Likes Likes:  12
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Technician VS Mechanic: What's The Difference?

  1. #1
    Sponsor
    TrikeTalk Sponsor
    DK Custom Products's Avatar
    User ID
    15624
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Red Banks, MS
    Posts
    8,701
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    300

    Default Technician VS Mechanic: What's The Difference?

    www.DKCustom.com
    DK Custom YouTube Channel
    Call: 662-252-8828 Text: 662-420-4891
    Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

  2. DKCustoms postbit
  3. #2
    8250+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    TrikeTalk Moderator
    trike lady's Avatar
    User ID
    336
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lovington, NM, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,335
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    300

    Default

    If you had seen some of the 'Goof balls' that graduated from Wyotech in Florida years ago, you wouldn't want these people working on your lawn mower. I was in the top ten of my class for Harley Davidson, but I was returning back to trike building not a dealership. Most of the grads would have been nothing more than 'Parts Changers'. The knowledge I have is primarily for Goldwings and my aging brain can bring forth information when it needs to, it takes a while but it arrives to be shared with others.

    Funny things is when I hear the term 'Technician' I always think of an individual who works on 'Sophisticated' electronics and computers. But the way today's vehicles are with all the electronics the title fits. As with any job you do, always pay attention to detail and not many people will do this: when I assemble lets say a trike conversion, I tighten the bolts on that assembly, then torque them to spec and place a paint mark on those bolts and that is a sign that they are done right.
    Retired trike builder
    America's first lady trike builder.
    Go Navy!

  4. #3
    Sponsor
    TrikeTalk Sponsor
    DK Custom Products's Avatar
    User ID
    15624
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Red Banks, MS
    Posts
    8,701
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
    If you had seen some of the 'Goof balls' that graduated from Wyotech in Florida years ago, you wouldn't want these people working on your lawn mower. I was in the top ten of my class for Harley Davidson, but I was returning back to trike building not a dealership. Most of the grads would have been nothing more than 'Parts Changers'. The knowledge I have is primarily for Goldwings and my aging brain can bring forth information when it needs to, it takes a while but it arrives to be shared with others.

    Funny things is when I hear the term 'Technician' I always think of an individual who works on 'Sophisticated' electronics and computers. But the way today's vehicles are with all the electronics the title fits. As with any job you do, always pay attention to detail and not many people will do this: when I assemble lets say a trike conversion, I tighten the bolts on that assembly, then torque them to spec and place a paint mark on those bolts and that is a sign that they are done right.
    Thank you for your sharing your experience.

    Yes, a conscientious tech who has mechanical skills and takes care/pride in their work is what is needed, and seems to be getting shorter and shorter in supply.

    Kevin
    www.DKCustom.com
    DK Custom YouTube Channel
    Call: 662-252-8828 Text: 662-420-4891
    Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

  5. Love Jugs
  6. #4
    400+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    Sidecarbill's Avatar
    User ID
    18278
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sussex nj usa
    Posts
    2,109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    178

    Default

    Well when I retired from my job, the only thing I did was computer related. I seldom did actual mechanical repairs. I got to the point where where if you didn't look something up you would be wasting time. For instance no turn signal on front right. well bulb won't fix it and you could look forever for a turn signal relay it doesn't have. Something as simple as a spark plug wire routed a different way. If you put a different brand spark plug than original it would set a code. So I guess there are no more mechanics. They're no longer in demand. Techs that can diagnose computer problems are more in demand. My shop didn't want anything to do with heavy mechanical.

  7. #5
    15500+ Posts
    Tech Contributor
    Gold Club Member
    Jack Klarich's Avatar
    User ID
    24367
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Jax, Fla USA
    Posts
    15,854
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    300

    Default

    IMO, mechanics rebuild- repair

    Technicians diagnose and component replace parts
    Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride"(Sober 35 years)
    Current ride : 2021 FREEWHEELER M8

  8. #6
    3250+ Posts bikerbillone's Avatar
    User ID
    9350
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    3,366
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    224

    Default

    Trike Lady, DK, you are so right. So hard to find good support person for our ride these days. If you can't fix it yourself you face a long ride to somewhere for a hopeful fix, and takes how long? Who knows? Look anywhere, the world is a mess, can you say "incompetent leadership"?

  9. #7
    20+ Posts
    User ID
    30245
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    CATSKILL MTS USA
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    I think the other problem is the finding teachers that know what they are teaching. The other problem is what every you want to call them they more worry about seeing who call called or text and taking a puff. You aways see then behind the shop. The bottom line is to find a good one that enjoys what he's doing which is harder and harder to find. Most of the ones can to you everything but when it gets time to do it that's a different story. That's in everything not just the motorcycle world.

  10. DKCustoms postbit
  11. #8
    87000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    rhino 2's Avatar
    User ID
    6298
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Utopia New Jersey USA..
    Posts
    88,444
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    300

    Default

    The difference is..........$$$.........

    And The Third Category....The Prima-Donna's.....$$$$$$$
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2019 Tri-Glide.......

  12. #9
    15500+ Posts
    Tech Contributor
    Gold Club Member
    Jack Klarich's Avatar
    User ID
    24367
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Jax, Fla USA
    Posts
    15,854
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino 2 View Post
    The difference is..........$$$.........

    And The Third Category....The Prima-Donna's.....$$$$$$$
    The dollars should IMO trickle down to the employees doing the work, but most often the big bucks get sucked up by the owners of the dealership
    Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride"(Sober 35 years)
    Current ride : 2021 FREEWHEELER M8

  13. Love Jugs
  14. #10
    87000+ Posts
    Gold Club Member
    rhino 2's Avatar
    User ID
    6298
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Utopia New Jersey USA..
    Posts
    88,444
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Klarich View Post
    The dollars should IMO trickle down to the employees doing the work, but most often the big bucks get sucked up by the owners of the dealership
    If all Employer's paid and treated their worker's properly.....There wouldn't be many Independent shops around so as to get the work done cheaper.....
    Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar.....
    2019 Tri-Glide.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Repair technician
    By jballew in forum Stallion Trikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-22-2022, 10:01 AM
  2. Mobile Stallion Technician...
    By StallionTech in forum Stallion Trikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-29-2014, 01:09 PM
  3. Trike mechanic in WV?
    By mw1151 in forum Harley Trike Conversions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 05:04 PM
  4. The Small Town Mechanic Hero
    By 1550vt in forum Harley Trike Conversions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 04:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •