Do Trikes really have more storage???

Mar 5, 2011
Batavia, IL USA
Why do people think Trikes have so much trunk space, and think we can haul all their junk....just NOT true. My Harley Trike has the same storage as my husbands Ultra.

I know there are some trikes that have lots of space, but I just find it funny that because you add a 3rd wheel to ...for example, an Harley Ultra classic, that people think it has all this extra storage. SO.....where do they think the side bag storage went when the third wheel was added. Yeah, I got a trunk in the back...but the total storage is about the same as the two side bags, which I lost.

When I was at the dealership last weekend, I heard a guy say as he was looking at a trike....."Yeah, I'll get my wife this trike, and then she can haul all our cr@p". It was the Street Glide trike....and it did NOT even have the Ultra tour pack trunk on it. I just shook my head in disbelief....just look at it dude....where do you see all the storage??

FYI....I can't even add cup holders to my tike as I don't have the rails from the luggage racks that I had on the 2WMC.

Anyone else experience this misconception

Yup! Thought we'd have room, but nooooooooo. Went from an Ultra AND a Sportster 1200 to a GW1800 CSC - but now we pull a neat little Escapade. I call it my makeup kit, but it's really full of cooler, clothes and extra boots. Rain suits, cameras and my purse fill up the tour pak; tools, flashlights, etc. in the trunk.

Yup! Thought we'd have room, but nooooooooo. Went from an Ultra AND a Sportster 1200 to a GW1800 CSC - but now we pull a neat little Escapade. I call it my makeup kit, but it's really full of cooler, clothes and extra boots. Rain suits, cameras and my purse fill up the tour pak; tools, flashlights, etc. in the trunk.

Yep...u know what I am talking about.....I love that you call it the "makeup" kit. That is another pet peeve of mine. Men always accuse us women of bring sooo much stuff....but it seems to me that I am always hauling his stuff for rides - rain suits, advil, baby asprin, comb, sunglasses, etc. as well as the other essential safety stuff. Is it really me filling up the trunk???

Maybe not bigger but things fit that won't in a 2 wheeler . In my DFT trunk I can fit 7 folding Golf chairs ,or I can fit 3 3/4 helmets. And when i won the Best in show 4' tall trophy it went right into the trunk.

Maybe not bigger but things fit that won't in a 2 wheeler . In my DFT trunk I can fit 7 folding Golf chairs ,or I can fit 3 3/4 helmets. And when i won the Best in show 4' tall trophy it went right into the trunk.

John hit it on the head. When my wing was a 2 wheels I had more space for sure for little things. As a road smith you have the big trunk and upper trunk, you can haul bigger stuff, but I find I need to orginize the little junk we carry more.

I have a 96se 1500 which we bought new had a lehman kit installed in 06.
The two saddle bags that came with the bike can be put in the lower trunk plus another travel bag plus all of my emergency supplies,which consist of jumper cables,fix a flat a air compressor,some first aid stuff,black tape, duct tape and some extra tools,so far never had to use any of the emergency stuff.
So with the lehman kit I do have more room..
:AllGood::AllGood::AllGood::AllGood:

Not mine! The trunk on the Lehman "Tramp" could probably hold quite a bit, but with that weird V-shaped opening I can't get stuff IN there to even see if it'll fit!! :D

Ah well, just means nobody ELSE can ask me to carry their stuff, either! :laugh:

But Cheri How big was the trunk on it when it had 2 wheels And you cold add a rear top trunk

I love the room in the trunk on my Tri-Glide. Travelling for a living, I can usually carry all work clothes in tourpak and computer, work tools, raingear,etc in trunk. And always room for my emergency clown nose.

I too have more room on my GL/Roadsmith trike than I do my BMW R1200RT. AS said above I can also haul larger items like an ice cooler that I like to take with me. But I do agree with the point made and that is I often get asked to go get the beer at the rallys I go to or haul someone else's stuff to the rally.

But Cheri How big was the trunk on it when it had 2 wheels And you cold add a rear top trunk

Got it with 3 wheels, so no idea what it would hold on 2. As for a top trunk, tried that, but it was cheap plastic so I took it back off. When I find one that's a bit sturdier, I'll probably get another one though. :)

My Hannigan BMW K1200LT definately has more room in the trunk than it had in the two saddlebags. Claim is equal to 6 saddlebags.. I would say close. I can put my Cajun Accordion in it's case in the trunk and still have room for my drawers and such.....

Since spending a Lota' Time lookin' at various Trikes, talkin' to Owners while out "ambassoring" for TRIKE TALK .com the "Vast Majority" of Trikes seem to have more space. I do see some with only a tiny Trunk though, and no other storage area, that have waaay less storage than a lota' Motorcycles. Most of these are built from Cruisers though, that had virtually no storage in the beginning...Racks or Top Cases help this situation a lot.....ThumbUp

Our Boss Hoss 57 Chevy trike has a cavern for a trunk,about 6 cubic feet of space. The Sierra body has over 10 cubic feet,a black hole. :yes:

The thing about the trike trunk is not that it's necessarily MORE space than a bike with bags and tour pack, but that it's a big chunk of space, like for larger bags or other items.

OTOH, my previous bike was a 13-year-old Suzuki 800 with just some small saddle bags, so my trike trunk is like a whole new world of cargo space.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png