Time to get started!

Apr 23, 2022
Clayton, NC USA
Finally found the time and funding to get started putting the trike back on the road.

I have the mechanical / metal structures, but there is NO electrical system right now. I've looked and because this is my first go around on something like this, I'm looking for suggestions or pointers on a harness set up.

It seems to me that there aren't any complete harnesses. That if I want blinkers, that takes a separate harness. OR is there an all encompassing harness for all the electrics on the whole scooter?

It also looks like you can spend a 100 dollars or 500, or WAY more to get this system together. I just don't want to go too cheap, but don't want to break the bank either.

I'm just wanting to get this started, so that by Spring, this ratty ol' beast can be on the road again. And until I have an electrical system, l can do nothing with the bike.

So, that's where I am. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Several different ways to go.

1) buy some wire and download the VW diagram and get with it.

Pros.....least expensive

Can put stuff wherever you want.

Cons...... undocumented wiring.... probably all the same color (very hard to service or trouble shoot).

2) get the $100 universal starter kit and download the VW diagram and figure it out.

Pros....assortment of colors and a labeled fuse box.

Cons......still a lot of work.

3) get the more expensive VW (or VW dune buggy) complete wiring harness kit.

Pros....easiest to understand

Wires colors.

Wires with labels..ie "right front signal" label on the wire.

Most complete.

Cons....made for a car.

There will be modifications......ie hooking a motorcycle turn signal switch to VW.

Stuck with the VW style fuse box.

Stuck with VW wire lengths.

My personal favorite.....

The universal hot rod fuse box. The VW wiring diagram. The motorcycle wiring diagram. The how to wire a hot rod write up. And lots of time.

Build one circuit at a time and get it to work.

Several different ways to go.

1) buy some wire and download the VW diagram and get with it.

Pros.....least expensive

Cons...... undocumented wiring.... probably all the same color (very hard to service or trouble shoot).

2) get the $100 universal starter kit and download the VW diagram and figure it out.

Pros....assortment of colors and a labeled fuse box.

Cons......still a lot of work.

3) get the more expensive VW (or VW dune buggy) complete wiring harness kit.

Pros....easiest to understand

Wires colors.

Wires with labels..ie "right front signal" label on the wire.

Most complete.

Cons....made for a car.

There will be modifications......ie hooking a motorcycle turn signal switch to VW.

Stuck with the VW style fuse box.

Stuck with VW wire lengths.

My personal favorite.....

The universal hot rod fuse box. The VW wiring diagram. The motorcycle wiring diagram. The how to wire a hot rod write up. And lots of time.

Build one circuit at a time and get it to work.

A.) thanks for the various ideas.

B.) I love your screen name, that's one of my favorite jokes!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce Tapscott aka T.P.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce Tapscott aka T.P.
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png