Justjimpdd

I have a 2017 FLHTCUTG, I finally after 5 years, got the clutch re-call fixed. Had to get in touch with another dealer. I won't get into that too much, but still have trouble starting it in gear. Possibly Harley thought they were doing something constructive when they came up with the hydraulic clutch. Aside from that is there a fix for my problem? Almost got rear-ended because I killed it at a stop light and you know how easy it is to find Neutral when you have cars and trucks bearing down on you at a busy intersection. I had a very good friend get killed because of the same thing.

I have never in my life tried to start my bike or trike without depressing the clutch. Probably not too many people do. To me this is a safety issue. If I kill it, which I've done over the years, I could always pull the clutch in and start it while I was still rolling, then go.

I've read plenty of threads that are both for and against being able to start with it in gear.

If anyone has a suggestion for a fix I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks in advance!

Jim, Welcome to Trike Talk and your first post

HD has an upgrade left hand switch pak and lever that makes for better starting in neutral

Check this HD bulletin

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10135420-9999.pdf

Thanks Jack,

I wonder if that is what they just installed on my Trike. I am supposed to pick it up in a little while.

The Service Manager told me when I called him that they had it done yesterday, he hasn't rode it yet to check it out. But, he did say that I

couldn't start it in gear. Like I said, I've waited for 5 years to get the recall, he also said there was a second recall on the clutch.

Maybe when I get it back I'll be able to find Neutral easier with the 2 recalls.

Thanks again, I appreciate it. I printed the pic you sent. I'll take it with me when I go.

I have a 2017 FLHTCUTG, I finally after 5 years, got the clutch re-call fixed. Had to get in touch with another dealer. I won't get into that too much, but still have trouble starting it in gear. Possibly Harley thought they were doing something constructive when they came up with the hydraulic clutch. Aside from that is there a fix for my problem? Almost got rear-ended because I killed it at a stop light and you know how easy it is to find Neutral when you have cars and trucks bearing down on you at a busy intersection. I had a very good friend get killed because of the same thing.

I have never in my life tried to start my bike or trike without depressing the clutch. Probably not too many people do. To me this is a safety issue. If I kill it, which I've done over the years, I could always pull the clutch in and start it while I was still rolling, then go.

I've read plenty of threads that are both for and against being able to start with it in gear.

If anyone has a suggestion for a fix I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks in advance!

Jim Welcome to Trike Talk..👍…With my 2017 Triglide i stalled it a few times coming off a red light embarrassing to say the least …And I haven’t stalled a bike That many times since the 60’s . My work a round was an adjustable clutch lever set it on #2 and that solved the staling Problem..(For me)….But if it was in gear A break had to be applied either a foot or the handbrake..My 2019 Triglide if it’s in gear the brake has to be applied before it will start ..

Jim Welcome to Trike Talk..👍…With my 2017 Triglide i stalled it a few times coming off a red light embarrassing to say the least …And I haven’t stalled a bike That many times since the 60’s . My work a round was an adjustable clutch lever set it on #2 and that solved the staling Problem..(For me)….But if it was in gear A break had to be applied either a foot or the handbrake..My 2019 Triglide if it’s in gear the brake has to be applied before it will start ..

I've stalled this one more than once. Scares me! I don't think it was a good move on Harley's part for making it that way. I've been riding since the '50's and haven't killed it as many times as I have this one. I guess new is not always better.

I've looked at the adjustable levers but always out of stock and they say you still have to put it in neutral to start it.

I think my main problem is that I don't have large hands, the friction point is almost to the end of my reach. If I could find the adjustable ones I would probably jump on it. I've came across black ones, but not chrome, or probably polished aluminum.

It is something I'm considering, even if they are black. Everything around it is black anyway so wouldn't really be a problem if it solves my problem. Thanks for the input!

Another vote for Softbrake. I only replaced the clutch lever because the brake lever doesn’t require much finesse. I don’t understand the service department saying that you can’t start it in gear. As Rhino 2 stated, pull clutch and apply either brake and it should start.

Welcome to Trike Talk Jim!

Thank you, glad to be added! I'm not too good on computers and worse on finding my way around on a forum. Maybe if I get on here enough I'll be able to do a little better! I am pretty good at what everyone says, which is good for a Marine! By the way I like either orange or purple crayons!

Welcome to Trike Talk Jim. I wouldn't worry about stalling your engine. Everyone has probably done it more than once. When in gear, you do have to pull in your clutch and put your foot or hand brake on. While in neutral, you just hit the start button. Take your trike to a parking lot. Start and stop till you get used to it. Good luck. Jerry

It would be nice if you can start it while you still rolling through the intersection instead of having to hit your brakes so the guy behind you has a better change running into you.

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, I don't like the current set up, clutch in, brake on, then it starts.

HD is between a rock and a hard spot...they are trying to make the bikes safer for those that don't have much experience riding (have you ever seen those videos of folks starting in gear, then panicking, twisting the throttle and then crashing into something), but there are obvious unintended consequences.

On thing you can do to make neutral easier to find is make sure the primary is not even a little over filled. Even an ounce or two too much will make the clutch plates drag, making neutral harder to find.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png