:

Good deal. Maybe the early Ultra's are a little "forgiving" in the area of lighting-signal controls and my trike has all the stock lighting. Maybe if I had converted any of them to LED..I'd have had the same problem. Since my wiring was already fanned-out on a terminal strip just under the trunk, it was easy to get to and simply install the pigtail. The plug-n-play obviously would be the best way to go on the TG.

I installed the plug and play harness which came with my hitch on my 2010 Triglide, no load equalizer or other bells and whistles. My Aluma trailer has LED lights which as you said add next to nothing for extra load on the system. Everything works perfect as I had expected it to, but then I also have the stock lights on my triglide.

Keep in mind the bikes electrical system is looking for a Load on its electrical system which would cause the turn signals not to blink. I put LED lights on my trailer and no flashing without the equalizer.( This was before I installed the Bright Ass Tail lights.)

From what I have heard and read that not all Tri Glides need a equalizer. Go figure??

Thanx everyone for all the comments regarding the wiring issue. I decided on going with Kuryakan plug and play wiring harness complete with isolator for the touring Harleys. Great setup and easy plug and play. Checked the functions after installed and it really worked at the trailer plug. Will check out the trailer lights at a later date, but soon. Making a trailer hitch assembly for the 2011 Tri glide first.:wtg::beerchug:

An equalizer is a small price to pay to protect your electrical system. All of my bikes that I used to pull trailers had an equalizer. If for some reason you get a short in your trailer wiring it can fry your bike harness, at least that is what I was told.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skijudge
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png